Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

Derek,

Personally I don't have a scope for the 3.7mm but I could always buy one to need it, I was also aware of Stu's problem with lashes, I have long ones too.

I find I like the Delos range more on planets than the Ethos range, it focuses the attention on the target better a bit like an ortho with larger FOV but not too large. I have doubled up at 10mm, 8mm and 6mm however the Dobsonian use would finder the Ethos range more useful whereas I find the Delos better in the SC . I have spent hours comparing them and to be honest can't find any real differences apart from the FOV and a very slightly flatter edge showing a tad less distortion in the Delos, but in truth not enough to write an interesting review.

I don't for the life of me know how they do it but the edge distortion in the Ethos is much better than that of either the Nagler or Panoptic ranges, truely stunning wallet emptying eyepieces.

• Like 1

John, I had the 3.7 for a while as it gave an almost perfect high mag in my refractors. Personally though I found it uncomfortable to use. I had to push my eye into the dished lens to see the full 110 degrees and I ended up seeing my eyelashes more than the target! I guess the eye relief feels shorter than it actually is. You can pull your eye away a little but then don't see the full field which defeats the object a little.

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely eyepiece if you can get on with it.

I found a similar effect when I had the Myriad 5mm and 3.5mm 110 degree eyepieces on loan from FLO Stu. They were very nice eyepieces but even I found 110 degrees just a little too much combined with the eye relief.

The Powermate 2x has just been delivered (my 3rd one of these - when will I learn not to get rid of good things ? :rolleyes2: ) so I have access to 4mm and 3mm virtual Ethos's when I want them to compliment my short focal length Pentax XW's and Radians.

• Like 1

Derek,

Personally I don't have a scope for the 3.7mm but I could always buy one to need it, I was also aware of Stu's problem with lashes, I have long ones too.

I find I like the Delos range more on planets than the Ethos range, it focuses the attention on the target better a bit like an ortho with larger FOV but not too large. I have doubled up at 10mm, 8mm and 6mm however the Dobsonian use would finder the Ethos range more useful whereas I find the Delos better in the SC . I have spent hours comparing them and to be honest can't find any real differences apart from the FOV and a very slightly flatter edge showing a tad less distortion in the Delos, but in truth not enough to write an interesting review.

I don't for the life of me know how they do it but the edge distortion in the Ethos is much better than that of either the Nagler or Panoptic ranges, truely stunning wallet emptying eyepieces.

Alan,

I have similar experience of preferring the Delos for planets (and the Moon) so will probably hold onto them if finances allow when I bring the high power Ethos into the case. The DeLites will very much be experimental and I have resigned myself to taking hit in the wallet if I buy them and decide to move them on.

Those very high power EPs from these ranges are a true luxury and I have to pinch myself at times when I realise that I have a few hundred quid tied up in EPs that will leave the case three or four times a year. That won't stop me buying the E3.7, but it might prevent me hanging on to the D3.5 for the long term.

I've been using the Powermated 8mm and 6mm Ethos's with my ED120 on Saturn this evening. Wow !! :shocked:

How the heck do Tele Vue manage to get 13-14 bits of glass to become so invisible even with "just" 4.7" of aperture feeding light through them ???

• Like 2

I've been using the Powermated 8mm and 6mm Ethos's with my ED120 on Saturn this evening. Wow !! :shocked:

How the heck do Tele Vue manage to get 13-14 bits of glass to become so invisible even with "just" 4.7" of aperture feeding light through them ???

What were your targets John?

Oops! Just read the post properly!

I keep promising myself a Powermate but have become completely disillusioned with the 6 or 7 Barlows I have owned, including 4 from TV. Is the Powermate really that much better? If so I might have to do it.

Edited by DRT

Definition of frustration: working in London during a tube strike and receiving an email from Telescope House to say your Ethos 6mm and 10mm are being delivered today, a text from your wife to say a package has arrived and a weather forecast that says it's clear all night at home.

:sad:

or should that be...

:grin:

• Like 3

What were your targets John?

Oops! Just read the post properly!

I keep promising myself a Powermate but have become completely disillusioned with the 6 or 7 Barlows I have owned, including 4 from TV. Is the Powermate really that much better? If so I might have to do it.

A powermate isn't precisely just a barlow.... it's telecentric, which is why unlike a regular barlow it preserves eye relief.

Just as with EPs, you can get the same thing for about half price from Explore Scientific, they call theirs a focal extender.

Definition of frustration: working in London during a tube strike and receiving an email from Telescope House to say your Ethos 6mm and 10mm are being delivered today, a text from your wife to say a package has arrived and a weather forecast that says it's clear all night at home.

