Narrowband

Eyepieces - the very least you need.

A very imformative post WH must have took some time to type out.

I agree with everything you say and eventually my plan is also to slim my collection down to 4 good eyepieces.

I do not like barlows so my ideal collection to accompany my dob will be.

26T5

17E

13E

8E

Better start playing the lottery :cool:

• Like 2

:)Hi Warthog,

Thanks very much, that's a really helpful post. There's so much to learn in this hobby!

I'm really looking forward to when my barlow arrives but the lovely weather and clear skies will probably have finished by then! :cool:

Liz

• Like 2

good post! I completely agree that 200 is about the limit for a dob.

Under our skies yes but I've read so many times on Cloudy nights that they in the USA can get x600 + from their dobs. Their seeing is far superior to ours but you still need to track, unless they have tracking mounts as well.

A very imformative post WH must have took some time to type out.

I agree with everything you say and eventually my plan is also to slim my collection down to 4 good eyepieces.

I do not like barlows so my ideal collection to accompany my dob will be.

26T5

17E

13E

8E

Better start playing the lottery :cool:

Yeah, my dream kit would look like that, too, but I find my Antares Speers-WALERs good value. This took me about two weeks to write and edit, and there are still a couple of minor things I could change.

Thanks!

• Like 3

Under our skies yes but I've read so many times on Cloudy nights that they in the USA can get x600 + from their dobs. Their seeing is far superior to ours but you still need to track, unless they have tracking mounts as well.

for me Doc, it's not the seeing that's the issue but the tracking. At 150x an planet moves across the fov in about 2 minutes (I guess ?) and the image isn't that good at the edges anyway so at 600x you'd be moving the scope about every 20 seconds :icon_salut:. Unless their dobs are so smoooooooooooooooth that that can keep the object in the middle of the fov all the time without any vibration (I know I can't:icon_confused:) I don't get it:icon_scratch:

ps I think there's quite a lot of bull**it on CN as in my scopes bigger than yours, my scopes good up to 1,000 times etc etc

• Like 5

Warthog,

Thanks for the excellent post. I like the fact that it's a relatively simple method to follow, so people with little experience can work out an EP selection without getting too bogged down by jargon.

Dave.

• Thanks 1

ps I think there's quite a lot of bull**it on CN as in my scopes bigger than yours, my scopes good up to 1,000 times etc etc

I agree here, most of what I read I do not really believe and take it with a grain of salt, but there's alot of people who do use very high mags with dobs.

It is possible just needs mega practice.

great post, Warthog and a nice way of simplifying it all. Easy to understand and will help people get the most out of their money but more importantly most of what they can get out of their scope.

Andrew

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This was so helpful for me. Reading through my user manual was pretty basic but this thread really cleared some things up.

My Scope is a F/8.6 and came with a 9mm, 25mm and 2x Barlow lens. So from what was posted above it appears that I have the standard high power and low power eye pieces.

Would you all recommened any other sizes?

This was so helpful for me. Reading through my user manual was pretty basic but this thread really cleared some things up.

My Scope is a F/8.6 and came with a 9mm, 25mm and 2x Barlow lens. So from what was posted above it appears that I have the standard high power and low power eye pieces.

Would you all recommened any other sizes?

You might want to post this question in the beginners section as well to get some other views but I'd suggest a 32mm Plossl which will give you nice low power views. With the barlow lens you would have quite a comprehensive range of powers then.

John

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

Been reading up a lot on EP. Seems like I am going to get an 8 inch f/5 reflector. It will come with a 20mm plossl so thats 50x.

I've read that fast telescopes need better EP and more expensive barlow lenses, I was planning on getting the cheapest ones which were the Skywatcher plossls/barlows, do you think they will work well, and if so, what size, if I only buy one I would buy the 7.5mm one and maybe a barlow lens with it

Hi

Been reading up a lot on EP. Seems like I am going to get an 8 inch f/5 reflector. It will come with a 20mm plossl so thats 50x.

I've read that fast telescopes need better EP and more expensive barlow lenses, I was planning on getting the cheapest ones which were the Skywatcher plossls/barlows, do you think they will work well, and if so, what size, if I only buy one I would buy the 7.5mm one and maybe a barlow lens with it

That would be a good choice with that scope, but if you are going to buy only one ep, spend a little more money and get a good one. Apparently the Meade 4000 Superwides are a good choice. You can use the 20mm as a low power ep and add eps as you save for them. It doens't take long to accumulate a good set of eps.

• 3 weeks later...

Brilliant post, thanks!

I have recently purchased SW explorer 150PL so using your guide I should go for 6, 10, 16 and 24mm EP's. The EP's supplied with this scope are 10mm, 25mm and 2x barlow, giving effective range of 5, 10, 12.5 and 25mm which seems like a reasonable match.

I'd be interested in upgrading the supplied EP's, and/or adding to the existing EP's but I'm not sure which way to go. Should I add to existing ones, or replace the ones I have (or both!)

Secondly, it seems that you can spend £20 on an eyepiece, or upwards of £400!! What sort of EP would be considered "good quality" for most people? Is £40 enough, or should I be looking at spending more. Any recommendations on makes/models of reasonably priced quality EPs would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Like 3

.Any recommendations on makes/models of reasonably priced quality EPs would be appreciated.

Thanks

You get what you pay for with eyepieces but, for your scope, the TAL, Skywatcher, Meade or Celestron plossls will work pretty well.

First Light Optics have a good deal on Skywatcher Plossl's at the moment:

Skywatcher - Skywatcher SP Plossl eyepieces

John