SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EP3 - Sunday, 7th June 2020 7:30pm BST - Summer Observing Challenges by Dave Eagle

Grant

This Sunday at 7:30 we are joined by Dave Eagle of https://www.star-gazing.co.uk/. Dave is an amateur Astronomer, Planetarium Operator, Presenter, Author and Tutor, you may have read some of his books or come across one of his talks before.

Dave is going to treat us to an overview of interesting Summer observing targets and challenges :)

We look forward to seeing you Sunday, at 7:30PM. Zoom meeting details will be posted here Sunday.

Meeting Details:

Topic: StarGaZine Episode 3 - Summer Observing Challenges by Dave Eagle
Time: Jun 7, 2020 07:30 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/92641167425?pwd=dW43OUFHU2ZnblhVaW50bmx6SVVPdz09

Meeting ID: 926 4116 7425
Password: 610724

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

The Observing  Fraternity will be delighted with this presentation
Dave will be an Ideal speaker, and will some  interesting experiences to present to an eager audience.
Ron.

• Like 1

unfortunately, it was the 45kb version I linked just now - here's the much larger png file version of it. It was only a phone pic as I was walking back from the pub. So, taken from the top of my road about 11pm June last year. 

IMG_2641.png

• Like 1

Just now, happy-kat said:

Lots of ideas on that one.

My meteor issue is sky glow versus exposure length versus washing out meteors. I guess it is just keep experimenting.

It used to be easier in film days - ASA400 film (which is now ISO as it became the international standard) and reciprocity failure meant you could do 5 minute exposures and you'd just about get some stars. If you stop down slightly, that will reduce sky glow as it is in effect a diffuse 'nebula'. Because of the length the exposure, you don't need a high ISO which will help reduce the sky glow as well. It does mean that you are less likely to catch faint meteors.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Lots of ideas on that one.

My meteor issue is sky glow versus exposure length versus washing out meteors. I guess it is just keep experimenting.

This is worth a new topic in SGL, there are so many methods available..Similar to catching Lightening strikes.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

5 minutes ago, palatine said:

is there a recording of this on youtube or somesuch?

I'm sure there will be, but the last couple have taken a few days to get sorted.  I'd expect an announcement here once it is live.

James

As a non observer I found the latest talk brilliant, my interests are transient events like meteors/comets (lightening) and Lunar imaging but never thought about osculations before or Noctilucent clouds for that matter. So a big thank you Dave.

Alan

I've been looking at what to use to capture the occultation of Venus. The choice will be if the Moon is high enough and clear of neighbours house  I'll use the heritage 130p with the camera 1100d the smallest rectangle, if I'm time pushed I'll do a phone image through the 30mm eyepiece, if I'm visibility pushed it will be the camera on a widow ledge upstairs with the 85mm lens the largest rectangle and a view with binoculars. The other rectangle is the Q200mm lens but I think that's least likely to be used.

15916441945441.jpg.aff83132db4f7de607c9f9d57ad0b406.jpg