Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Beginner from Surrey, UK

Walker

Hi All, 

I am a total beginner at star gazing and I received one as a gift recently, after a lengthy google search I don't think its a very good one. However, I have read that it is important to persevere! 

My telescope didn't come with the make, however, the model is 76mm by 700mm. 

SR44mm/ H 20 mm/ H12.5mm/ 3 X Barlow lens/ 1.5 erecting eye piece. 

I am aware that my eye piece (lenses) aren't very good ( the internet informed me, Ha), I am wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of eyepieces (lenses) that work for my telescope? If I am honest, I have no idea what I am doing but I really want to get into star gazing.  

Thank you in advance , any help will be appreciated. 

Welcome to SGL from another learner. If you can't find a maker's name on your telescope, post a picture - there will almost certainly be someone who recognises it. Knowing what it is will help get you good advice more quickly. Before you buy any eyepieces, make sure you have the correct size (diameter of fitting). Most modern scopes accept 1.25" or 2" (or both) but some cheap ones have less common sizes. Yours is likely to accept 1.25" but do check before buying.

Edited by wulfrun
clarity
  • Like 1

Your telescope is f10 and so will work fine with Plossl eyepieces, which are relatively inexpensive. But buy a recognised brand and not just the cheapest.

Also, as others have said check the barrel size before buying anything.  You can buy adaptors for 0.965" to 1.25" but that is only good for higher powered eyepieces (shorter focal length, smaller lens elements).

If you do have a 0.965" barrel focuser you will find it difficult now to buy eyepieces in that size that are any good, other than old ones.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Eyepieces come in varying designs and production quality, with prices to match.

The "H" probably indicates a Huygens design, and "SR" a Symmetric Ramsden. You may have already figured out from the internet that these are quite basic designs. Even quite expensive telescopes come with basic "stock" eyepieces that don't do justice to the scope. Having said that, the focal ratio of your scope is in excess of F/9 ("slow"), which means it will be fairly forgiving of the more basic designs.

As mentioned above, the BST Starguiders are a good next step up from stock eyepieces and you should certainly see a difference. There are many useful threads in this forum that will be of interest, but you could start here:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/43171-eyepieces-the-very-least-you-need/

other links:

https://agenaastro.com/articles/guides/eyepieces-binoviewers/choosing-eyepieces-for-your-telescope.html

https://britastro.org/node/10878

Edited by Zermelo

Welcome aboard SGL. Good to have you with us.

Don't worry we all started out knowing little, but the fun is in exploring and finding out. There's also a weath of friendly advice on here and no question is considered too daft to ask. Reading some of the other and older threads can also be quite enlightening.

I started out with a telescope like that and used it for a year or two before I upgraded... in fact I've still got it in the attic.  The small field of view can make finding objects a bit of a challenge, but with a bit of care and patience you'll be surprised at what you can hunt down and see.  Getting yourself a star atlas or one of the many apps (Stellarium and Skysafari are both very good), and learning the constellations and main stars will stand you in great stead for finding some of the jewels.

Many people on here recommend "Turn Left at Orion" as a great introduction to the night skies and some popular objects to observe with a smaller scope. I must admit, I agree and have a copy.

I'd recommend having a good play with the scope during daylight (avoiding the sun, should it actually appear at some time) of course. Getting familiar with how to move it, how much sky (or brickwork on distant buildings!) you're seeing with different eyepieces will give you a sense of scale. You won't be able to focus on anything very close, but that's normal.

On the eyepiece front, I'd be another who recommends the Starguiders. I have one and it gives my others a good run for their money. But just because the internet says the older ones are not very good, that doesn't make them worthless. As I said, I stuck with my plastic H eyepieces for quite a while and saw a fair bit. Give 'em a try before you diss them 🙂

Welcome, Walker 😀

Spend some time with your telescope actually using it before you spend some money on anything else ! You may be surprised by what it can show you (when the clouds part, obviously ... ) and read through some of the recent threads in the 'Beginners' section, lots of help for us newbies from people with the knowledge. There's a wealth of free information out there on the internet too.

Heather

9 hours ago, Walker said:

Hi All, I am a total beginner at star gazing and I received one as a gift recently, after a lengthy google search I don't think its a very good one. However, I have read that it is important to persevere!  ...  76mm by 700mm. SR44mm/ H 20 mm/ H12.5mm/ 3 X Barlow lens/ 1.5 erecting eye piece. I am aware that my eye piece (lenses) aren't very good ( the internet informed me, ...)

Welcome.  Any telescope is better than no telescope. Galileo changed a civilizaton with an instrument one-tenth of yours, more for the clarity of your glass than the mere power of magnification. 

You can get some good opinions here if you take it all with a grain of salt. You seem to have a good, basic instrument.

I have a ten-inch in the garage and use my 70-mm far more often. My preferred telescope is 102 mm and an f/6.47. I like the 70-mm because it is an f/10.  You have an f/9 focal ratio (700/76 = 9.2) which gives you good potential for more magnification when you want it. Also, you have a good range of eyepieces ("oculars"). You will find that your Barlow and the 1.5 erecting will give the other eyepieces some extra (serviceable) power.  Usually, wider views are better than stronger ones, but it depends. With your telescope, you ought to be able to see the rings of Saturn and the moons of Jupiter and enjoy the close conjunction. The Moon will become a familiar neighbor. Mars will be a disk. You might make out some shading. You can find a list of easy and attractive binary stars to pursue, such as Albireo, the Foot of the Cross or the Head of the Swan, a stunning pair. There are others, easy and with color contrast.

6 hours ago, Floater said:

Welcome. You’re in the right place for good advice, as above.  I hope you have lots of fun with your new scope and do, certainly, persevere. 🙂

If you go out an hour a month, at the end of a year, you are like at lunch on your second day on a new job. It is a learning curve. If you find this fascinating (as we all do), then your first telescope will not be your last.

5 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Welcome, Walker 😀 Spend some time with your telescope actually using it before you spend some money on anything else ! You may be surprised by what it can show you (when the clouds part, obviously ... ) and read through some of the recent threads in the 'Beginners' section, lots of help for us newbies from people with the knowledge. There's a wealth of free information out there on the internet too. Heather

Your local library will have books. The books will explain to you want you are looking at. I mean, just for instance, the Andromeda Galaxy is an easy target. But it will not look like it does in a television show. Nonetheless, when you spot it and view it and consider what you have found, you cannot help but be inspired by your own achievement. 

Best Regards,

Mike M.

Vice President,
Austin Astronomical Society
mike49mercury@gmail.com
STELLAE AVTEM HARENAE.

Hi All,

Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes, quick responses and really helpful information. I am going to spend more time with my telescope and playing around the eye pieces a little more. Honestly, it has been so helpful and I can't wait to go through your responses again and the forum generally!