Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

A solar finder such as the Televue SolSearcher makes getting the sun in the FOV simple enough and easily repeatable.

When the motors are available my understanding is that the simplest mode with track after the mount is pushed to a target, though Derek did say that they would need to add an option in for selecting the correct tracking rate.

Hope this helps.

26 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

A solar finder such as the Televue SolSearcher makes getting the sun in the FOV simple enough and easily repeatable.

When the motors are available my understanding is that the simplest mode with track after the mount is pushed to a target, though Derek did say that they would need to add an option in for selecting the correct tracking rate.

Hope this helps.

Indeed. I have a solar finder and normally use my solarquest. Hoping to put the quark in the Ed 120. I saw Derek's answer about what would be possible with the motors.

I'm in a dilemma whether go take the plunge for full DSC or just encoders and wait for motors. 1st world problems .

Steve 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I no longer use any of those SolSearcher or similar ones any more. Now I just use a solar filter on my RACI finder. So much better and easier to use. 👍🏻

96C3E9B3-766A-4875-BE14-B3C975DF4D0F.jpeg

In my case too much chance of me forgetting to out the filter on so am playing it safe.

23 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

Indeed. I have a solar finder and normally use my solarquest. Hoping to put the quark in the Ed 120. I saw Derek's answer about what would be possible with the motors.

I'm in a dilemma whether go take the plunge for full DSC or just encoders and wait for motors. 1st world problems .

Steve 

Ah, I see your dilemma, good luck with making your decision.

I've decided to go for the Nexus DSC and encoders as at some point I'll get encoders fitted to the Dob

Ref Sun finding etc

The Sun is in the DSC Solar System Objects catalogue (2). You can level the mount and select a ONE star alignment using the Sun. If you leave it (during passing clouds?) it will know where to point on return.  Go find Venus? possible, I only look for Venus with a scope in FULL SHADE.

I use a Herschel Wedge and get the scope about right by looking at the the shadow of the scope on the ground. Normally good enough to get some sunlight in and then look at the bottom of the wedge and put sun disc central in the prism face. Simples and no need to buy the fancy Baader wedge with rear screen 😁

(Another cheapskate tip)

Edited by Stephenstargazer

Tablet / Phone mount for the AZ100

Had bought the tablet / phone holder earlier to use with the AZ100 but now sorted it out. 

The holder is a very nice aluminium one with a clamping knob on the back that you can use to set the height of the jaws but also has a screw clamp on the top to lock the tablet / phone in place. Works really well.

Had a mini tilt head to mount the holder on but replaced the tension adjustment screws with adjustable thumb levers so tension could be adjusted without a hex key. Used an inside corner bracket to attach the holder / tilt head to a short Geoptik dovetail bar.

So a neat little setup that fits on one of the dovetail saddle and can be tilted or turned to just the right position.

A41E7C06-1E16-41A5-9C88-3EC0DE5E15C5.jpeg

35C22F32-12BE-4A0C-AC4C-F72201E31908.jpeg

5FB4880D-EC4D-4079-A1B8-55FAA9A8FDAC.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trigger pulled so permission to come on-board as a new owner.

Went for: Mount, encoders, DSC, 1 saddle and pan and tilt bar.

It'll go on my Eq6 tripod for now and maybe a planet by Christmas (not saying which year)

A very excited 

Steve

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Hmmm..........at this rate will it become a requirement for all SGL members to own an AZ100. 😁😁😁

Well they are cheaper than a Tak ! :thumbright:

• Haha 5

35 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

It'll go on my Eq6 tripod for now and maybe a planet by Christmas (not saying which year)

A very excited 

Steve

Nice one @Steve Clay !!  and welcome. 👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

Tablet / Phone mount for the AZ100

Had bought the tablet / phone holder earlier to use with the AZ100 but now sorted it out. 

The holder is a very nice aluminium one with a clamping knob on the back that you can use to set the height of the jaws but also has a screw clamp on the top to lock the tablet / phone in place. Works really well.

Had a mini tilt head to mount the holder on but replaced the tension adjustment screws with adjustable thumb levers so tension could be adjusted without a hex key. Used an inside corner bracket to attach the holder / tilt head to a short Geoptik dovetail bar.

So a neat little setup that fits on one of the dovetail saddle and can be tilted or turned to just the right position.

A41E7C06-1E16-41A5-9C88-3EC0DE5E15C5.jpeg

35C22F32-12BE-4A0C-AC4C-F72201E31908.jpeg

5FB4880D-EC4D-4079-A1B8-55FAA9A8FDAC.jpeg

Hello @johninderby  That setup for the tablet looks rather good. Nice addition to the mount I tell myself.  Hhmm -  me like. Wallet just winced. 

John 

5 hours ago, Steve Clay said:

A very excited 

Steve

Well done Steve - exactly the same order I put in a couple of days ago 😀 - I contacted Derek before ordering and he confirmed that all new orders now include the upgraded DSC Pro 👍

• Like 3

On 26/03/2021 at 21:18, Allanto said:

Well done Steve - exactly the same order I put in a couple of days ago 😀 - I contacted Derek before ordering and he confirmed that all new orders now include the upgraded DSC Pro 👍

I didn't know about the DSC Pro until I saw your post. It has indeed come with the pro.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

Thanks Jeremy.  Wife has just commented that the patio needs pressure washing though.

Sounds a fair exchange for a lovely AZ100 outfit 

Good on Mrs Clay 👍🏻🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JeremyS said:

Sounds a fair exchange for a lovely AZ100 outfit 

Good on Mrs Clay 👍🏻🤣

I've said if she funds my planet tripod then I'll pressure wash everything we own for the rest of time.

• Haha 2