Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Epic NLC display?

Paul M

So I'm at our Luxury Cumbrian Villa for one night only and was outside playing with my new to me Canon 1200D DSLR and noticed some very high cirrus that was brighter than I'd expect.

NLC thinks I, not unusual up here this time of year but this looks like a very bright display in the making. High up and bright.

Still not dark enough to be sure but one to watch!

Maybe christen the new camera tonight :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Paul M said:

So I'm at our Luxury Cumbrian Villa for one night only and was outside playing with my new to me Canon 1200D DSLR and noticed some very high cirrus that was brighter than I'd expect.

NLC thinks I, not unusual up here this time of year but this looks like a very bright display in the making. High up and bright.

Still not dark enough to be sure but one to watch!

Maybe christen the new camera tonight :)

Great show indeed. I managed to take a few shots from my back garden in Bushey, Herts. Here's one of them.

Noctilucent_1.thumb.jpg.940544eba3595d14fbb11c2b478ea73c.jpg

Emil

• Like 7

Nice!

Took some shots myself but no means of getting them off the camera here. Picked the camera up enrout to Cumbria so no leads or car reader here.

Really spectacular detailed area SW of polaris. High up and bright.

We have some beautiful ones here right nowIMG_20190621_233137.thumb.jpg.af50b0123cb1a485ab0da755d5fa7a5b.jpg

Look closely you can see an iridium flare top left portion of the image.IMG_20190621_232602.thumb.jpg.435beaff6e1cedbd9532174aaa750272.jpg

I'm really happy I noticed them before going to bed. By far the biggest and brightest Noctilucent clouds I have ever seen. Pictures are taken on my OnePlus 7 pro.

Victor

• Like 3

Thanks Paul! I was out having a little observe with the scope and didn't notice anything, but your note made me check before turning in. Blocked by trees to the north from the garden, I saw a very nice display from the bathroom window.

Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Peter Drew said:

Thanks to all those who posted the great images.     😀

Indeed. Cracking display but my nocturnal  activities are mostly reserved for my night shifts from which I'm currently recovering so I'm monitoring the rest of this display from my bed courtesy of SGL!

Some beautiful images in here. I'm ashamed to say that in my haste to charge a dead battery for a few minutes to take some images, I completely messed up the focus. After it died and went back on charge for another few minutes i ended up with only 2 images which i had to stand on a chair, that sat on top of a bench, to reach a low roof to be able to take these 2 pictures.

nlc1.jpg

nlc2.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

Some beautiful images in here. I'm ashamed to say that in my haste to charge a dead battery for a few minutes to take some images, I completely messed up the focus. After it died and went back on charge for another few minutes i ended up with only 2 images which i had to stand on a chair, that sat on top of a bench, to reach a low roof to be able to take these 2 pictures.

nlc1.jpg

nlc2.jpg

Worth the effort though 😁

• Like 1