NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

I agree Chris..I also liked the Ultima LX's as they work well in my slow scopes, and again are comfortable to use. O find the 68-70deg fields than uber- wides, although I do really like my new ES 6.7mm 82..

Here's my modest case..post-4043-0-46128500-1439419482_thumb.jp

Back row L-R..5mm genuine TMB planetary, 6.7mm ES 82, Maxvision 20mm 68, Luminos 23mm 82, ES 34mm 68.

Front row a couple of bits with Baader 8-24mm zoom.post-4043-0-96782800-1439419756_thumb.jp

And some of the boxes they came in...the ES box is truly huge!!

(Note Meade 5k plossl in front of boxes for scale:-))

Dave

post-4043-0-75988400-1439419872_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-47683700-1439420070_thumb.jp

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 2

Thanks John :smiley: . Very modest set, but it's a work in progress and I'm getting there.

Yes, I do like orthos  -  a lot - but I've been giving a lot of thought to my eyepieces in recent months and I've also challenged myself to look at some newer variants that I've not tried before.

I think the start of things was that I now have just 3 scopes, all of them with 2" focusers that can take the heavier weight of some of the newer widefield eps. The Moonlight on my D&G positively eats big eyepieces and they do help move the balance point of my long ota tubes back a bit, so lifting the eyepiece end off the ground more.

I was thinking back to the only time I have  owned a truly "premium branded" eyepiece: it was a Nagler T6 13mm and it was (and is) the best eyepiece I have ever looked through. I wasn't able to keep it sadly, but I won't ever forget the views and in recent months I was struck by how well regarded the Maxvision SWAs were and how reasonably priced.

I bought a couple to try, the 16mm and 20mm. I was astounded at how good they are, and how sharp across the wide 68deg field - on axis I cannot distinguish between an ortho and the Maxvisions. I realise that my long scopes are very forgiving on eyepiece edge of field sharpness, but nonetheless, very impressive.

So, I let the 16mm go but kept the 20mm, the reason being  that I still really like my Baader zoom and it's convenience of use, but, like other users, I do find it rather narrow at the 20 and 24mm settings - I would say that the 24mm setting is not the claimed 50 degrees but more like 44-45 degrees, ie more like an ortho (and I've read other reviews saying much the same). So, I decided that the 20mm at 68 degrees would pick up nicely where the Baader (which I find great from about 16mm down to the 8mm maximum) loses on field of view..it really is kind of counter-intuitive when an eyepiece view shrinks as the focal length increases - back to front to fixed eyepieces, so to speak! I'd still like to find a 24mm version as well, so if you have one spare, pm me!

Next,  I pulled the trigger on a mint, used ES34mm, again a 68degree field (I do find the 68-70 deg range a "sweet spot"), for low power views of starfields, clusters etc. The ES34mm is a superb eyepiece, I cannot fault it, and the build quality is a step up from the Maxvisions, which themselves are very solidly built. I did recently try a 28mm Maxvision, which was also excellent, but I found it just too close to my 34mm in practice, so I let that one go to young Dom, up in Lincolnshire, who received it this week :laugh: .

Apart from the baader zoom, which can cover the 10mm-16mm areas fine for now, with a decent field of view, I don't have a fixed eyepiece at that length, so that will be the next step.. I am thinking seriously of the 14mm ES 82 which I believe would be very similar in my scopes to the Nagler T6 13mm.

Finally, for high power viewing (and I do love my doubles and planets :grin: ), I have found an original Burgess/TMB 5mm planetary for £38 - in mint condition with box and caps and a gem of an eyepiece, sharp as an ortho but more comfortable and wider 58deg field which is great. I've had two of the chinese clones, and have found the "genuine one" to be significantly better and sharper with great light scatter control. I've also added another high power, but very different ep, the ES 6.7mm 82 deg which I bought new from 365Astronomy on the basis of glowing reviews on here - so far, this is the eyepiece which most reminds me of the Nagler (although higher power), and it's on that basis that I am seriously thinking of the 14mm to complete my set.

I have also ordered a new Revelation 2" ED barlow (I've had several in the past and don't know why I sell them, they are amazing for the cost of £36 new from TH, posted), so I can use it with my lower power units to get higher power, but with no loss of eye relief etc. The Revelation can also be used at 1.5x by unscrewing the lens end and screwing that into the eyepiece filter thread. And the tube can be used as an extension tube for cyclops views if you have a shortened tube for binoviewing, so a very flexible tool.

What about the orthos?

Well, I still love a good ortho, always will. But as my eyes get older, I simply don't think that I have the acuity of vision, or observing conditions, to justify what are becoming silly prices for eyepieces that offer very small views with tight eye relief. I guess I want comfort at the eyepiece and feel that that is the way I will get the most out of my scopes, by being comfortable. I'd stress though that this is me, at my age.. 20 years younger and I'd be happy teasing out every last minute detail from a full set of BGO's (which I once bought on UKABS, as new, for £300).

One thing I will definitely get back to in retirement (hopefully in the next 2 years or less :p ), will be binoviewing. I miss my Maxbrights and if we do get to our rural dark sky location in retirement I will definitely invest in another one. The great thing about binoviewing is that you can use vintage, not expensive eyepieces such as the Tal 25mm plossls, and get stunning, comfortable views of Moon and Planets..

Have loved reading this thread, and I stand in awe of the eyepiece sets some of you guys have - and of the cash that's clearly been invested in them!! :eek:  :p ..

Sorry to ramble on - but you did ask! :grin:.

Dave

• Like 6

My set has actually not changed for a while now, which breaks the trend of the past decade :rolleyes2:

I'm going to be playing with a set of the Vixen SSW's for a while though, thanks to First Light Optics :smiley:

• Like 2

Finally I can join the party :)

Here's my new case. Just got it last week and spend some time this weekend fine tuning it... At last, I can throw away my cardboard boxes and ziploc bags :)

post-39102-0-17675900-1439802983_thumb.j

post-39102-0-01144600-1439802996_thumb.j

• Like 6

Talking about "useful goodies", what else do you guys carry with you, apart from the obvious that is?

In mine, I carry a powerful torch, the first night I forget that, I know I'm gonna drop something in the dark. Compass, to help setup the Alt Azamuth mount. Insect repellant. My dark sky is in the middle of a swamp.

Do you have anything else to make your life easier?

My observing kit comprises of scope, eyepieces + filters, a red torch and the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas. Thats enough to keep me busy for a few hours, clouds allowing. I sometimes pop indoors for a coffee to warm up or to consult a more detailed star atlas or my laptop,

Hi Indibush

I envy you, sounds like you perhaps make your living from music?

I just like banging out a few power chords to relieve the stress of daily living, haven't played in a band since I was a young man in the 70s though..

Watching the skies and good rock music. What could be better??:-)

Dave