Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

With @Telescope40 et al, I think the AZ100 with DSC and no motors on UNi 28 provides a very good solution for visual observers up to moderate scope sizes not requiring a counterbalance. This keeps the set up portable at home and transportable, with no more than what you need.Nice to be free of batteries wires and chargers too. Of course it will also cope with larger or multiple scopes too which makes it very flexible as an only mount. Though at present I am keeping a go to equatorial on pier at home, that could become redundant?

The complete FC100, Rowan, Berlebach  kit in just 4 parts goes in my car boot with room left for  clothes and coats etc. (Gives me a choice of sites as home is a best for SE to SW sky, partners place good for N, E, W.)

IMG_20210405_120337.jpg

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 4

As well as the Tak FC100 the mount was bought for, I intended to try the Vixen VC200L. It seems stable in daylight even without counterweight, and should be clear tonight to see how steady it really is. This is on a UNI28 but the Vixen is quite light due to no front plate. Still in my transportable category but 1800mm focal length and 8".

I doubt would mount both together but nice to know I could  ☺️

CONCLUSIONS have now got in several hours of good observation including galaxies the 4" can not quite grasp here. The combination is good, balance and vibrations are well within my limits for focusing and particularly tracking. Expect spikes would improve on the rubber feet. Therefore meets my criteria for transportable use but takes up more of car boot and the scope will not have as much protection (foam) as the Tak (post above) does.

If it was to be my 'home' system with the AZ100 I might prefer a counterbalance and a Planet (or pier). For myself at home I can continue to use the VC200L on a tracking equatorial and pier, especially for highest magnifications. However the Eq and Pier are not readily transportable!

IMG_20210412_135659~2.jpg

IMG_20210416_102941.jpg

Updated, conclusions added
  • Like 1

It easily handles my CC8” which is heavier than the Vixen. 

As previously mentioned there is no need for a counterweight for any scope and only advised if the weight of the scope would make the tripod unstable.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

On 05/04/2021 at 12:19, Stephenstargazer said:

With @Telescope40 et al, I think the AZ100 with DSC and no motors on UNi 28 provides a very good solution for visual observers up to moderate scope sizes not requiring a counterbalance. This keeps the set up portable at home and transportable, with no more than what you need.Nice to be free of batteries wires and chargers too. Of course it will also cope with larger or multiple scopes too which makes it very flexible as an only mount. Though at present I am keeping a go to equatorial on pier at home, that could become redundant?

The complete FC100, Rowan, Berlebach  kit in just 4 parts goes in my car boot with room left for  clothes and coats etc. (Gives me a choice of sites as home is a best for SE to SW sky, partners place good for N, E, W.)

IMG_20210405_120337.jpg

That does look like a relatively compact setup.  I'm hoping for the same when I eventually click Buy.

I have a Uni 18 that I will use initially and am I'm pleased to hear that you're happy with it on the Uni 28, which is the same, just taller.

I also intend to keep an EQ on a pillar mount in the garden for the time being but hope to eventually leave the AZ100 semi-permanently mounted on a Tri-Pier in the garden and dust detach it when I want to observe remotely when I'll use the Uni 18.

That is a nice looking bag for the UNI 28, can I ask where you sourced it as I am looking for something like that for my Uni 18.

Ade

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

That is a nice looking bag for the UNI 28, can I ask where you sourced it as I am looking for something like that for my Uni 18.

Ade

Yes I posted stuff about case here:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/351419-show-us-your-berlebach-product/?do=findComment&comment=4052835

Got it at WEX and thought it was better value than the Berlebach offering. You would need a shorter one of course, browse the lighting set cases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, johninderby said:

It easily handles my CC8” which is heavier than the Vixen. 

Hello @johninderby is that with your Planet? I knew the mount can take loads and loads so it is more the UNI 28 that is being tested. However good things appear in daylight* you cant beat the 'standard tap test' and some tracking on a star with a healthy dose of magnification.

(*will hopefully edit after tonight, is it the carbon fibre that makes the CC so heavy ? 😁)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stephenstargazer said:

Yes I posted stuff about case here:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/351419-show-us-your-berlebach-product/?do=findComment&comment=4052835

Got it at WEX and thought it was better value than the Berlebach offering. You would need a shorter one of course, browse the lighting set cases.

