Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

55 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Couldn’t find any of the black EQ6 pillar extentions in stock so ordered one of the white ones and made it into a black one.

Ground off the powder coat on the tube and primed it with acid etch primer. The top plate was flatted with sandpaper and primed with a barrier / sealer primer. Then sprayed both with 2 pack satin black paint.  The 2 pack paint is a tough as powder coat when fully hardened but expensive. 🙀

Now the Tecnosky 125 can be pointed at the zenith without fouling the tripod legs. 👍🏻

70CFFE6F-6072-4FE5-8503-EEF0B6EF3C83.jpeg

E541C295-18C8-4ACC-B274-8D137091B90A.jpeg

DEF944A9-6E6E-427D-AD64-ACF5A2BF11A2.jpeg

6AC4B981-77EA-4DA9-86E9-B29E83FA4400.jpeg

Very timely John. I'm hopefully just about to aquire the eq6 extension and am going to do the same in preparation to getting the az100 in june. 

17 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

Very timely John. I'm hopefully just about to aquire the eq6 extension and am going to do the same in preparation to getting the az100 in june. 

The 2K aerosol spray cans are several times the price of regular paint but do give a really tough finish.

• Thanks 1

Very impressed with that workmanship @johninderby.

My UNI28 is labelled for EQ6, which should match the AZ100. There is an issue with the fit that others might want to check on their combination. There was an earlier post where the M12 screw would not clamp (ie too much length), easily fixed with extra washers. I felt the screw on mine was a bit short. Measuring up:

The tapped hole on the AZ measured 11mm deep. The step on the bottom of the AZ is 4.5mm. The top of the screw on the UNI was level with the top face of the tripod head when fully lifted. So the screw was engaging 4.5mm less the run out (top of screw) and run in (thread in AZ) which is only about 2 threads on an M12 X 1.75. That is not enough into aluminium, even hand tightened, given the regular use and ideally should be as much of the 11mm available as possible, without binding.

My first step was to look at the Berlebach screw which seems locked into the plastic hand wheel. So with hacksaw I removed about 5mm of material below the fitted washer and tidied up with a file. Could have removed washer, but marginal gain and washer is desirable to avoid lock up. It worked and looked OK but I did notice that the hand wheel was quite small (actually a fairly cheap plastic M10 size). So I made up my own clamp which is adjustable for depth and has a much bigger (75mm) grip. Parts were an M12 bakelite hand wheel (WDS 8214-204), an M12 thumb nut (WDS 520) and 100mm from M12 stainless studding I already had. The thread on the studding had to be filed down in the middle (slightly arduous but no lathe!). Parts from  WDS Components in Leeds - good stock and service even for small quantities. I had the studding 'in stock'.

Also got some eyepiece holes for the BB tray. 😀

PS Could have put this on the Berlebach thread, but think it might be an issue for AZ100 owners to check.

IMG_20210317_142315.jpg

IMG_20210317_142849.jpg

IMG_20210317_145643.jpg

IMG_20210317_145850.jpg

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Wouldn’t even notice it. Daytime test with my 125 and it didn’t even quiver when I tapped the diagonal. OZ that’s with the pillar extenstion.

Or are you meaning the SW pillar. That would wobnle with even a 80mm scope.Had one but quickly sold it on .Vibrated terribly.

5195A306-672B-4DB6-BA7B-342497DE7028.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Wouldn’t even notice it. Daytime test with my 125 and it didn’t even quiver when I tapped the diagonal. OZ that’s with the pillar extenstion.

Or are you meaning the SW pillar. That would wobnle with even a 80mm scope.Had one but quickly sold it on .Vibrated terribly.

5195A306-672B-4DB6-BA7B-342497DE7028.jpeg

Yep that one John. So no good then.

15 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

Yep that one John. So no good then.

The vibration was really bad. Made it hard to focus. If it had stays or braces running from the pillar to the ends of the legs would help a lot. 

Edited by johninderby

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

Something like the Altair tri-pier shows what I mean.

2501F771-AB8B-4A31-A9AC-C447C9B54C59.jpeg

Yeah but no wheels so might as well stay with eq6 tripod until I can afford the planet. I'm ordering the mount in June with encoders and I'm hoping motors. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

Thanks Jeremy. I think I'm about to unashamedly plagiarise that drsign. 

The photos make it look a bit insubstantial, but it’s Berlebach so should be good. I’m thinking it’s probably better to move the tripod around on the dolly, but place it on firm ground to observe without the dolly. I wonder if anyone has used one.

Hi All,

Hope it's OK to post a question here as a "very likely to be" new owner. 😃

I am looking at getting the AZ100 with encoders and Nexus II to use as a "push to" with Sky Safari, and then at a later date would consider upgrading with the motor set to give me the tracking option.

My question is this, and it may only be something that Rowan Astronomy can answer at the moment as the motor set has obviously not been released yet, but if I upgrade to the motor option at some point, would that make the Nexus II redundant, or is the Nexus still required with the new motor controller. The reason I ask is that I am sure I read somewhere that the motor controller will include WIFI, and that's why I am thinking that the Nexus may no longer be required?

