Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet C/2019 Y4 (Atlas) brightening fast

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I've just updated the Skysafari database and it is now listed at mag 9.7 which seems more accurate. Looks like it might be a good one!

Screenshot_20200314-131834_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

Hi Stu, how does one update the SkySafari database? Thanks, Chris

1 hour ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Hi Stu, how does one update the SkySafari database? Thanks, Chris

Chris, if you go to Settings then Solar System, at the bottom of the page there is an option to update the database.

The bizarre thing is that I just did it again and it has reverted to mag 14.7!

Screenshot_20200314-155407_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

Screenshot_20200314-155401_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

• Thanks 2

@Stu - Stellarium is showing mag 14.7. It shows its position in Ursa Major not far from M81 and M82 and a line to star 23 UMa

Checking some more the comet we should be following, at the moment, is C/2019 Y1 (ATLAS) not Y4. Y1 is the brighter Comet and its just on the top of Andromeda near Alpheraz.

However, over the next few months its Y4 that gets much brighter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) should be around 3.5 degrees from M81 and M82 tonight according to Cartes du Ciel. It looks as if we might get some clear skies later tonight. I fancy some wide field views to try and fit these three in the same FoV :icon_biggrin:

I'd better get my Vixen 102 F/6.5 refractor ready for action ....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John said:

C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) should be around 3.5 degrees from M81 and M82 tonight according to Cartes du Ciel. It looks as if we might get some clear skies later tonight. I fancy some wide field views to try and fit these three in the same FoV :icon_biggrin:

I'd better get my Vixen 102 F/6.5 refractor ready for action ....

Comet hunting setup. 4.1 degree true field :icon_biggrin:

P1090572.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Planning to observe and image C/2019 Y4 (Atlas) tonight, as I have a reasonable forecast too. 

I did photograph this comet when it was close to the Owl Nebula in February, but unfortunately it was too faint then for me to get a certain visual on it (even with a 12" Newt!) By all accounts it has brightened a great deal since then 😀. Good luck all, and clear skies!

Regards, Mike.

• Like 3

Turned out nicely in the end. Saw two of the comets plus lots of galaxies in Leo and Ursa Major. Lovely to be looking through the eyepiece at things millions of light years away and taking my mind off current affairs. Ended with a nice view of Messier 13 as Hercules rose into the sky :smiley:

• Like 7

I tried for this earlier with my ST102 and Panaview 32mm giving an almost 4.48 degree FOV on my EZTouch mount but I'd forgotten how much I dislike trying to find things near the zenith.

Couldn't find it for love nor money.

Will try tomorrow with the AZPro so at least I'll know for sure I'm looking in the right place. 😢

4 hours ago, Nova2000 said:

Anyone been able to spot this in a 8inch ?

Neil said he got it in his 80mm so should be easy pickings in the 8", provided your skies are reasonable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Neil said he got it in his 80mm so should be easy pickings in the 8", provided your skies are reasonable.

It depends on the sky and maybe the observer experience I think Stu. I didn't find C/2019 Y4 Atlas easy with my 102 refractor - pretty hard in fact. The 12 inch dob made it stand out somewhat better of course.

Neither this or Panstarrs are striking objects IMHO. Rather modest and small. I can understand why newcomers to observing would struggle to find and see them.

• Like 1