Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep8_banner.thumb.jpg.7fc4114c7705b14c0786cf342cea1f9c.jpg

paulastro

GREAT NEWS RE COMET NEOWISE - LOOKING GOOD TO BE AN EASY NAKED EYE COMET IN JULY

Posted (edited)

According to spaceweather.com  Comet Neowise looks good to be around 2nd mag in July. 

COMET NEOWISE UPDATE: Good news for sky watchers. The Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) is monitoring Comet NEOWISE (C/2020 F3) as it passes by the sun this week. Not only is the comet still intact, but also it has brightened to magnitude +2.4. This means it is likely to be an easy naked-eye object when it emerges from the sun's glare in mid-July. LATEST IMAGE.

OK, we've been here before, but it will be true some time!  I for one will be watching  its passage round the sun on the SOHO web page, with just about everything crossed that it gets round the sun unscathed!

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Hope this one does not disappoint.

comet-neowise-finder-chart.jpg.1356c7e6eb1b0e12fb10c74c77af6705.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully this one won't disappoint. I'm camping in Cumbria the weekend of 17th July, so may actually see it!

779096490_Screenshot_20200626-1149372.thumb.png.ac4a53ccb4c78d6d084b706d9e714367.png

• Like 3

Remember when it appears it will be in strong moon light as well as strong twilight so don't expect too much from its first appearance..

Owen

• Like 1

what website is both easy to get around and has good tracking of the comet please

tia

steve

I recall comet Pannstars a few years back,  it was bright when it emerged from the sun's glare but not that spectacular in the twilight glow

cometmoon.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like it's going to be obscured by our vegetation at home, might get a view from upstairs windows but it's in the same direction as the city and rising daylight... might have to head out to see it the other side of town.

1 hour ago, Astroscot2 said:

panstarrsclose.jpg

That's a great picture. 

I'd be more than happy seeing the comet just like that.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Astroscot2 said:

I recall comet Pannstars a few years back,  it was bright when it emerged from the sun's glare but not that spectacular in the twilight glow

Great pics,

thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten that one ! My chums were interested to see it (just!) but rather underwhelmed, and to be honest so was I !

• Like 1

I seem to remember trying to find Pannstars on a freezing cold, part cloudy night in the middle nowhere with me wife (very unimpressed) After failing and driving home, the skies cleared so i drove back out. Stood in the snow covered ploughed field, i managed just a fleeting view similar to your photo. 

Not spectacular, but another Comet, so always a welcome sight 🙂 

• Like 2

I'm waiting anxiously and hoping this one puts on a good show in my Florida skies. I'm thinking early mornings in the next week or ten days it might start appearing?

That time line sound correct?

Perihelion is 3 July, depends a bit on your latitude but I guess the comet will become visible early in the morning above the NE horizon around Wednesday or something. Very low and in full twilight, could be difficult. Later in the month the comet is placed in the evening sky, closest approach on 23 July but already much dimmer by then.

• Thanks 1