SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Galloway Autumn Star Camp 2020

Physopto

4 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Just turned in. Skies have been good tonight and everyone made the best of it.

Lots of targets although not many new ones.

Time for the eider now as I'm the last one on the site still out and about.

No yer not !! I'm still at it .

image.thumb.png.962a265837a5990f4d782fc292644017.png

Ha  20 mins  85mm Tak

🙂

Derek

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, mapstar said:

From the warmth of the caravan an image from Derren. Rosette looks well 👌 

Cheeky so................

If I wus in da van how come we chatted at yer scope about how yer canna get used to HIGH TEC thingys such as an IPad.

God help ye when yo's need to use a phoney thingy!!!

🤔

Derek

• Haha 1

Yeah, it was the same last night, cloudy till about 10 and then it cleared. 
Ian’s Irish Stew went down well but as he promised last week he didn’t offer me any but I hear it was very nice......apparently.......or so I’m told.... 😀😀.......I wouldn’t know 😢😢😂😂

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi folks

I see you may have a clear patch between 22:00 tonight Thursday and 04:00 am on Friday according to  Scope Nights 

All the very best 

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Yes we are still awaiting a decent sky. It started to clear then clouded over again. Some people still arriving and trying to set up tents in the dark. Kenny got here a bit earlier this afternoon with Caroline. Camp is abuz with hope and expectation of a decent night under the stars. I got some decent images last night and hoping for  a few more tonight.

I hope you are doing OK. Many have enquired after how you are. So keep well.

Derek

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Demon Barber said:

Derek you can always teach Damian to use two tin cans and a bit of string!

Mike

Don't know if it would sink in you know !!!

🤣

Glad you got home OK. Was talking to Lesley. By the way she found a black oval shaped device to fit on a camera shoe. So I have it to bring back for you.

Derek

Hi Mike,

Good Morning.....

It is Cold, Sunny and Clear Skies here in Hertfordshire at present. Have already walked the dog for over one hour.

Secondly, Did you receive the 3 emails I sent you yesterday (Thursday). 

In the meantime, have a great day in sunny south west Scotland.

Cheers

Adrian

20 hours ago, Physopto said:

Don't know if it would sink in you know !!!

🤣

I'm sure Derren would be able to sort it as we know the quality of his workmanship.  

Mentioning sinking though I heard there was comms problems again with the mount last night? I've an empty tin of mushroom and veg soup I can fetch over to sort it. 

Edited by mapstar
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Demon Barber said:

How about an update? Or are you still sleeping,were waitin with bated breath.

Mike

Clear all night again Mike.

Good session although I had to have an hours kip at midnight but the carried on to 6am.

Derek had to bring a can of tomato soup down to plug in as the Ipad nearly ran out it was on for quite some time. 

• Like 1

Between the Wednesday night and Thursday night had a good session of imaging before heading up the road today

Horsehead nebula,  pacman nebula, pinwheel galaxy, orion nebula, pleiades, andromeda galaxy, 

horsehead dark.jpg

pacman.jpg

pinwheel.jpg

orion nebula.jpg

pliedes.jpg

andromeda.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, mapstar said:

I've an empty tin of mushroom and veg soup I can fetch over to sort it. 

Is that to keep things in the dark then ?? You would have to leave out the veg though for it to be effective. 🤣

Derek

46 minutes ago, CalumM said:

Between the Wednesday night and Thursday night had a good session of imaging before heading up the road today

Horsehead nebula,  pacman nebula, pinwheel galaxy, orion nebula, pleiades, andromeda galaxy, 

horsehead dark.jpg

pacman.jpg

pinwheel.jpg

orion nebula.jpg

pliedes.jpg

andromeda.jpg

Well done Calum.

Derek

• Thanks 2

Just a short note on the Sky quality here at Drumroamin over the last few days at the Star Camp. On Wednesday night I took light meter readings around the camp site using a SQM-L meter. (The cone is ~20 degrees wide for the SQM-L). The average reading was 21.32 mag./arc sec2. I did the same last night and got an average of around 21.41 to 21.45 mag./arc sec2. It was nice and clear both nights but still a lot of moisture in the air. Seeing was I would say average to reasonable for this area. Views were only hampered say, "slightly Mushy".  I have seen better clearer views in past star camps here, when the temperature was much lower than the last few days has been, so I know it will be much better, possibly ranging into the 21.6-7 mag./arc sec2 regions.

Unfortunately tonight is clouded out at present and the weather forecasts show no improvements over the next week. Overall though this has been a very enjoyable Star Camp here at Drumroamin with spectacular night sky views. Everyone who has attended has expressed admiration of the very clear and bright views visible to all over the last several nights. All seem to have enjoyed the night time experience and their visit.

We must remember thought, " It is not over until the fat lady sings!" You never know here what can happen.😀

Derek

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

An Easter Island scope cover, as pointed out yesterday morning by David Millar of Astronomy Scotland. 🤣

20201016_122018.jpg

Edited by Guest

Back home now after a very enjoyable few days. The campsite is outstanding as are the horizons and views. Two good nights observing but it clouded over last night but “2 out of 3 ain’t bad”. Thanks to Derek for organizing the event and to everyone else for making Lisa and I feel so welcome, Lisa loved every minute of it!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1