Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

33 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

Forgot to say. I was intent on getting motors and goto etc so went for encoders and nexus DSC in preparation for the motors. However, it's such a joy to use the push to with skysafari and track with the slo mo controls that I doubt I'll upgrade to motors and goto.

Hello. I’m at the same stage too atm. I’ll say that again - ATM.
I’ve been looking around a few threads, CN etc. 
Anyone got any news on these ere motors ?? 
John 

No news of any beta testing yet of the motors and that’s going to take a while considering the software development needed so doubt it will be available for a few months yet. 🤔

Edited by johninderby

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

No news of any beta testing yet of the motors and that’s going to take a while considering the software development needed so doubt it will be available for a few months yet. 🤔

I’m hoping it will come my way for a test once ready so will report back if/when that happens.

• Like 1

On 16/04/2021 at 11:03, Stephenstargazer said:

I have a fair sized car but not sure this bag would fit across my back seat. The UNI28 leaves about 4 inches length spare inside the bag. Vicious spikes? try champagne (or other sparklers) corks which are nice and fat!  It's a great excuse or you may know someone who indulges. If not i'll post you some  as I have not thrown away a cork for 35 years 🧐.

More mundane, put a square of plywood in the end of the bag.

The Uni18 fitted with iOptron pillar extension fits perfectly in the STC46 bag with a square of plywood at one end to protect the inside of the bag from the ground spikes.

Makes it much easier to carry the tripod and much easier to haul it off the top shelf of racking in the garage.

Haven't yet tried it for size in the car yet though.

• Like 2

On 16/04/2021 at 11:03, Stephenstargazer said:

try champagne (or other sparklers) corks which are nice and fat!  It's a great excuse or you may know someone who indulges. If not i'll post you some  as I have not thrown away a cork for 35 years 🧐.

More mundane, put a square of plywood in the end of the bag.

2316BB9B-4D4C-4449-AE52-A3F1FD66D692.jpeg.d563eb2d596c3ad6c5e9d558540bd939.jpeg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, johninderby said:

America is trying to do away with corks in wine bottles. Fancy some wine through a staw? 🙀🙀🙀🤬

223FD5F2-5A0B-4A3D-A158-5A03EFEA65F7.jpeg

How did you know we all drink our wine from juice pouches now?

Seriously, though, most wine corks in the states I've pulled lately are now made of some sort of plastic or rubber material.  They seem to do the job.

Some wine bottles have twist off caps with no cork of any sort at all.  It's kind of disappointing when you get one of them.  It takes most of the fun out of opening a wine bottle.

Then there was my neighbor who always kept one of these on her kitchen counter:

spacer.png

She kept one of these constantly filled all day long with wine, especially while working outdoors on her flower beds:

spacer.png

She wasn't pretensive.  However, she just passed away from liver failure earlier this year at the age of 58, so it catches up to you in the end.

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I’m hoping it will come my way for a test once ready so will report back if/when that happens.

Shall I think maybe in time for being a Xmas present. Sure will be worth the wait, just like the mount itself. 
John 

11 minutes ago, BGazing said:

I went through most of the thread, but admittedly not all of it...has anyone used the mount with C11, especially on uni 18/28?

A new scope on the way? 😊👍🏻

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

A new scope on the way? 😊👍🏻

Haha, not really, misus would positively kill me.

My friend has a C11 and a 140mm frac and whenever we go together he brings only one of the two. He splits between visual and photo. While my Alkaid 12 complements the frac nicely...there are ocassions where I would prefer C11 on a tracking mount and I hate EQ mounts for visual. :)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BGazing said:

has anyone used the mount with C11, especially on uni 18/28?

not a C11 or Uni 18/28, but mine works very well with an OMC300 (~15kg 12" f/9 Mak-Cass) on a Planet, with some CWs that may not be absolutely essential🙂

• Like 3

So after trying to find an Eq6 extension for my Az100 I placed a wanted ad on here. @smudgeball responded with an offer. however,  it had eq5 fittings. Not a problem for the tripod connection as I had the geoptik adapter. Following @johninderbythread on converting his Berlebach to take Eq6 I had a large aluminium washer cut to go between the mount (Eq6) and the top of the extension (Eq5). I then painted the geoptik and the washer white and the extension black. The finished job looks quite nice. Thanks to @smudgeball for the extension and @johninderby for the washer idea. Also to @Stuwho did offer the colum but short of top fitting 

@Stu20210517_120526.thumb.jpg.dbeb0b89b24085aa4177add4fa7ad73c.jpg

176252442_996155644253514_8581674655163747651_n.thumb.jpg.eca69959838b25911c27b1b6f58485db.jpg

Edited by Steve Clay
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

Looks neat and tidy and goes with the white tripod nicely. 👍🏻

Thats why I painted the washer white. Also my scopes are skywatcher black and white. Stuff has to be aesthetic as well as functional.

3 hours ago, Steve Clay said:

So after trying to find an Eq6 extension for my Az100 I placed a wanted ad on here. @smudgeball responded with an offer. however,  it had eq5 fittings. Not a problem for the tripod connection as I had the geoptik adapter. Following @johninderbythread on converting his Berlebach to take Eq6 I had a large aluminium washer cut to go between the mount (Eq6) and the top of the extension (Eq5). I then painted the geoptik and the washer white and the extension black. The finished job looks quite nice. Thanks to @smudgeball for the extension and @johninderby for the washer idea. Also to @Stuwho did offer the colum but short of top fitting 

@Stu20210517_120526.thumb.jpg.dbeb0b89b24085aa4177add4fa7ad73c.jpg

176252442_996155644253514_8581674655163747651_n.thumb.jpg.eca69959838b25911c27b1b6f58485db.jpg

Looking at the extra holes that have been drilled, I'm glad to see that its not just me that has issues with the holes in these things not lining up properly.

Nice paint job by the way, I love the alternating black and white from Tripod to mount.

On 17/05/2021 at 13:33, Steve Clay said:

Also to @Stuwho did offer the colum but short of top fitting 

Thanks Steve. It’s very annoying, I’m sure the top is somewhere around, but I’ve no idea where! I’m moving soon so maybe it will turn up when we pack!

The setup looks great, you’ve done a good job with the pillar!

• Thanks 1

I know the AZ-100 can be mounted on a T-Pod tripod, but has anyone used a carbon fibre based tripod at all? Trying to reduce weight for dark site or club meet ups and the AZ-100 is heavy enough (but lighter and less faff then a GEM). 

I was thinking of a:

https://global.vixen.co.jp/en/product/25164_3/

with a m10 pier puck.