Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2 hours ago, Ruud said:

I once was stupid enough to buy a bottle of Baader's liquid. 

I must be one of the thousands of stupid people that have purchased Baader fluid and been very happy with the results. For £12 I am not going to risk mixing my own, especially as I understand the purity of products can vary. Reminds me of a chap I knew a few years back who said I was wasting my money purchasing a decent oil for my engine, Strange how he later had premature engine wear/ failure , need a say more. You pays your money and takes your choice. For £12 I will keep my Baader fluid, stuff lasts ages and is in a nice convenient spray bottle.

• Like 1

I actually use Baader fluid. Wonderful stuff and affordable. Life's too short to make my own. And the volumes I use mean it's not worth the hassle.

I'm just amused by Baader's claims. I'm particularly curious about "forms an invisible protective layer against bacteria..." What? It's leaving something on the surface of my lenses? What is it leaving behind?

Mind you, it it was branded "Takahashi", I'd be prepared to pay 10 times the price ND tell everyone how much better it is. Especially if it came in a shiny blue box 🙂

By the way, for those who use the same bottle over many years (me?), I wonder what chemicals are being leached out of the plastic bottle....maybe they are anti-fungal 🤔

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Just don't imply that other peoples choices are stupid - OK ?

It's not much to ask is it ?

Personally, and as a user of Baader's product, I didn't make that inference at all.

If you have the time and you're confident in and capable of finding the documentation, sourcing and mixing the ingredients and finding a suitable dispenser then you may well consider yourself stupid for buying the Baader fluid.  That doesn't mean you'd consider anyone else stupid for making a different choice.

James

I originally bought one bottle of Baader solution and have yet kept the bottle, then I found these pack of 4 spray bottles on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184364921926

I fill them with Isopropyl alcohol, one spray bottle for myself in the pocket to use as disinfectant when outside during Covid-19, one for my wife in her bag for the same purpose, and two in my lens cleaning kit sets, for use on eyepieces if they get dirty by oils from eyelashes or accidental fingerprints. I use the Baader bottle filled with Isopropyl alcohol too.

I bought one bottle of 1 litre Isopropyl alcohol one year ago for £5 and it was a great help during the pandemic. It is now one third of its original volume, and probably the best purchase I ever made. My TeleVue, Pentax eyepieces (which I purchased on the example of John Huntley, from Cloudynights forum)  and other optical surfaces are pristine as new, despite that these eyepieces are always on use.

I have seen (at least two separate people) spectacle lenses lose their coating as a result of repeated cleaning with neat IPA.
That IPA was from a known good source (for electronics use). Not something that potentially contains unknown or chemicals or impurities.

Optically I stay safe. A bottle of Baader fluid every couple of years for my optics is cheaper than a single eyepiece.
In the grand scheme of astro spend, Baader fluid and cloths are low cost.

Another way to to look at it is to consider if you had to go back to the retailer reporting coating damage.
I have just had the coatings come off my expensive eyepiece after cleaning with expensive Baader fluid. Both bought from you the astro retailer.
OR - I have just had the coatings come off after cleaning with cleaning fluid from elsewhere.

On the virus side of safety. The clever folks in white coats reckon 70/30 IPA/water is good enough.
My observation is that this still has very low surface tension, so penetrates nooks crannies and wrinkes.
It also removes a bit less natural grease from your skin.
Repeated exposure to neat IPA can lead to skin cracking due to losing the natural oils.
On cost. I bought a 5 litre bottle of 70/30 + moisturiser for not too much money, And a dozen little squeeze bottles.
They get left in the cars, pockets, clipped to a belt, etc.

HTH, David.

Edited by Carbon Brush

For discussions likes this, the best solution is the one from John. John W.  Pour about 80 mm of its fluid in a clean glass, it contains 40% alcohol, no need to mix, but make sure you have a nice blended fluid. 

carefully lay aside your telescope and other equipment.  Put your face up and aim for the nightsky.  Now lift that glass and enjoy, and lets all forget about this topic

Edited by Robindonne
  • Like 3

Hi all,

Just though I would post my experience with the Baader product today.

I purchased the set and an air blower/pump for the grand sum of £22 with post. My 14mm Morpheus had accumulated quite a bit of gunk on the lens in the two months I have owned it. After giving it a clean this morning I am delighted with the result, I was very reluctant to start cleaning my EP but the wonder clean was simple to use and very effective, the lens is once again spotless and I now have the confidence to clean my other EP's with this product when the need arises.

I am fortunate to own 3 of the Morpheus range now and find the £22 outlay very modest to keep these and my other EP's clean and muck free. 

Baz

DSC_0976.JPG

Edited by Barry-W-Fenner
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 09/09/2020 at 20:22, johninderby said:

+1 for the Baader Optical Wonder fluid. It simply works and I know it isn’t gping to harm the lens or objective that needs cleaning.

I use the baader cleaning fluid and cloth to clean my lens on my skymax 127, as John says I know I can use it and not harm anything on my telescope, £12 for the cleaning solution isn't a lot compared to the price of your scope, so best to use whars advised. I also use my celestron lens brush and pen on my eps ( I had this before getting the baader cleaning fluid) clear skies 

Edited by LeeHore7
  • Like 1