Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Lunt 40mm scope

Highburymark

7 hours ago, johninderby said:

And it’s tilt tuned which I prefer.👍🏻

2D550F97-A707-4949-A47B-DB55997126F8.jpeg

I assumed you meant tilt tuned John so have corrected your post 😉. A missing ‘l’ can play havoc with the meaning!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Bit more info.

$899.00

Weight 7 lbs

The New Lunt 40mm Solar Telescope is a F/10 hydrogen-alpha dedicated telescope.

Choice of Blocking Filter : B500 Standard (5mm)

B600 (6mm)

B1200 (12mm)

4.00mm Image Size

External etalon with tilt-tuning adjustment allows for a 0.70 Angstrom bandpass.

The Lunt 40mm comes with an integrated vixen style dovetail and non-rotating helical focuser. It’s the perfect telescope for beginners & enthusiasts alike. (Eyepiece not included).

Feather Touch Focuser  Upgrade recommended for Photographic Configurations

Edited by johninderby

And a non rotating focuser, which is an improvement on my otherwise excellent older small Lunt which has a rotating helical focuser that is perfectly good for visual, but not when using a camera.

All good stuff.

One with the FT focuser upgrade could be interesting but expensive.

Bit more than  a PST so UK price £999.00 perhaps? With the FT upgrade would be approching £1,500.00 though. Ouch 🙁

Edited by johninderby

I've wanted an H-alpha solar scope since I first looked through a PST in 2016 for the Mercury solar transit but held back because of minimal solar activity and price of course. This scope looks very good and would probably fit my needs very well. Perhaps I'll grab it in a couple of years when solar activity is higher again:rolleyes2:

That will also give me some time to save up:)

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

One with the FT focuser upgrade could be interesting but expensive.

Bit more than  a PST so UK price £999.00 perhaps? With the FT upgrade would be approching £1,500.00 though. Ouch 🙁

Yikes, that FT focuser 'upgrade' is more or less half the price of the scope !!!     In the States $250,  in the UK.... £450.... how does that work...exchange rates...trade tariffs ??

Lovely engineering it may be, but surely there must be a cheaper alternative somewhere out there. 

C'mon Baader...get to work on this one.

Edited by Craney

This focuser should fit and TS do custom adaptors so shouldn’t be a problem fitting it.

Just sold one that I had been using with a 127mak but sold the mak and didn’t need it any more. Sort of a mini Steeltrack.👍🏻

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p11734_TS-Optics-1-25----T2-Crayford-Focuser-for-Refractors--Cassegrains-----.html

0A9297DF-53FB-41DF-875F-A5EE83B1E116.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

This focuser should fit and TS do custom adaptors so shouldn’t be a problem fitting it.

Just sold one that I had been using with a 127mak but sold the mak and didn’t need it any more. Sort of a mini Steeltrack.👍🏻

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p11734_TS-Optics-1-25----T2-Crayford-Focuser-for-Refractors--Cassegrains-----.html

0A9297DF-53FB-41DF-875F-A5EE83B1E116.jpeg

If anyone has any luck with that pls say!  I asked TS about this earlier this yr (as a possibility for a Lunt 50).  The feedback I got from them was that this focuser pipe has no thread for connection so the challenge would be how to attach it to the Lunt.  I left it at that for the time being b/c my knowledge of mechanics & astro-gear is limited 🤷🏾‍♂️but maybe someone else can have better luck or ingenuity pls - this'd be a lot cheaper than the FT or Moonlite 1.25 focusers!

Cheers,

Vin

They have only just started taking pre-orders for the scope in the US with no delivery date given. I would guess in a couple of months in the US so who knows when in the UK or EU. 

Edited by johninderby

$599 for the bog standard version with a BF500, increasing when you take the higher end versions with the bigger BF.

Think if I ever upgrade from my starter 35 it will be to either a 50 or 60mm version 

The key question ... is the front mounted etalon obstructed or unobstructed ?

my guess at 40mm is unobstructed.

Brian 

Oh and should potentially offer the most affordable dual externally 

mounted etalon option since the LS 35.

Edited by Solar B

• 2 weeks later...

System Wavelength: 656.28nm. Hydrogen-alpha (tuneable, dedicated)
System Focal Length: f10
Sun Image Size: 3.67mm
Objective: Precision Doublet (Optimized at 656nm)
Blocking Filter: 5mm standard (upgradeable to 6mm or 12mm)
Etalon Size: 40mm full aperture precision Lunt Etalon
Etalon Peak Transmission: >88%
Etalon Net Finesse: 19
Etalon FSR (Free Spectral Range): 12 Angstroms
Etalon Tuning: Conventional Tilt through +/- 1 Angstrom
Etalon FWHM (Bandpass): <0.65 Angstrom
Weight of Telescope: 2.8lbs

Well it is unobstructed , I've no idea what the Etalon Net Finesse: 19 is a measurement 

scale of ? but that's what Etalon's are ultimately all about .... Finesse !

Brian 

• 1 month later...
On 24/08/2020 at 01:06, andre2 said:

Hi, waw!  There is someting verry cool I discover recently in this new Lunt 40. Not only the cute small Shape  and its nice red accents With the more neutral white tube. but also the  Sun image has a verry relaxt tint to it....Makes it better to look longer at it I believe and study its detail...if the 40 wold be at least  as good as the 35 🤩 then I  wil sell my pst and do some new expirience With the new 40! Thanks!

Sounds good Andre , are you able to add any pics of your scope ?

Brian 

Dond be  Sure if I will do an Upgrade , Both lunt 40 and Meade pst  Has their own Character. So, I dond know  if it's Really worth . I think I will stick with my pst. If Meade would introduce a new Meade Solarmax 40 scope for a soft price, I would rather go for that one.

Edited by andre2