Narrowband

Galloway Autumn Star Camp 2020

Physopto

Well I am jealous booked to go Bala end of the month just for the weekend hoping the weather gods see fit to bestow clear skies in a dark sky area. 

As of today that will be cancelled as I cannot leave my area and I cannot stay anywhere over night. 

So please let the sky gods bestow clear skies on you all and have some great viewing nights I look forward to all your reports. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Well, I have to say I was glad to hear Boris “the animal” didn’t make any announcements that preclude me from travelling out of my area, so I can definitely make it up on Wednesday afternoon 👍👍👍.

Looking forward you seeing new and old attendees.

Darren, I think it was PSP 2011 that we last met???

It was and I remember it well, that one and the year before. Like you, I can just swerve the restrictions.....but barely, we can still get there Wednesday legally and that’s all that matters....looking forward to seeing you again Ian and meeting new friends 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uplooker said:

Well, I have to say I was glad to hear Boris “the animal” didn’t make any announcements that preclude me from travelling out of my area, so I can definitely make it up on Wednesday afternoon 👍👍👍.

Looking forward you seeing new and old attendees.

Darren, I think it was PSP 2011 that we last met???

Oh God.... Irish stew..............

😱🤣

Derek

Hello folks, another superb after 2 in the morning show,not as  good as last Sat night but very acceptable. The folks on site have missed another chance to see the magnificent display, instead they went  to their beds when it clouded out at about 1.30. around 4am it has cleared to show off the sky in all it`s glory.

The night got off to s good start, but soon turned into a fix and have you got one of these spare?

Back to bed for me.

Mike

• Like 3

Nope, Mike was away in long before me.

I was out untill midnight. I was trying to get a bit of kit working for several hours. By just after 2200 hours I  had found the fault, but by then it was too late as it clouded out. Had a cuppa, went over to chat at a distance to Damian untill close to midnight. We saw Mike over at his static out a few times pottering about. I waited a bit longer until around half midnight but decided by then I was too tired and crashed out. Woke up at  around 4 saw brilliant clear night sky but was to warm besides my  back was sore from lifting so  back to sleep.

I got a few thing done, but need to get properly aligned asap now. It is a year since I had the gear in use so a few checks were necessary.

It is a strange Star Camp as you cannot just wander  around willy nilly as normal chatting to everyone. That is why Mike thought we had all gone to bed early, just no one constantly moving around as normal.

Derek

Morning all. It's a calm, bright day on the campsite and was a good night upto about 11pm when the clouds rolled in.

I only looked at one Galaxy tonight the old favourite of NGC891 which looked good but the seeing was mushy so I turned my attention to Mars which got better and better as it traversed the southern skies.

A little too bright without a filter but the amount of detail was surprising. The polar ice cap was like a small cherry on a Christmas pud.

I woke at 3am to a partly cloudy sky with orion hung in the south looking resplendent although I was too tired to get the scope out the skies looked to have improved.

On with the cuppa now and greet the rest of the campers when they surface. 

• Like 4

Seems like it's going to be a mixed bag for observing...   If it's too overcast and the conditions aren't good, then we'll head back up the road early. 

Screenshot_20201013-095735_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

The trouble with these forecasts is that they change daily, sometimes hourly. Let’s hope the above improves

Yes, I've found that in SW Scotland there is little point in looking at forecasts beyond a couple of days. Even very locally it can be pouring with rain in one place and just a few miles down the road its dry all day. Depending on where the prevailing weather is coming from its often funneled through the hills  leaving the coast with better conditions, ie you get a local micro climate. I hope very much it stays good for you all. 

• Like 3

After this mornings sunshine the wind has changed direction and it is broken clouds but quite a few larger clear patches. 

Camp is quiet at present but still activity going on and getting ready for viewing windows (hopefully long ones) later. 

20201013_120243.thumb.jpg.b9acfa06dda099d113d1d3ac22e1e51f.jpg

20201013_120323.thumb.jpg.eea7ab7dd32c99cba367cc203b5b573a.jpgAfter yesterday I'm all set and the dslr may be out to do a timelapse or two. 

Edited by mapstar
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Just packing the motor home now for departure first thing in the morning. Glad I’m not an imager, no chance I’d have the room!!!....not with the wife’s mobile boutique!!

Remember Darren, wellies are no good at keeping your feet warm at star parties. Only proper snow boots (not the furry/UGG type) or hiking boots with thick socks.

Dont think being in a camper van will keep the cold away either, there is not much insulation in those!

Have a safe journey. Be careful, the A75 is littered with mobile speed vans

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Be careful, the A75 is littered with mobile speed vans

That's true. Passed a couple on the way here on Saturday. They are being a bit more sneaky as well now. They are supposed to be yellow and black striped. Well they were,  buts a dull shade of dirty yellow to blend in with the background in a lay-by.

Derek

22 hours ago, mapstar said:

At present the sky is clear and the wind has dropped right off. Dew is forming quickly though. The milkway is running from ne to sw and is very bright. 

After a few hiccups and repairs I'm going to try and get some viewing in . Having to borrow Mike's sky safari as for the first time ever I've forgot my star chart!!! 

Update later 🌠🌟🌙🪐

Not like you to forget your faithful Star Chart Damian !!

eric

• Sad 1