Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

GREAT NEWS RE COMET NEOWISE - LOOKING GOOD TO BE AN EASY NAKED EYE COMET IN JULY

According to spaceweather.com  Comet Neowise looks good to be around 2nd mag in July. 

COMET NEOWISE UPDATE: Good news for sky watchers. The Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) is monitoring Comet NEOWISE (C/2020 F3) as it passes by the sun this week. Not only is the comet still intact, but also it has brightened to magnitude +2.4. This means it is likely to be an easy naked-eye object when it emerges from the sun's glare in mid-July. LATEST IMAGE.

OK, we've been here before, but it will be true some time!  I for one will be watching  its passage round the sun on the SOHO web page, with just about everything crossed that it gets round the sun unscathed!

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Remember when it appears it will be in strong moon light as well as strong twilight so don't expect too much from its first appearance..

Owen

Looks like it's going to be obscured by our vegetation at home, might get a view from upstairs windows but it's in the same direction as the city and rising daylight... might have to head out to see it the other side of town.

2 hours ago, Astroscot2 said:

I recall comet Pannstars a few years back,  it was bright when it emerged from the sun's glare but not that spectacular in the twilight glow

Great pics,

thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten that one ! My chums were interested to see it (just!) but rather underwhelmed, and to be honest so was I !

• Like 1

I seem to remember trying to find Pannstars on a freezing cold, part cloudy night in the middle nowhere with me wife (very unimpressed) After failing and driving home, the skies cleared so i drove back out. Stood in the snow covered ploughed field, i managed just a fleeting view similar to your photo. 

Not spectacular, but another Comet, so always a welcome sight 🙂 

• Like 2

Perihelion is 3 July, depends a bit on your latitude but I guess the comet will become visible early in the morning above the NE horizon around Wednesday or something. Very low and in full twilight, could be difficult. Later in the month the comet is placed in the evening sky, closest approach on 23 July but already much dimmer by then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/06/2020 at 11:17, John said:

Hope this one does not disappoint.

comet-neowise-finder-chart.jpg.1356c7e6eb1b0e12fb10c74c77af6705.jpg

I am no expert on following comets so forgive my naivety.

So Lynx & Ursa major are going to be cut in half by the comet according the the trajectory of this diagram and then it slips off down and through Virgo.

Given they are available through the night, does this mean that (silly question time) NeoWise is going to be a constant from this coming weekend until early August or am I missing something?

Steve

Assuming it stays bright enough - yes. Depending in your latitude, it could in effect be circumpolar. But for anyone mid-northern latitudes+ there is not much dark night at present. I'm at 53N and it's only dark from about 23.45 until 02.45 at the moment.  

41 minutes ago, Tenor Viol said:

Assuming it stays bright enough - yes. Depending in your latitude, it could in effect be circumpolar. But for anyone mid-northern latitudes+ there is not much dark night at present. I'm at 53N and it's only dark from about 23.45 until 02.45 at the moment.  

Same here in Burnley. Still I live in hope that we will get one nght when the skies clear and we get a amazing display of stellar beauty.

ps, being greedy and hoping for some noc clouds to top it off

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Same here in Burnley. Still I live in hope that we will get one nght when the skies clear and we get a amazing display of stellar beauty.

ps, being greedy and hoping for some noc clouds to top it off

I'm hoping Friday behaves as forecast....

• Like 2