Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEW Rowan AZ100 Alt-Az Mount

FLO

26 minutes ago, Anne S said:

Where did you get those knobs? I find Altair's hard to tighten.

They are M8 threaded ones from WDS Ltd. Not cheap though but so much better than those Altair knobs. I used some 5mm thick M8 nylon washers under the knobs as the thread length was just a couple of mm short. They also do them in polished finish but I preferedd the matt.

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/product/5500/tri-knob-with-threaded-hole-316-stainless-steel-matt-finish-wds-8147/

Edited by johninderby

17 hours ago, djpaul said:

BTW. 

I would be interested in knowing if most people are ordering just the basic mount with or without any accessories?

Saddles,encoders,etc?

Regards Paul 

I went with the mount, encoders, dsc and counterweight bar, but cheaped out and bought an AZEQ6 counterweight. Intend on using a Primaluce clamp

Think i will get the first mod out there - 2 x 25mm nylon spinlock clamps to hold counterweights instead of fiddling with the screw on the end of the bar.

Edited by omo
  • Thanks 1

I've been following this with interest and saw the mount at the IAS.

A smaller lighter version would be up my street but it would have to have slow motion controls.

I can't envisage me using encoders but I can see the benefits of them and guess the facility/option to have them would hold up the resale value.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Paz said:

I've been following this with interest and saw the mount at the IAS.

A smaller lighter version would be up my street but it would have to have slow motion controls.

I can't envisage me using encoders but I can see the benefits of them and guess the facility/option to have them would hold up the resale value.

I agree on all but the slow motions.
A smaller encoder fitted mount from Rowan would be great.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paz said:

Although it's fit and finish are not in the same league as the AZ100, the Skytee II would fall into the category that you mention. I did compare the AZ100 with my Skytee II and the latter held up surprisingly well considering the price difference. Not quite as good at vibration damping but not far off.

But if you want something new, shiny and black, the Skytee II is not that of course !

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, John said:

Although it's fit and finish are not in the same league as the AZ100, the Skytee II would fall into the category that you mention. I did compare the AZ100 with my Skytee II and the latter held up surprisingly well considering the price difference. Not quite as good at vibration damping but not far off.

But if you want something new, shiny and black, the Skytee II is not that of course !

I guess there may be a run of second hand mounts being sold to make way for one of these. Something that will benefit anyone able to take advantage at this time.

Unfortunately my astro budget has been hammered recently and I'm not going to get political approval for any significant acquisitions for some time!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Any news on the shipping date yet? Fingers croseed for this week.🤣

Dave at Rowan is literally assembling them as I type 🙂 

I am confident we will receive them around mid-week so you should receive yours Thu/Fri (assuming the couriers can cope, some struggle at this time of year). 

Thank-you for your patience, 

Steve 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

That looks like a very nice mount. Rowan should be making motors+motor controller+a nice eq wedge for that beast.

From talking to them at IAS the motors are certainly in their plans 😉 

• Like 1

It certainly is a very interesting mount, 
as is the potential sibling one talked about.
Rowan have a very good engineering reputation and things look promising.
I just wish it didn't require a new tripod as well, this makes a whole set up quite an investment.

5 hours ago, johninderby said:

should have a few opportunities over Xmas to put it to use. 🙂

I would like to think so too, seeing as i am off for the best part of 2 weeks but the inevitable ☁️ 🌧️ 🌨️ are likely to scupper this.

Good to hear it may arrive soon though.

On 06/12/2019 at 15:18, John said:

I think I'll be spending some time tinkering with my skytee II this winter as it needs 

some attention , but would much prefer one of the AZ100s.

Brian 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, R26 oldtimer said:

That looks like a very nice mount. Rowan should be making motors+motor controller+a nice eq wedge for that beast.

To me, that takes away its 'raison d'être' 

To get away from wires, noisy motors, plasticky hc's and polar alignements. 👎🏼

Whats best about these types of mounts (i have my own) is their elegant engineering, and ease of use. 

A set of encoders and a good DSC is all i need.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

To get away from wires, noisy motors, plasticky hc's and polar alignements. 👎🏼

Perhaps you are right, but as far as I can tell this looks like a very well engineered mount, with many add-ons already, and with the proper "infrastructure" to make it an excellent modular mount. Besides the motors all it needs is a bent knee type of pedestral/pillar to become a "boutique"/non meridian flip eq mount.

Edited by R26 oldtimer
added content
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

Perhaps you are right, but as far as I can tell this looks like a very well engineered mount, with many add-ons already

No doubt. I was very impressed with it at the IAS, and if i didn't already have my DM-6 , i'd be in the queue for one.

I confess I've thought about whether motors could be added, and it may well be possible. I do agree however that one of the delights of the encoders/DSC is the silence and speed with which you can slew the mount about and find targets much faster than waiting for a motorised one to slew.

During the last few weeks, Dave and I have been trying a few tweaks which I think have really refined the feel of the mount, so I'm sure new owners will be very pleased with them 👍👍

• Like 3

On 16/12/2019 at 12:45, FLO said:

Dave at Rowan is literally assembling them as I type 🙂 

I am confident we will receive them around mid-week so you should receive yours Thu/Fri (assuming the couriers can cope, some struggle at this time of year). 

Our first delivery arrived today but unfortunately too late for us to process and dispatch before the last courier collection. We will however be able to dispatch them to customers when we reopen Monday. Promise 🙂 

Thank-you for your patience, 

Steve 

• Like 1