Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW Rowan AZ100 Alt-Az Mount

FLO

From an engineering standpoint it looks like a significant advance on the SkyTee and AZ8 - both of which I've had.

One comment though - for transport etc I noticed the flexible cables are removable from the worms but in removing them, it leaves the work shafts exposed - and they're brass - which means easily bumped and easily damaged. I would suggest (a) making replacement worms available as a spare part and ideally a later upgrade to stainless steel worms - as the brass will wear rapidly.

Secondly I hope the worm shafts are a precise metric size - I can see this being a very tempting target to motorise both shafts for astro and other applications.

Lastly you've just given me reason to sell my other alatza mounts and I will order one immediately they go on sale.

One thing to keep in mind the photos are probably of a pre-production one so can expect some small detail changes.

I’ve bought many air rifle upgrade parts from Rowan over the years and everything has held up very well. And air rifles get abused more than astro gear. Sold my last airgun a week ago and no longer in that hobby. 

Edited by johninderby

On 27/09/2019 at 09:43, FLO said:

Some updates from Rowan to address questions asked:

• They can / will produce a dual D and V version of the saddles
  • The hole spacing for the saddles is shown in the drawing below - M8 holes are for the standard 35mm center Tak mounting. Additional holes could be added if necessarily to fit other popular saddles

Any pics and or pricing on the dual fit saddles yet? 

Edited by johninderby

Some more updates from Rowan:

• Following feedback, they will add an additional 2 M8 holes at 80mm centers
  • M12 is the standard base mounting thread but they could offer M10 as an option if that is requested
  • Exposed worm shafts - spares will be readily and easily available for all components of the mount should any mishaps occur
  • Longer flexible slo-mo controls will be available and also potentially extension pieces as well
  • Like 2

One thing I would like to know is the base of the mount completely flat or is it like the bottom of an EQ6 moint. Sounds like it might be as otherwise an M10 option would require an EQ5 shaped bottom .

BTW Steve afer a successful weekend of selling astro bits the cash for the AZ100 and options is sitting in my hobby bank account. 🙂

Edited by johninderby

15 minutes ago, johninderby said:

One thing I would like to know is the base of the mount completely flat or is it like the bottom of an EQ6 moint. Sounds like it might be as otherwise an M10 option would require an EQ5 shaped bottom .

After lunch I will pop downstairs set it up on a Berlebach UNI-28 tripod (to be photographed) then will send it, together with the tripod, to @John so he can kick its tyres. I will post a photo of the mount base this afternoon. 

15 minutes ago, johninderby said:

BTW Steve afer a successful weekend of selling astro bits the cash for the AZ100 and options is sitting in my hobby bank account. 🙂

Excellent. It will be listed at our website soon 🙂 

Steve 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, FLO said:

After lunch I will pop downstairs set it up on a Berlebach UNI-28 tripod (to be photographed) then will send it, together with the tripod, to @John so he can kick its tyres. I will post a photo of the mount base this afternoon. 

Excellent. It will be listed at our website soon 🙂 

Steve 

Will you bring one to SGLSP Steve? Not in a position right now to buy one but would be good to see and be able to make a decision for future.

So removable boss held by 4 M8's giving possibilities of using a different boss to fit heq5 as well?

Also could use the 4 M8's to bolt to tripod head if removed, a bit overkill but :)

If the boss is not removable what is the purpose of the 4 M8's

I do agree there's good odds it may not come off as it is threaded.

Still not too long now and John will start to shine some light on the matter as well :)

I'll do the best I can to measure and describe the mount as comprehensively as I can but I won't be taking it apart folks :smiley:

It is being supplied with a Berlebach Uni 28 tripod with the the EQ6 fitting - my Berlebach is the HEQ5 type.

The mount is due with me on Monday - thanks very much Steve / FLO :thumbright:

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, John said:

I'll do the best I can to measure and describe the mount as comprehensively as I can but I won't be taking it apart folks :smiley:

It is being supplied with a Berlebach Uni 28 tripod with the the EQ6 fitting - my Berlebach is the HEQ5 type.

The mount is due with me on Monday - thanks very much Steve / FLO :thumbright:

There are many folks awaiting your reports, John....no pressure then 🙂

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I’ll very shortly be doing a little project to convert an EQ5 Berlebach into an EQ6 for a fraction of the price of a new Berlebach top. Stay tuned. 😎

Are you aware Berlebach offer replacement top-plates to convert the UNI-18, UNI-28 & Planet series from HEQ5 to EQ6, and vice-versa? We routinely supply them (and anything else Berlebach) when requested but don’t currently list them. I will remedy that next week. 

Steve

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I’ll very shortly be doing a little project to convert an EQ5 Berlebach into an EQ6 for a fraction of the price of a new Berlebach top. Stay tuned. 😎

I'd like both fittings on my Berlebach so something that can convert fairly easily between the EQ6 and HEQ5 fitting would be nice :smiley:

• Like 1

Just now, FLO said:

Are you aware Berlebach offer replacement top-plates to convert the UNI-18, UNI-28 & Planet series from HEQ5 to EQ6, and vice-versa? We routinely supply them (and anything else Berlebach) when requested but don’t currently list them. I will remedy that next week. 

Ah, you said cheaper than a new top-plate. My mistake. It’s late 🙂

Just now, John said:

I'd like both fittings on my Berlebach so something that can convert fairly easily between the EQ6 and HEQ5 fitting would be nice :smiley:

It should allow changing back in a few minutes. 👍🏻

Hopefully the parts will arrive tomorrow.

• Like 2