NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Comet C/2019 Y4 (Atlas) brightening fast

32 minutes ago, HaleBopp2007 said:

Well, if ATLAS does an ''ISON''

Thanks for that. I'd been trying to remember that one without Google.

I remember watching it's perihelion passage via one of the solar observatories on-line and then, err, oh dear, gone in a puff of water vapor! 

Looks like Atlas isn't going to get that far in any coherent form.

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

The least it could have done is go out with  a bang like Holmes did.. :-((

peter

Yeah, I'd like that. It would've been a decent naked eye comet. I have hope that in the next few decades a comet will appear and will finally give to people in the northern a glorious spectacle, like Ikeya-Seki, Hale-Bopp, Hyakutake or West did. But I think we have some days left, and, who knows! Maybe ATLAS does bang like 17P and give us a few days of a decent naked eye comet, but it's quite unprobable. 😔

Edited by HaleBopp2007

Took my first look at Comet C/2019 Y4 since the reported breakup. The drop in brightness is quite significant. With the SQM reading 19.5, I was still able to pick it up though. I moved onto C/2017 T2 which is comparatively much brighter. Similarly C/2019 Y1, which is now in Cassiopeia, was easily seen at low power despite being much lower than C/2019 Y4. I views both as nebulous glow with a bright core at 133x mag. For the comet hunters there’s still two good comets to observe even if this one fades away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just went out for the first comet hunt since the last full moon. Armed with my 10x50, C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) was - as expected - nowhere near as bright as it was the last dark nights before the full moon. A dim, slightly elongated smudge near 42 Cam. According to the latest observations, the comet is now around mag 9.3.

C/2017 T2 (PANSTARRS) was a whole other story. Bright, large, and easily seen without averted vision near Gam Cam. Mag 8.2.

The other bright ATLAS, C/2019 Y1, was a bit doubtful. It's easily located in Cassiopeia's 'W', but it's quite a crowded field over there. According to SkySafari, it's very close to HD 3224 (mag 8.8) but I noticed a small patch of light about the same brightness a few arcminutes lower. A bit more concentrated and smaller than T2. Not really sure. Mag 8.7 according to recent estimates. Nearby NGC 129 was wonderful, with a few individual stars resolved using averted vision.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...