Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Curse of the Outside Light

tomato

None of my neighbours has a security light. 🥳🥳🥳

There is an anoying streetlight next to the garden but can observe from the side of the conservatory that shields the light so not too bad.

Edited by johninderby

5 hours ago, johninderby said:

None of my neighbours has a security light. 🥳🥳🥳

There is an anoying streetlight next to the garden but can observe from the side of the conservatory that shields the light so not too bad.

Give them time, give them time. ;) 

I have mused over the possibility of using a bright invisible infrared LED light directed at the sensor of the security light to kid it into thinking it was daylight. ;) I’m not sure it would work anyway. I guess it’s a matter of whether sufficient Watts per square metre can be delivered at the sensor. I am of course joking if any mods are reading this. :) 

5 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

I have mused over the possibility of using a bright invisible infrared LED light directed at the sensor of the security light to kid it into thinking it was daylight. ;) I’m not sure it would work anyway. I guess it’s a matter of whether sufficient Watts per square metre can be delivered at the sensor. I am of course joking if any mods are reading this. :) 

hmmm it'd not figure on daylight as I doubt the LDR would work that way, but... blinding it with IR may reduce it's ability to see movement across the PIR sensor field and achieve a result in it never turning on 😉 

Politicians and local councils need to be reminded of their responsibilties regarding climate emmission targets. There must be bye laws that prevent excess lighting and this growing needless waste of resources. 

Lasers shouldn’t be shone beyond ones property anyway. But in experiments at home I found that illuminating the photovoltaic of a solar powered security light with a torch does turn it off in the dark. A green laser on the other hand doesn’t. I assume this is because the laser although brighter emits very much less power than the torch. 

14 minutes ago, Slingshot said:

Politicians and local councils need to be reminded of their responsibilties regarding climate emmission targets. There must be bye laws that prevent excess lighting and this growing needless waste of resources. 

True, but a lot of the pressure has gone off since the introduction of LED streetlights which consume far less energy and thus help with their C reduction aims. They are also much cheaper, which unfortunately means they just install more of them 😞

11 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

True, but a lot of the pressure has gone off since the introduction of LED streetlights which consume far less energy and thus help with their C reduction aims. They are also much cheaper, which unfortunately means they just install more of them 😞

17 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Okay so maybe the councils and local authorites could be asked to switch off every other light for example - given these LED light are brighter?

Triggered lights aren't so bad - it's the permanent ones that are the big issue.  There is a retirement block to my south, and they have two intense lights on all night.  Lighting the rear of their premises is one thing, but illuminating the whole neighbourhood is unreasonable.  I approached the council, and they said it is not intrusion/pollution as far as the law is concerned.  

Still ongoing - I'm hoping they might put shielding on.  Meanwhile - like SSC above - I've erected a screen to block the lights from my direct line of sight.

Doug.

I don't know if it's illegal to give the lamp post a good wobble (works better with metal ones than concrete ones).

They are usually fitted with cut off devices to cut live power from the base in the event of a traffic accident, so it's not doing anything that isn't part of the design requirements.

As I say, I don't know if it's illegal.

4 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

I don't know if it's illegal to give the lamp post a good wobble (works better with metal ones than concrete ones).

They are usually fitted with cut off devices to cut live power from the base in the event of a traffic accident, so it's not doing anything that isn't part of the design requirements.

As I say, I don't know if it's illegal.

It's vandalism. If caught doing it you would get charged with putting public property out of action.

Do I have to keep repeating myself in this thread ?

No suggestions of vandalism or anything else of a similar sort please, or the thread gets locked.

• Like 2

On 09/08/2020 at 14:21, wookie1965 said:

This is what I have to contend with only its local council so nothing I can do, I did ask for a shield to be put up and they did this is the result so the shield was a waste of space.

20190410_212456.thumb.jpg.effae27f865aa66ae72d80cfc62681eb.jpg

IMG-20190324-WA0002.jpg.cfaa72fb848cf4f46b2458e2d248c302.jpg

20170925_195456.jpg

Yep,all those LED streetlights they've put up have far more glare than 'good' old sodium lighting. I'm often seen walking the streets after dark in sunglasses these days 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Nuisance LED PIR lights strike again... 

In my case a light shield fashioned from a building site fencing tarp taped to two broom handles, a couple of screws and pipe brackets solved it. 

Nice one SSC- an old ballroom mirror would be good.

Having read this thread, I finally contacted Leeds City Council to have a shield fitted to the lamp post that shines into our garden. Online form identified the offending lamp post and call to an attached tel. no. resulted in a shield fitted the following week.  Superb service.

John

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, westmarch said:

...I finally contacted Leeds City Council to have a shield fitted to the lamp post that shines into our garden. Online form identified the offending lamp post and call to an attached tel. no. resulted in a shield fitted the following week.  Superb service.

@westmarch - That's good to hear - how did you phrase the request, i.e. was it because of light trespass into windows, or did you just say about light in the garden?

Cheers
Ivor

1 hour ago, westmarch said:

Having read this thread, I finally contacted Leeds City Council to have a shield fitted to the lamp post that shines into our garden. Online form identified the offending lamp post and call to an attached tel. no. resulted in a shield fitted the following week.  Superb service.

John

Good news. My two requests to Liverpool City Council resulted in... silence...

What did you say?

• Sad 1

The Leeds Local Gov. website showed a google map that gave the code for each lamp post.  I contacted the tel. no. and spoke a call centre for the sub contractor.  I must confess that I said it was due to light trespass into a bedroom window, even though the lamppost is in front of my neighbours house.   They said that the council would review it and authorise a shield.  She said that normally they do it within two weeks.  The cherry picker showed up the following week and the job took literally five minutes.  I spoke to the engineer and he said that he fitted several a week. Maybe its COVID but nobody seems to be looking too deeply into the reasons for fitting.

My advice @Aramcheckand @ScouseSpaceCadetis to get a request in - what’s to loose?

Good luck.

John

Edited by westmarch

I may have some good news I reported the light again had a phone call from a gentleman gave me his email sent him some pictures. 

Sent me a email back said they are going to fit a another bulb with a narrower spread of light. 

So I will see how this goes in a few days crossed fingers it's loads better. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Hertford Stargazer said:

Oh dear, if the Daily Mail are correct there's gonna be a shortage of Solar Film in Swindon.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8697651/Swindon-street-lights-brighter-SUN-say-residents.html

They should buy solar panels and sell the power back to the council :D

James

• Like 1