Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEW Rowan AZ100 Alt-Az Mount

FLO

1 hour ago, Grant said:

Bottom is flat and M12 thread in the center - it’s designed to go on an EQ6 tripod with the alignment pin removed.

Rowan have done a beautiful job with this - the machining, engineering, mechanics and finish are first class.

EQ5 problem solved. Have found a place that does custom aluminium washers so can order a 120mm OD by 65mm ID by 8mm thick aluminium washer and fasten that to the top of the Bereleback tripod and then just use an M12 bolt. 

Edited by johninderby

Sorry for the stupid question, :embarassed: but what is the principle behind the encoders? I have seen it elsewhere before, but I have no real idea, could only guess, so would appreciate some information. This mount looks good I must admit, but I am very unsure of the principles so do not know if It should be considered.

Edit: Its OK, I have found out now I think, what a good idea. :smiley:

Edited by Greymouser

Like it very much!

Encoders out of the box and the price for them is reasonable - thumbs up. The capacity is over of what I personally need at the moment but if some nice 5" or 6" refractor comes my way in the future this looks like real contender. I like the design.

I assume they must be optical encoders? I would hope so. Shame Berlebach do not make an M10 to M12 adapter, for EQ5 type owners. I would say already it looks good for the money if your tripod is M12, and you do not need encoders. If you already own a Nexus you can be in business for around £1300, don't forget a Nexus is about £435, if you have to factor that in its knocking on £1700 and thats without the  counterweight options!

Looking at those images I'm thinking the saddles look quite close in so clearance might be an issue for long tube scopes, I wonder also if Rowan might have extension options?  Could be an idea further up the road especially if there is an option for M10 at the base.

If it works as well as the other top rated mounts like AYO, and AZ8 etc then Rowan will need to add a night shift. 

Edited by JG777

Some updates from Rowan to address questions asked:

• They can / will produce a dual D and V version of the saddles
  • The hole spacing for the saddles is shown in the drawing below - M8 holes are for the standard 35mm center Tak mounting. Additional holes could be added if necessarily to fit other popular saddles.
  • Currently the saddle needs to be removed to attach the counterweight but they are looking at the possibility of adding a thread in the center of the saddle to fit the shaft but need to check loads, particularly if using 2 weights.
  • The shelf and ball mount for the DSC is £24.95.

image.png.52dc48381d643505b69860e7a47e60b0.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for that info.

The dual saddle I already have has holes for M8 and M6  bolts on 35mm centres and M8 bolts on 80mm centres. 

A couple of M8 holes on the 80mm spacing would be a useful addition. 🤔

Edited by johninderby

1 hour ago, FLO said:

Currently the saddle needs to be removed to attach the counterweight but they are looking at the possibility of adding a thread in the center of the saddle to fit the shaft but need to check loads, particularly if using 2 weights.

Good stuff. A hole in the saddle would mean the shaft can still be screwed into the head with no change in load capacity.

Yes a hole in the saddle is a simple but effective idea. Did the same thing to fit an ADM saddle to the counterweight end of the TS-AZ5 (Skytee) mount which also has the saddle mounting holes on that end.

EDIT

Posted at same time as the above. Can see now that a threaded hole would be needed or a short dovetail with the threaded hole in it perhaps.

DAAE2BD6-82DF-4B03-A5F8-68327F085B0C.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

Something like this TS one.

Actually think this idea would be quite usefull as you could move the counterweight forward or back to help adjust the alt balance of the scope. 🤔

6C55F2FC-3CEE-4402-AF20-ECC46DD1CD5B.jpeg

I used to have one of those - I used it with my old Ambermille (anyone remember them ?) alt-az mount. It worked well but I didn't put more than 5kg on it.

I think the Giro Ercole uses a sensible approach to the counterweight bar fitting. The steel alt axis is drilled and threaded to accept a 10mm screw which is what the C/W bar screws into. The end of the steel axis is recessed within the machined alloy arm and the C/W bar slides into a 20mm diameter sleeve in the alloy arm end and then screws into the alt axis. So the C/W bar gets support from around 50mm of precisely machined alloy sleeve as well as being screwed firmly into the alt axis.

The Altair Sabre mount uses a similar approach to C/W bar fitting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

I think the Giro Ercole uses a sensible approach to the counterweight bar fitting. The steel alt axis is drilled and threaded to accept a 10mm screw which is what the C/W bar screws into. The end of the steel axis is recessed within the machined alloy arm and the C/W bar slides into a 20mm diameter sleeve in the alloy arm end and then screws into the alt axis. So the C/W bar gets support from around 50mm of precisely machined alloy sleeve as well as being screwed firmly into the alt axis.

The Altair Sabre mount uses a similar approach to C/W bar fitting.

Agreed John. Not sure if the AZ100 would allow a similar setup, but it would be good if it did. With my Giro-WR I am able to use both clamps, or screw a CW shaft through one of them if I want to, without removing the clamp which is very convenient, hence the suggestion. I've often though of getting a hole machined in my Ercole clamp to allow the same type of thing to be possible.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

Agreed John. Not sure if the AZ100 would allow a similar setup, but it would be good if it did. With my Giro-WR I am able to use both clamps, or screw a CW shaft through one of them if I want to, without removing the clamp which is very convenient, hence the suggestion. I've often though of getting a hole machined in my Ercole clamp to allow the same type of thing to be possible.

7 minutes ago, martinl said:

Or the cheaper option? 🤔

81063336-9053-4671-A55E-F1961656B612.jpeg

29 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

Or the cheaper option? 🤔

81063336-9053-4671-A55E-F1961656B612.jpeg

I never quite trust myself that I would get it central!

That Berlebach clamp does look handy, might be tempted, unless of course the Ercole finds a new home 😉

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stu said:

I never quite trust myself that I would get it central!

That Berlebach clamp does look handy, might be tempted, unless of course the Ercole finds a new home 😉

I did it at home with an electric drill. If I wanted more accuracy then a pillar drill is the way to go.

A local machine shop wouldn’t charge that much, however that Berlebach clamp does look rather nice 😉

Edited by jock1958