Thanks

Tim

• Like 1

The Nexus won’t be required to use the motors but will still be able to use the Nexus if you want to.

From Dereks earlier post.

The AZ100 motor kit will provide several 'modes' of operation:-

a) The simplest being (with no DSC Sky safari or hand controller),  power up the mount horizontal and pointing South, then push to any area of sky and the mount will track.

b) Use Sky Safari- action a SF goto command and the mount will goto that object (we're working on the SF protocol to do this at the moment).

c) Use Nexus DSC or NexusII - Serge will be providing a version of Nexus firmware that will issue the goto command from the Nexus database objects.

d) Use our own handset with built in object database.

Not all these above operation modes will be available initially, ( A and B, C&D later is the current plan ) but with the AZ100 controller firmware being able to be updated by the user via the AZ100 app, it's future proof.

Regarding Solar tracking, this will need a relative simple mode to set the sidereal rate (King rate or a rate factor) and would be included in one of the later firmware versions.

ATB

Derek.

• Thanks 1

This all seems to imply that with the motor unit fitted, using a Nexus II, just to provide connection to Sky Safari, is redundant.

Very timely information, as I was just about to get a Nexus II, but seems waiting for the motor unit makes more sense 🤔(I have the encoders fitted already).

Fair enough though, the DSC provides a user interface and doesn’t require an iPad/tablet though 👍

Edited by HollyHound

Thanks @johninderby for the info 👍

Agree with @HollyHound - looks like option b) would work without the need for the Nexus, so if the motor option does become available soon, then the purchase of Nexus II could be avoided thus saving a few £££ 😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Allanto said:

Thanks @johninderby for the info 👍

Agree with @HollyHound - looks like option b) would work without the need for the Nexus, so if the motor option does become available soon, then the purchase of Nexus II could be avoided thus saving a few £££ 😆

Totally thats my take on it. I'm buying in June so fingers crossed for motors by the.

Steve

• Like 1

Hello all. Received back today from the fellas at Rowan. Retro fitted encoders and supplied the Nexus DSC unit. 
All put together now with my scopes added for your perusal. 

Happy don’t do this justice. 
John

Apologies re the photos. Messing about, sorry, setting up in the kitchen. 

A2174EB9-B3BE-40BD-947F-B338EDCDB796.jpeg

E69F3E47-BBD6-489F-92CC-CE9502CBF5D0.jpeg

Edited by Telescope40
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

After selling loads of stuff I'm rapidly approaching the point where I can finally order an AZ100 and am getting excited.

It's taken me a while but the effort it's taken to raise funds will mean that I appreciate it more.

I've been deliberating what tripod to use/buy for a while.

But as I already have a Uni18 with an iOptron top plate and pillar extension that I use for my AZ Pro I am thinking that I'll get an iOptron Tri-Pier adaptor for an EQ5/EQ6 so I can use the AZ100 on it rather than spending ££££ on a New Planet tripod which was the original plan.

Now I've made the tripod decision I'm considerably closer to my target than I thought so will probably place my order in May/June.

I'll be going for the mount, encoders, Nexus DSC and a dual saddle setup and can't wait.

Very much looking forward to becoming a member of the AZ100 owners club.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

After selling loads of stuff I'm rapidly approaching the point where I can finally order an AZ100 and am getting excited.

It's taken me a while but the effort it's taken to raise funds will mean that I appreciate it more.

But as I already have a Uni18 with an iOptron top plate and pillar extension that I use for my AZ Pro I am thinking that I'll get an iOptron Tri-Pier adaptor for an EQ5/EQ6 so I can use the AZ100 on it rather than spending ££££ on a New Planet tripod which was the original plan.

Now I've made the tripod decision I'm considerably closer to my target than I thought so will probably place my order in May/June.

I'll be going for the mount, encoders, Nexus DSC and a dual saddle setup and can't wait.

Wise decision Ade. See how you get on with the Uni. I’m sure it’ll be fine. But you can always get a Planet later

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, johninderby said:

We’re doomed. Does this mean 40 days and nights of solid cloud? 💨💦

But seriously looking rather impressive. 👍🏻

Hello @johninderby your probably close with your 40 day cloud forecast.  Ce la vie !! 

16 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

@AdeKing Your plan sounds bulletproof. I parted with my SW EQ5 GT Mount earlier this week to give a major boost to my financing of these photos - I mean, mount. 
Happy the motor kit seems to be a few months off after a quick chat with Derek at Rowan Eng late last week.

The mount is in a class of its own. Miles ahead of anything I’ve previously used.  If it works out as easy to use as I hope, my AZ GTI mount may be looking for a new owner.  Hope to run commissioning trials in about 40 days. 
John 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdeKing said:

Well done Ade.  Both my refractors are carried easily by the AZ 100 and Uni 18 tripod.

Look forward to seeing your unpacking....👍

• Like 1