Narrowband

Galloway Autumn Star Camp 2020

Physopto

11 minutes ago, Demon Barber said:

That`s Galloway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Indeed. I'm currently on the opposite side of the Cree estuary, rain has abated to that fine stuff thats blowing hard in the wind. Sun is trying to break through and there's a rainbow. Forecast for the week though is not so bad apart from lower temperatures

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The wind is blowing a bit and predicted to get worse for the next few hours. I use Windy.com which uses several different predictive engines. ECMWF, GFS, Metroblue, ICON and AROME. The BBC weather app is very rarely correct, here at least. Drumroamin has a weather subset all of its own it seems.

At present there are 4 of us here. Me and Annette, Mike in the next static, Jim and Dawn 70 metres away in the field and Dave and Liz even further away down the field. Damian due in an hour or two, he will be in his usual spot over 30 metres away from the nearest attendees.

With the present spacing we could probably do with more airtime for the phones !!

At least we can get within shouting distance. Sign of the times when you go some place just so you can shout at people. 🤣

I was listening to the Chief Medical and Scientific Officers etc., earlier on and the picture they show is not inspiring at all ! PM due to speak this afternoon, so we will find out the actual details then.

We brought everything we need so as not to interact with anyone here. So in effect in isolation.

If the weather plays ball, it will be worth it.

Keep safe everyone.

Derek

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

What's the ground conditions like, underfoot?🤔

Well just rained during the night. So wet at present, but the wind will dry it out a bit. The field is in good condition generally. Just not have to drive on and off it all the time or it will get very bad in the entrance area. Just use common sense when here and it will be OK.

Derek

50 minutes ago, Demon Barber said:

Hi Peter,nice to hear from you,hope your keeping well?

Regards

Mike

Thanks, Mike,

Ticking over and bored silly.  Not looking forward to the next 'lockdown' announcement for the North East - if they close the pubs again and I can't get my 'fix' of superb beer at my local, the  Dipton Mill Inn, a serious decline is on the cards 😢 

Cheers and enjoy Galloway,

Peter

Edited by petevasey

1 hour ago, Physopto said:

The wind is blowing a bit and predicted to get worse for the next few hours. I use Windy.com which uses several different predictive engines. ECMWF, GFS, Metroblue, ICON and AROME. The BBC weather app is very rarely correct, here at least. Drumroamin has a weather subset all of its own it seems.

At present there are 4 of us here. Me and Annette, Mike in the next static, Jim and Dawn 70 metres away in the field and Dave and Liz even further away down the field. Damian due in an hour or two, he will be in his usual spot over 30 metres away from the nearest attendees.

With the present spacing we could probably do with more airtime for the phones !!

At least we can get within shouting distance. Sign of the times when you go some place just so you can shout at people. 🤣

I was listening to the Chief Medical and Scientific Officers etc., earlier on and the picture they show is not inspiring at all ! PM due to speak this afternoon, so we will find out the actual details then.

We brought everything we need so as not to interact with anyone here. So in effect in isolation.

If the weather plays ball, it will be worth it.

Keep safe everyone.

Derek

Windy .com?? Thought you old sailer just used a wet finger, a at least the scopes haven't blown over 🍻🍻

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, petevasey said:

Well, at least the wind will keep the midgies away 😉

Hope all goes well for you guys, and hope to be with you next March.

Cheers,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

We are sending the midges around to Mike's static. Don't tell him I said that 😉

Yes going to be a bit of a pain this expected partial lockdown. Having said that, we don't get out much now anyway. Best keeping to ourselves until a hoped for vaccine arrives, (if ever).

Not even the weather to fly a drone. If it clears up a bit I may try later on this week.

Derek

1 hour ago, Physopto said:

Well just rained during the night. So wet at present, but the wind will dry it out a bit. The field is in good condition generally. Just not have to drive on and off it all the time or it will get very bad in the entrance area. Just use common sense when here and it will be OK.

Derek

I'll bring my wellies. Having ponies, we're used to mud!🤣

Still blowing, but skies looking bit more promising, over cast at present but slowly clearing can see some blue sky now, field squigy as expected with over nite rain, defo looking better than it was this morning hopefully clear up later and wind drops.

1 minute ago, jamie56 said:

Windy .com?? Thought you old sailer just used a wet finger, a at least the scopes haven't blown over 🍻🍻

What's a sailer ??

I know what a sailor is but......🤣

Trust you to mention things blowing over, yer chancing fate!

I think the wind is about at its worst at present, hopefully anyway.

Derek

At present the sky is clear and the wind has dropped right off. Dew is forming quickly though. The milkway is running from ne to sw and is very bright. 

After a few hiccups and repairs I'm going to try and get some viewing in . Having to borrow Mike's sky safari as for the first time ever I've forgot my star chart!!! 

Update later 🌠🌟🌙🪐

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Folks

Watford weather is miserable 

Just drizzle and no wind

Ideal conditions for a wee dram

Scope safely stored under the stairs

Hope you get some better weather 

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Adrian, Does that mean you are an Irish man, drinking scotch - in England 😂😂😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I have to say I was glad to hear Boris “the animal” didn’t make any announcements that preclude me from travelling out of my area, so I can definitely make it up on Wednesday afternoon 👍👍👍.

Looking forward you seeing new and old attendees.

Darren, I think it was PSP 2011 that we last met???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1