Narrowband

Imaging Challenge #22 - Christmas Present Challenge

The theme for the 22nd challenge - January 2019 - is the Christmas Present Challenge!

Start Date: 25th December 2018
End Date: 31st March 2019

Rules: A bit of New Year festive fun. This time the challenge is to image with, through, via, using, in conjunction with anything you were given for Christmas :) Something you gave yourself for Christmas also counts! :biggrin: Please let us know in the image description what item(s) were used.

Prize: A personalised mug for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places featuring your image kindly provided by our sponsors FLO :) and a virtual trophy for your signature.

--

RULES

All data must be captured and processed by you (no collaborative entries). 
Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates. 
Multiple entries are allowed but please start a new topic for each entry. 
Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

--

To enter please start a new topic with your image in the ‘Imaging Challenge #22' forum (each challenge will have it’s own). Please post as much information as possible - when it was taken, how it was captured and processed, etc. The info won't necessarily be used for judging but will help fellow SGLers looking to learn and improve their knowledge and technique.

• Like 3

Wow, what a difficult challenge, when I got nothing remotely connected with astronomy or photography for Crimble.  I guess I could wrap the socks around the flex-tube as a light shield!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Well my celestron FirstScope is arriving soon (somebody gifted it to me i bought myself a heritage 130p as a christmas gift(ordered it 2 days ago because i wanted my telescope to be a good one and it took some reasearch)  XD its a pretty bad telescope for this competition as it is mounted on a dob base and has an aperature of 76mm and a short focal lenght of 300mm But ill try my best ?

My only hope is saturn and the moon:P i dont expect any decent results tho. well good luck to everybody! Best wishes and clear skies! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Merry Christmas tree nebula everybody! Some (achem) of the data was captured in January but come on people... it was wall to wall clouds in Jan. Surely a little bit of February data can creep in too... (alright alright I know , I'm disqualified) Shot with my xmas present to myself : Skywatcher esprite 80mm bought from flo and taken from my roof in London. btw if anyone has any tips on star colours for narrow banders like myself then I'd love to hear them.

cone elements v3.jpeg

• Like 2

You need to start a new thread in the challenge forum with your submission, this is the discussion thread so images in here aren't in the challenge.

How much data did you capture? What did you use to process?

Nice subject though ?

GIMP is getting a good work out there, I'll have to Google that other app new one to me. The challenge is open to the end of this month so plenty space for getting a clear night, had just the one here that fitted when I could get outside.

• 3 weeks later...

umm...  does it have to have been a present from last Christmas ?  Half my kit is from christmases past, but I'm racking my brains for anything from last Christmas.

I don't think I can count the star atlas I got, since I already knew where the Rosette was !