NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

If you went back to just 1 scope, what would it be?

Alan White

11 minutes ago, George Jones said:

It's possible to have more than scope???

Tell my wife.

Oh yes George,

You can have Many, Many telescopes. 😆
As for Eyepieces, Many more than the Many Telescopes apply. 😆

Hope that helps 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

More seriously, I got the only scope that I have ever owned, a C8, ten years ago. When I got my scope, I lived in a third-floor apartment, and I had to carry my equipment down the stairs and outside (and the reverse at the end of a session!). I now have a house, and I keep my C8 on its tripod in the back garden shed. An easy grab and go.

Now, that I have a house, I am thinking about getting a larger second scope, but, if this doesn't happen, my C8 will keep me happily occupied (I am strictly visual) for the rest of my life.

• Like 3

I have been surprised by how many scopes some folks have. Is this really due to them performing differently  on different objects, just because you enjoy the variety (the scopes as objects of desire) or some other reason?

Regards Andrew 

Ps sorry if this is hijacking the thread but I am genuinely interested. 

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, andrew s said:

I have been surprised by how many scopes some folks have. Is this really due to them performing differently  on different objects, just because you enjoy the variety (the scopes as objects of desire) or some other reason?

Regards Andrew 

My name is Paul....and im a telescopeaholic...

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, andrew s said:

Regards Andrew 

No one scope does everything well. There are always compromises ....... unless you have a scope for every occasion 😁.

This thread is about choosing the scope with the least compromises given the poster’s observing preferences. Different preference/targets, different scope.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, andrew s said:

Regards Andrew 

Different targets, different levels of convenience and portability, manual vs tracking etc

I use my 4" Tak alot for planetary and lunar, often on a basic EQ Tracking mount or a goto. It comes away on holiday with me and is lovely on widefield objects under a dark sky. When the seeing is good I use my 8" f8 on an EQ platform, which gives better resolution. The Tak Mewlon is ready to go on a permanently set up goto mount for other targets (planets are too low from where it is sited), and sometimes it comes with me for club nights locally as it is more convenient than taking the f8. I have a Sumerian 14" Canopus which gets rare outings to dark sites and is very convenient for its size, and am working on a 12.5" truss dob which would be permanently assembled at home for some more home aperture when I want it. Oh, and there is a 72mm apo doublet for very quick grab and go sessions, a Tal Alkor just because I like it and probably a few more around and about.

I'm not sure that's any sort of justification for them, but I enjoy owning them and getting to try different scopes out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have several scopes I've collected over the years as I've moved onwards and upwards.  Most of my earlier ones aren't worth much and I haven't bothered to sell them.

• Like 1

I have recently traded my C8 xlt and 6" Bresser Frac for a new C11xlt OTA to use on a NEQ6 mount permanently cited. I now just have the one scope. I would have gone for the C14 but I don't think the mount or the seeing would have stood it. hope I have done the right thing. Just need some good clear nights to test things out.....Dave

• Like 2

18 hours ago, George Jones said:

Now, that I have a house, I am thinking about getting a larger second scope, but, if this doesn't happen, my C8 will keep me happily occupied (I am strictly visual) for the rest of my life.

5 hours ago, DAVE AMENDALL said:

I have recently traded my C8 xlt and 6" Bresser Frac for a new C11xlt OTA to use on a NEQ6 mount permanently cited. I now just have the one scope.

This is off-topic for the thread, but I am really curious: For visual observing, how much of a difference is there between the C8 and the C11? 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, George Jones said:

This is off-topic for the thread, but I am really curious: For visual observing, how much of a difference is there between the C8 and the C11? 

Planets, on nights of good seeing, will be considerably crisper. DSOs will show more structure, globulars will be more striking and more resolved, holding up at higher magnification. Stellar images will be smaller and tighter. Nice but not entirely life-changing.

My one scope? A six inch refractor. Actually my TEC isn't quite 6 inch at 140mm but it will do the following:

With a full frame camera, moderately widefield imaging...

spacer.png

With a small pixel camera, fairly high res deep sky imaging...

spacer.png

Visual: Sharp planetary views and beautiful DS ones which, though not 'large reflector deep' have that seductive refractor sharpness and contrast.

Olly

• Like 10

Two amazing images Olly!   A great site and superb equipment plus oodles of experience contributed to those superb images I guess...

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, iPeace said:

P.S. It makes more sense to keep the 8 inch f/6 newt, but I could never let this one go...

Zooming in on the nameplate reveals a TeleVue 85.   Very nice indeed.  How do I know ?  Because I once owned a TV85 and was daft enough to sell it.    It was an early model with the shiny finish to the lens cell and focuser just like yours.  I had one of those “it seemed like a good idea at the time moments”...............👎👎👎

Ed.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, iPeace said:

DSC_2551.thumb.JPG.deaf2bf4217aad28795b925d08ce2b8d.JPG

:happy11:

P.S. It makes more sense to keep the 8 inch f/6 newt, but I could never let this one go...

Hello Mike, nice to see you joining in.
I thought 'Stanley' would be the single keeper 😀

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, NGC 1502 said:

Zooming in on the nameplate reveals a TeleVue 85.   Very nice indeed.  How do I know ?  Because I once owned a TV85 and was daft enough to sell it.    It was an early model with the shiny finish to the lens cell and focuser just like yours.  I had one of those “it seemed like a good idea at the time moments”...............👎👎👎

Ed.

Oh we all have moments of madness when it comes to kit, 
selling mainly but quite often buyers regret as well.

Those TV scopes are a very fine bit of kit, I would love one as 'The' refractor to be honest.

• Like 1

I’ve already measured up the “box” ...... when I go the TV Genesis goes with me!

over the years I’ve build and used scopes up the 29” Dobbie.

the 10” f5 dobbie represented to me the sweet spot, and the C11 the “work” machine for the spectroscopy but the Genesis was always around for the fun times.

• Like 1

I've had a lot of telescopes since I started observing.

If I had to have only one of them?

Really difficult. I could pin it down to one or other of 8" f6 Dob with good optics, or Skywatcher ED120 f7.5.

Interestingly, I have neither of those at the moment, though I do hope to add a new 8" Dob at some point.

At the moment my Tak FC100Df serves very well as an all-rounder for solar, planetary, lunar, and brighter DSOs - and it's portable, high quality, easy to set up and use as well.

So that could be a contender too. Although for me, I don't think I'd ever "choose" to just have one scope on its own.

Edited by A McEwan
  • Like 3