Thanks for the details  @Stephenstargazer I've added one to my Wex wish list. 

Looking at the internal dimensions, it looks like my Uni 18 will fit in complete with the 8" iOptron pillar attached, which is a good thing as it's a right pain to separate the two.

Roll on next PayDay.

Ade

• Like 1

On 12/04/2021 at 20:49, AdeKing said:

it looks like my Uni 18 will fit in complete with the 8" iOptron pillar attached,

I would think so, but do you need to check for the length in your car or boot ? Only just goes in across mine where the golf clubs normally go in easy! 📏🧐

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stephenstargazer said:

I would think so, but do you need to check for the length in your car or boot ? Only just goes in across mine where the golf clubs normally go in easy! 📏🧐

We only have a small car with a tiny boot, so I either have to put the back seats down or lay the tripod across the back seats because the rear wheel arches make boot much narrower than the back seats.

As this setup gets used with an AZ Pro I know that it just about fits across the back seats though I have to wrap the vicious ground spikes I have fitted in a towel to stop them damaging the inside of the rear doors.

I really need to find some suitable way of capping the ground spikes so that they don't rip the inside of the bag to shreds. 

• Like 1

I have a fair sized car but not sure this bag would fit across my back seat. The UNI28 leaves about 4 inches length spare inside the bag. Vicious spikes? try champagne (or other sparklers) corks which are nice and fat!  It's a great excuse or you may know someone who indulges. If not i'll post you some  as I have not thrown away a cork for 35 years 🧐.

More mundane, put a square of plywood in the end of the bag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/04/2021 at 12:29, HollyHound said:

Only (expected) issue was the scopes weren’t aligned with each other, but I’ve ordered the adjustable saddle plate now to solve that minor problem. I do have the counterweight and bar too, so can use a single scope too 👍

That is a problem I have on my AYO...what's the adjustable saddle plate? Excuse my ignorance...

• Like 1

Thanx...very interesting, I was told by Beat that I can fiddle and adjust the second saddle myself but did not actually bother...

One more thing, is there any way to fit this mount onto EQ5 plate? Other than a EQ6 tripod, what are the other options, TPod plus some adapter?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BGazing said:

Thanx...very interesting, I was told by Beat that I can fiddle and adjust the second saddle myself but did not actually bother...

One more thing, is there any way to fit this mount onto EQ5 plate? Other than a EQ6 tripod, what are the other options, TPod plus some adapter?

Indeed Rowan do an adapter for a pier'/ az5. Or simply get an aluminium washer laser cut to adapt. If you want details pm me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steve Clay said:

Indeed Rowan do an adapter for a pier'/ az5. Or simply get an aluminium washer laser cut to adapt. If you want details pm me.

Wow, I see that...this looks really really good as I feel that my Uni 18 would be good enough...what a mount. Ideally with motors and tracking would be absolutely superb.

Rowan page suggests to use CW for scopes over 5kg...is that really true, the mount looks like CWs are not needed unless you are about to topple the tripod.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BGazing said:

Wow, I see that...this looks really really good as I feel that my Uni 18 would be good enough...what a mount. Ideally with motors and tracking would be absolutely superb.

Rowan page suggests to use CW for scopes over 5kg...is that really true, the mount looks like CWs are not needed unless you are about to topple the tripod.

I load an ED120, 10x50 finder, telrad and diagonal with large zoom Ep. No need for a counter weight. Moves lovely and smooth.

• Like 2

Forgot to say. I was intent on getting motors and goto etc so went for encoders and nexus DSC in preparation for the motors. However, it's such a joy to use the push to with skysafari and track with the slo mo controls that I doubt I'll upgrade to motors and goto.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

Forgot to say. I was intent on getting motors and goto etc so went for encoders and nexus DSC in preparation for the motors. However, it's such a joy to use the push to with skysafari and track with the slo mo controls that I doubt I'll upgrade to motors and goto.

Famous last words as they say. 😁😁😁

• Haha 2