Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW Rowan AZ100 Alt-Az Mount

FLO

Rowan have released details of their new Rowan AZ100 Alt-Az Mount, and we have a pre-production model to play with assess 🙂 

The mount is currently still in development but will be finished and released November.

We will have one with us on our stall at the International Astronomy Show and @John has kindly agreed to be its SGL beta tester until then. 

The outline spec is as follows: 

All machined black anodised aluminium with stainless steel hardware.
80.0mm diameter 7075 aluminium wheel gear.
Brass worm in adjustable worm block.
High quality ball bearings used throughout.

Capacity 15-20 kg each side (subject to further testing to determine practical limits based on scope lengths)
Adjustable friction clutches on both axis. 
360 degree slow-motion controls.  
*Both slow motion controls remain in alignment with the observer at all times*

Options: 

High resolution encoder modules available (152,000 counts / rev) to interface with DSC's (encoder leads remain in alignment and do not wrap around the azimuth axis).
25mm diameter stainless steel counter weight shaft and mounting flange
Stainless steel counterweights, 150mm diameter, 5kg.

Total weight of mount with saddles: 9Kg

Price is £795.00 for base unit (excluding saddles, encoders, counterweight shaft & counterweight). 

rowan_az100_sgl_1.jpg

rowan_az100_sgl_2.jpg

rowan_az100_sgl_3.jpg

rowan_az100_sgl_4.jpg

rowan_az100_sgl_5.jpg

rowan_az100_sgl_6.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks Steve for the images and information.     
This not only looks great, but that capacity and the thought given to controls moving with you,
well someone has thought things through fully.

Looking forward to the testing by @John with the ED150 onboard 😉
I like that it comes with (additional) encoders, any idea how much this option will add?

Best I start my letter to Santa......
Dear Santa, I have been a good boy this year........

Edited by Alan White

Accessory prices are: 

AZ100 Saddle Plate (200mm long / D Profile) : £95
AZ100 25mm Counter Weight Shaft with Mounting Flange : £65
4.5Kg 125mm diameter Stainless Steel Counterweight : £83
AZ100 Renishaw Encoders : £259

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That looks like a serious bit of kit. 

Can you expand on *Both slow motion controls remain in alignment with the observer at all times* assume it rotates in azimuth below the bottom slo mo control?

I wonder if setting circles can be added?

Edited by jock1958

Looks very nice.

Is the base flat, M10 or M12 bolt in the base to attach to tripod / riser?

What's the distance betweeen the 4 central holes on the clamps? looks like they would be M8 holes

Edited by omo
clarity

Very nice indeed! Definitely a potential purchase for me in the future I would say. Fully loaded with encoders would be excellent, and the slow mos look very useable, similar to the T Rex which is the only other mount where I've found them useful.

Lovely looking mount :smiley:

Can I ask if a dovetail saddle for the AZ100 will available in the Vixen fitting as well as the Losmandy D fitting ?

Can other makes of DT clamp be fitted to the mount ?

Also, as per Omo's question above, what is the tripod fitting ?

Many thanks :smiley:

17 minutes ago, John said:

Can I ask if a dovetail saddle for the AZ100 will available in the Vixen fitting as well as the Losmandy D fitting ?

Actually, aswell as that, dual losmandy/vixen fit clamps would be a nice option.

One thing that would be nice is if you could make it so you can fit the counterweight shaft without having to remove the dovetail clamp - machining a hole in the clamp should do the trick, assuming the arrangement is similar to to Ercole with the CW shaft screwing into the plate where the clamp attaches.

• Like 2

Bottom is flat and M12 thread in the center - it’s designed to go on an EQ6 tripod with the alignment pin removed.

Rowan have done a beautiful job with this - the machining, engineering, mechanics and finish are first class.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Grant said:

Bottom is flat and M12 thread in the center - it’s designed to go on an EQ6 tripod with the alignment pin removed.

Rowan have done a beautiful job with this - the machining, engineering, mechanics and finish are first class.

Right EQ6 top for my Berlebach tripod needed then. 🤔

A quality mount and beautiful looking too. I don’t think they’ll be short of orders (I hope they can meet demand!). 

3 hours ago, FLO said:

Both slow motion controls remain in alignment with the observer at all times

That’s a very nice touch, well done. 

I find it a bit weird that the standard product does not include a saddle as part of its spec - after all its not an accessory, you’ve got to have one! I guess they’re not the only one to do this, I suppose it makes the mount seem cheaper. Minor issue with such a lovely thing though! 🙂

17 minutes ago, Grant said:

It will bolt straight on to my planet / reinforced az8 riser 😁 going to have to move some things on instead of collecting

9 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Right EQ6 top for my Berlebach tripod needed then. 🤔

Same here. Is there an adapter or will I need a new hub section ?

Edit: Don't want to derail this thread into a Berlebach tripod discussion - I'll pursue this elsewhere.

It is a really good looking mount Grant :smiley:

Looks like it will be priced as mount only then you add the options such as saddles etc. 

Looks like Rowan have studdied the AZ8 and addressed it’s shortcomings. The AZ8 slo mo setup looks far better than the AZ8. With the AZ8 the slo mo knobs rotate with the mount which means they can get in some awkward positions. Should be a bit higher load capacity as well. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, John said:

Same here. Is there an adapter or will I need a new hub section ?

Edit: Don't want to derail this thread into a Berlebach tripod discussion - I'll pursue this elsewhere.

It is a really good looking mount Grant :smiley:

As the Berlebach EQ5 tripod top is a flat plate looks like just drilling out the bolt hole to M12 and using a new knob will allow the AZ100 to fit directly on. That is if the AZ100 is completely flat on the bottom.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2