Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Affinity Photo for astrophotography

Nova2000

It is a much cheaper alternative to Photoshop for general photography use, for which it appears to have found many friends. I don't use it for astro, but Nik Szymanek has an 'Imaging Masterclass' on using it in 'Asronomy Now', starting January. There was a similar question posted on this site recently. Do a search; there are quite a few threads.

Ian

Edited by The Admiral
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use Affinity Photo and believe a lot of Photoshop plugins can be made to work with it, have only been shooting Lunar images recently and its fine with those. I am sure the Astro capabilities of this software will grow over time as its a very popular package now.

Alan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave said:

Hi Folks.
I have just released a guide for Affinity Photo astrophotography image processing, but I don't think I'm allowed to advertise within SGL. 😉 
Dave

Thanks for the heads-up Dave, but you really ought to correct your web address :wink2:

Ian

Dave Eagle's book is great for astrophotography - highly recommend it. 😊 It's great that the Affinity suite of software, especially Affinity Photo, is getting more recognition and is a cheaper, viable alternative to the Adobe suite (Which I have through work...).

On a professional level and out of curiosity, I published a few design projects, printed and digital using Affinity Designer and was pleased with the results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/03/2020 at 13:00, Dave said:

Hi Folks.
I have just released a guide for Affinity Photo astrophotography image processing, but I don't think I'm allowed to advertise within SGL. 😉 
Dave

Thanks. Just placed an order.  I've been following Nik Szymanek's masterclasses in Astronomy Now which persuaded me to buy the app (three days before Serif halved the price!) but  look forward to what will be a handier and,  judging by the contents list, a more thorough guide.

• 2 weeks later...

He recommends the AstroFlat Pro Plug-In.  You can have a free trial.  It didn't work with my graphics card but I thought it was time I upgraded my PC anyway.  It works fine now so I have a paid subscription as it did save a lot of juggling.  He concentrates on stacked DSO images but the general principles worked the same for me with Milky Way.  I hope you found it as useful as I did.

• 1 month later...
On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 14:00, Dave said:

Hi Folks.
Dave

please

I have noticed that Afinity Photo along with lots of other software is available for direct download from the manufacturers website and also from the Microsoft store, was wondering which is the best option?

My thoughts are that direct download lets you easily control where the software is installed, useful if you have a small SSD main and larger HDD secondary drives. The Microsoft store makes it easier to auto-update but from memory its not easy to choose drives its installed on.

Alan

I have always found downloading from the MS store a bit of a faff so always downloaded directly. However, I didn’t realise that there are possible benefits from doing it that way.

• Like 1

I've just bought this for the really cheap price of £23.99

I didn't even try out the trial version but can confirm it has the look and feel of Photoshop CC 2020. On the surface (admittedly just 5 minutes playing with it) found it very intuitive and it has the same features, layers, selective colour, similar menu structure that Photoshop has. No regrets at all and a great addition to the arsenal.

• Like 2

On 02/06/2020 at 09:34, Alien 13 said:

I have noticed that Afinity Photo along with lots of other software is available for direct download from the manufacturers website and also from the Microsoft store.

Hi Alan

I had Affinity photo before it went on the MS store and all of us who had it were asked to beta test Affinity designer before it was released and afterwards they let us all keep a copy. Excellent company never had a problem with upgrades but I have had the odd hiccup with other apps on the MS store especially updating them!

Steve

8 hours ago, Gasman said:

Hi Alan

I had Affinity photo before it went on the MS store and all of us who had it were asked to beta test Affinity designer before it was released and afterwards they let us all keep a copy. Excellent company never had a problem with upgrades but I have had the odd hiccup with other apps on the MS store especially updating them!

Steve

I had downloaded it a while ago direct from Affinity  but recent digging has shown that the MS store options of software hide it so well that its difficult to play with the software folders/files/data, which is something I like to do especially with ini files and games.

Alan 

• 7 months later...