:sad:

or should that be...

:grin:

The good thing of this hobby is that the gems in the Sky are still there tomorrow, next month, next year and so on.. :)

Enjoy your super Ethoi!  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

The good thing of this hobby is that the gems in the Sky are still there tomorrow, next month, next year and so on.. :)

Enjoy your super Ethoi!  :rolleyes:

Will do. Just the 3.7mm and 4.7mm to go and it's a full house. Then I'm done, until the DeLites are actually available to buy :lol:

A powermate isn't precisely just a barlow.... it's telecentric, which is why unlike a regular barlow it preserves eye relief.

Just as with EPs, you can get the same thing for about half price from Explore Scientific, they call theirs a focal extender.

I had a focal extender when i had my 82° ES eyepieces and wasn't overly impressed with that either.

The 2" 2x Powermate is a superb piece of kit. I've tried a lot of barlows over the years but a Powermate is in a different league. What amazes me is that with something like Saturn, the full 100 degree FoV of the Ethos is preserved and also it's sharpness right across the field. I could see all the subtle features of Saturn including the ring divisions, shadows on the globe etc all the way across the field and they were still sharply defined as the planet slid behind the field stop, no focus adjustment needed, no slight CA creeping in at the field edges, not dimming at any point. Great optics :grin:

Hope you enjoy the 6 and 10 Ethoi. They are just as good as the others in the range :smiley:

PS: Steve / Swamp Thing rates the Powermate as the best thing in his eyepiece case :wink:

• Like 1

The 2" 2x Powermate is a superb piece of kit. I've tried a lot of barlows over the years but a Powermate is in a different league. What amazes me is that with something like Saturn, the full 100 degree FoV of the Ethos is preserved and also it's sharpness right across the field. I could see all the subtle features of Saturn including the ring divisions, shadows on the globe etc all the way across the field and they were still sharply defined as the planet slid behind the field stop, no focus adjustment needed, no slight CA creeping in at the field edges, not dimming at any point. Great optics :grin:

Hope you enjoy the 6 and 10 Ethoi. They are just as good as the others in the range :smiley:

PS: Steve / Swamp Thing rates the Powermate as the best thing in his eyepiece case :wink:

the powermate + 8mm ethos...is just stunning on so many targets...

• Like 2

and that's why I've got so few expensive ep's in my case..

post-17934-0-38557200-1424792178_thumb.j
honestly without the powermate I'd be looking at the 6mm E, 4.7 E and maybe others!!
Edited by estwing
  • Like 3

I had a focal extender when i had my 82° ES eyepieces and wasn't overly impressed with that either.

Why?

I recently got to compare an ES100- 20mm in an ES focal extender against an ES100-9mm without it and apart from the slight magnification difference didn't observe any significant difference at all other than better eye relief with the 20mm since a telecentric FE preserves ER.

Likewise on the 82 series I compared the 30mm in the 2X focal extender to the native 82 series 14mm-  again no significant difference other than enjoying the better ER with the one in the focal extender.

I didn't have the focal extender or the ES eyepieces for long and it might just have been that I didn't encounter the right circumstances to use the magnification.

But I've taken the advice above and ordered the TV 2x @" Powermate to avoid spending another £800+ on the E3.7mm and 4.7mm.

• Like 3

I didn't have the focal extender or the ES eyepieces for long and it might just have been that I didn't encounter the right circumstances to use the magnification.

But I've taken the advice above and ordered the TV 2x @" Powermate to avoid spending another £800+ on the E3.7mm and 4.7mm.

:icon_salut:

• Like 1

I took a few deep breaths and sold my Delos 3.5mm, 4.5mm, 6mm and 10mm yesterday. Ethos 6mm & 10mm, a 2x 2" Powermate and a 25mm Plossl have taken their place in the case.

post-33858-0-80233400-1436810163.jpg

I now really am done on eyepieces until the DeLites are available :wink:

• Like 4

I took a few deep breaths and sold my Delos 3.5mm, 4.5mm, 6mm and 10mm yesterday. Ethos 6mm & 10mm, a 2x 2" Powermate and a 25mm Plossl have taken their place in the case.

attachicon.gif2015-07-13 12.25.37-1.jpg

I now really am done on eyepieces until the DeLites are available :wink:

Doesn't get much better than that Derek :)

I think I'll add an 8mm Ethos at some point. Look forward to hearing how you go with the 8 and 6 in the powermate. Should be excellent.

Btw, your case must be huge! :)

• Like 1