Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Important - New Server - Downtime Tonight 9pm

SGL is getting a shiny new server - double the memory, more processors and all SSD space so it should be even faster than what we currently have.

We are also moving to a different host run by people who we've used before - our current host was brought out quietly by GoDaddy some time back and the support / response / quality hasn't been the same hence the decision to move.

This also gives us chance to refresh the operating system as well as the hardware.

The site will be down from 9pm tonight (9th May) for hopefully only a couple of hours.

Once we are back, please give everything chance to settle back down and the search indexes / caches to rebuild but I am confident SGL will be zipping along faster than ever in no time.

Cheers,

Grant

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7

11 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

What server and OS does it run on currently Grant?

Cent OS but moving to Cloud Linux.

Moving from 32gb to 64gb of memory and 12x CPU to 16x CPU with full SSD drive (currently only the database sits on an SSD drive).

• Like 3

Just now, kirkster501 said:

Interesting,. thanks Grant.

Are you going to run the two simultaneously then cut off the existing server at 9 after a DB snapshot ?  I've done many of these over the years in my job.

Exactly - a copy of SGL is technically already running on the new server. We will do a final sync and db transfer later so hopefully, it should be less than an hour but you never know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grant said:

Exactly - a copy of SGL is technically already running on the new server. We will do a final sync and db transfer later so hopefully, it should be less than an hour but you never know.

Yes indeed, "you never know"! :)   How many times have I said that before.... ?

Do you know which geographical data centre runs the SGL server or no idea and it is just hosted in the cloud somewhere?

Edited by kirkster501

See you on the flip side :biggrin:

I'm sure a lot of people here don't see what goes into running SGL and all the work you put into it. So a big thank you from me and everyone else for doing a fantastic job ?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Grant said:

SGL is getting a shiny new server - double the memory, more processors and all SSD space so it should be even faster than what we currently have.

We are also moving to a different host run by people who we've used before - our current host was brought out quietly by GoDaddy some time back and the support / response / quality hasn't been the same hence the decision to move.

This also gives us chance to refresh the operating system as well as the hardware.

The site will be down from 9pm tonight (9th May) for hopefully only a couple of hours.

Once we are back, please give everything chance to settle back down and the search indexes / caches to rebuild but I am confident SGL will be zipping along faster than ever in no time.

Cheers,

Grant

Many thanks in advance to you all.

Edited by Saganite

Welcome to the new server 🙂

Everything looks good so far - the search index is rebuilding so may be slower than normal and you may get some odd results in your activity field until it completes.

Otherwise, any problems please let me know.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Hosting is at Digital Ocean now?  I may have to re-evaluate my opinion of them.  On the basis of almost no information whatsoever I have had quite a downer on them due to the level of abusive spidering and page scraping directed at a group of servers I look after from their cloud hosting environment, to the point where I have just been shutting out their netblocks entirely.  Perhaps I have been excessively hasty.

James