Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just saying Hi !

wesdon1

Hi all ! I've just joined. I am on my second Telescope. It's a SkyWatcher 130.  I lost my Virginity to a SkyWatcher 114/500(P). She was a great little Gal and gave me the taste for more! lol Metaphors n rubbish aside, my current 130 SW is a great scope, though i'm quickly learning our UK skies are a pain the the back side for clouds!! Then when you get a clear night, the seeing is normally bad!?? lol I'm in no way fazed though cos afetr first seeing Jupiter and 4 of her Moons, i was/am completely HOOKED!! Amazing sight! Saturn was awesome too, though the veiwung that morning was pretty bad, so i couldn't get the best resolution etc. Anyways, any other newbies out there, drop me a line any time and we can discuss whatever you like and learn from each others mistakes! lol

Yours in Wonder of the Heavens, Wes.

• Like 2

On 18/04/2019 at 08:47, Dave Lloyd said:

Hi there Wes, welcome. 

Hi David, Thank You for the warm welcome from yourself and others. I'm hoping for some clear skies tonight (20/04/2019) Liverpool area looks good on forecast, so hopefully i (and many others! lol) can get a good night/morning out of it. I currently do a few hours after sunset, then set my alarm for around 4am to try get a couple planets in. Obviously i'm only 4 months into my new hobby (though like a lot of adults, I've always wanted a Telescope but for various reasons had never got one) and still have tons to learn, so please excuse anything i say or am doing if it's wrong, or goes against sky-gazing and Astrophotography etiquette! lol I'm already suffering terrible Aperture Feever! haha and at 130mm (F6.9) there's definitely room to grow! lol Also, i'm really interested in AstroPhotography. I'm saving up for both a larger Aperture, sub-F7 'scope, as well as a decent webcam/imager. Buying a DSLR seems like using a sledge Hammer to crack a nut imho, as for starters, they relatively very heavy and would cause damage to focuser apparatus and affect collimation, secondly, they're designed for a completely different area of photography imho, and thirdly, they're expensive! I can buy a decent enough Camera like a SVBONY for around £50 that looks like it will do a fine job for the money? If i'm completely wrong then plz forgive me! I'm still learning! lol

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and welcome to SGL. Clouds are a recurring problem to all who are hooked on astronomy.... it's amazing how many days are cloudy, or how many cloudy days we suddenly notice when we buy a telescope.

• Like 1

Again Thank you all for such a warm and friendly welcome to the Forum. You all seem really friendly members and i'm even more enthusiastic about my new hobby because the star gazing community on here are all so friendly and welcoming! I look forward to many years of learning, experiencing and sharing my new amazing hobby. I just wish i would have got involved years ago when i first started looking up and wondering...