Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

One small step - do you remember it?

RayD

51 years ago today Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin stepped out on to the surface of our moon.  Given that no one had ever stepped foot on to this surface before it was a pretty momentous occasion, and watched on TV by an estimated 1/5 of the world's population.

How much of it do you remember, if at all, and did this specific event kick start your interest in astronomy or science in general?

Edited by RayD
  • Like 1

I'm old enough to remember staying up to watch it on our little old TV. I watched every Apollo mission after that and persuaded my parents to buy me a small telescope for a birthday present.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the film when it came out last year.

• Like 2

Yes, black and white with so much "snow" I thought I lived in the arctic, not Florida!

Oh how things have changed! To think how clearly we can see images now from the orbiters all the way out to Pluto!

But, Juno and Cassini would have to be my favorites!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maw lod qan said:

Yes, black and white with so much "snow" I thought I lived in the arctic, not Florida!

Oh how things have changed! To think how clearly we can see images now from the orbiters all the way out to Pluto!

But, Juno and Cassini would have to be my favorites!

You know I was thinking just this when watching the docking of the Dragon module from the Space X launch.  It looked more like a video game, with 4k clarity meaning it seemed almost unreal (it definitely was before any conspiracy theorists think I am questioning it 😂).  When I watch footage of the Eagle module landing it seems so real and involving.  

• Like 1

Oh yes! As I said on my very first SGL post a few days ago, I’m sure Neil and Buzz played a part in my interest in astronomy. I was allowed to stay up all night (I was a young teenager at the time), and although the video quality was a bit lacking by today’s standards 😀, I wouldn’t have missed it for anything.

Happy memories!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RayD said:

You know I was thinking just this when watching the docking of the Dragon module from the Space X launch.  It looked more like a video game, with 4k clarity meaning it seemed almost unreal (it definitely was before any conspiracy theorists think I am questioning it 😂).  When I watch footage of the Eagle module landing it seems so real and involving.  few guys lounging around a control room occasionally looking at their PCs.  It looked so easy (sure it wasn’t) it makes you wonder why we aren’t going to the Moon on an excursion basis.

Just a few guys lounging around looking at their PCs.  It was boring - how it should be I suppose, but it looked so easy (a mark of how much work and innovation had gone into it all, no doubt) that it makes you wonder why we aren’t going to the moon on an excursion basis.

Compare that to the tension and drama generated by the hundreds of support engineers in NASA’s launch control centre back in the Apollo days, and the sheer spectacle of a Saturn V launch.  Technology has certainly moved on...

Edited by Hallingskies
  • Like 1

Yes, I remember it well and it was just into the early hours of the 21st UK time (BST) and it was my birthday.  I thought "What a fantastic birthday present!" 😁

• Like 2

Bonus points if you can do a "Neil impression"... Including burst of "static" of course? 🥳

Got "busted" walking out of skool (Head masters study and all that!) to watch one of
the later ones on mate's Colour TV. Spared "the rod", because of the... "good cause"? 😸

28 minutes ago, Gina said:

Yes, I remember it well and it was just into the early hours of the 21st UK time (BST) and it was my birthday.  I thought "What a fantastic birthday present!" 😁

Well may I be the first to wish you a very Happy Birthday for tomorrow, Gina 🎂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yes, watched on the B&W TV in fascination and wonder. I was already interested in the planets but no scope to use. Was beyond our means I expect, being one of 3 kids, plus all the travelling every couple years it'd have gotten wrecked in transit. Pity really as we may well have been able to pick up a quality japanese scope back then being in the far east at the time.

And I'll add my birthday wishes to you too Gina, many happy returns! 🙂 

Edited by DaveL59
  • Thanks 1

I was 28 at the time, my first wife was probably not interested enough to have stayed up and we had no children so not much of a family event to latch a memory to.  We did have a B & W TV and so I did watch it.

Happy birthday Gina, hope you see the next landing!     🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was a few days shy of my 7th birthday (July birthdays are the best eh Gina?) and was allowed to watch it as it happened- Dad got me out of bed for the one small step moment as I had gone to bed just like Neil and Buzz were supposed to do after we watched them land and get established at Tranquility Base. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I was a space nut before Apollo 11 but this just firmed things up. Most of my self generated projects at school were themed on space exploration. I am one of the millions of kids who just knew they wanted to be astronauts but didn't quite make it. I still want to be an astronaut but have accepted that it is a tad unlikely that I will make it.

• Like 2

I was 12 and allowed to stay up and watch the historic EVA, I was also fortunate to witness the Apollo 11 launch live from the Science Museum on a colour telly, no less!
It certainly kick started my astronomy interest, that and seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey, which came out in the same year. The following Christmas I was the proud owner of a Prinz Optics 2.5” refractor, complete with a sun filter that screwed into the end of the eye-piece, gulp! The interest did wain after a few years as other teenage interests took over, I sold the scope to the local scout group to pay for driving lessons.

However, the bug never really left me, and I returned to the hobby 15 years later for a brief period and again now after another 30 years. I can’t see me packing it in again until I’m too old or decrepit to use the kit.

Edited by tomato
  • Like 2

I was 9 years old when it all happened and remember it well.

Watching these missions unfold at that age is probably one of the main reasons that I'm into astronomy now and have been actively since I was 11 or so.

We set up an "information desk" at my school and had Airfix models of the LEM and Saturn V rocket plus the latest magazine and newspaper articles. We all thought we were James Burke I think :grin:

I can remember going outside and looking up at the moon when Neil and Buzz were up there and thinking "my gosh there are people actually there right now"

I've been lucky enough to visit the Kennedy Space Centre a few times over the years (including February this year) and never seem to tire of the exhibits and experiences there. Just being at the place where these missions launched is a thrill even though it was 50 years ago.

This was Pad 39a at KSC on 25th February this year, all prepped for the Falcon manned launch that took place in May:

P1090501.JPG

• Like 6