SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

The BCO arrived today so the collection is now complete (for now!) and although they're not top-end high value eyepieces, I'm really happy with the selection as they all come highly recommended on these forums and didn't cost the earth!

With these and my brilliant little SkyWatcher Heritage 130p (AWB OneSky) hopefully I should have plenty to help me start properly exploring the moon and night skies over the coming years! 🚀

pixlr_20200429135304749_20200429143320585.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, c4llum83 said:

The BCO arrived today so the collection is now complete (for now!) and although they're not top-end high value eyepieces, I'm really happy with the selection as they all come highly recommended on these forums and didn't cost the earth!

With these and my brilliant little SkyWatcher Heritage 130p (AWB OneSky) hopefully I should have plenty to help me start properly exploring the moon and night skies over the coming years! 🚀

That's inspiring, adding space in the case for the evening tot 😂

41 minutes ago, davhei said:

That's inspiring, adding space in the case for the evening tot 😂

Can't be a good pirate without a telescope or rum! #AstronomyEssentials

giphy.gif

Edited by c4llum83
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/04/2020 at 14:37, c4llum83 said:

What's the dimensions of yours please? I've been trying to work what size needed. Currently have 5 EP's, Barlow, Concentre and probably need to allow for a couple of filters and two more EP's.

Was looking at the Peli 1450 but wondering whether I can get away with something a touch smaller (HRPC 2250)?? 

Edit: Just found this which looks decent value https://casesuperstore.co.uk/product/nanuk-910-case/

Edited by Stardaze

2 hours ago, Stardaze said:

What's the dimensions of yours please? I've been trying to work what size needed. Currently have 5 EP's, Barlow, Concentre and probably need to allow for a couple of filters and two more EP's.

Was looking at the Peli 1450 but wondering whether I can get away with something a touch smaller (HRPC 2250)?? 

Edit: Just found this which looks decent value https://casesuperstore.co.uk/product/nanuk-910-case/

This is mine. Lots of different sizes and quick delivery. https://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/roc-cases-flight-case-with-foam-block-silver-l310xw240xh130mm

Some. Have pick n pluck foam but this was a solid block. I posted previously about how I cut the holes using a cut deodorant can!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, c4llum83 said:

This is mine. Lots of different sizes and quick delivery. https://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/roc-cases-flight-case-with-foam-block-silver-l310xw240xh130mm

Some. Have pick n pluck foam but this was a solid block. I posted previously about how I cut the holes using a cut deodorant can!

Thanks for that. The hurricane case looks a decent option for now. Hopefully can’t go wrong at those prices. Just whether I go for the ‘cut your own’ option 🤔

Edited by Stardaze

7 hours ago, Stardaze said:

I've got a nanuk case- they're super tough and look to be waterproof. Very high quality up there with Peli etc

Mark

• Thanks 1

I've not visited this thread for a while but having been over the past few pages of posts, there are some amazing eyepiece collections here and some seriously nice boxes and cases as well !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, markse68 said:

I've got a nanuk case- they're super tough and look to be waterproof. Very high quality up there with Peli etc

Mark

I’m going to go nanuk I think. They do look to be very nice and still 40% cheaper than a peli. What size is yours?

Nothing new here, this case full has already been discussed widely on its own thread (which I was chuffed to bits with), but I thought I'd better add the same picture to this thread just to play nicely.  The nice thing is that they all came from generous SGL members second-hand over some time and I think I'm really lucky.  I have got a couple of options for a wider FOV already in another box, but my bank balance is just hoping the ideal candidate for this, my posh box, doesn't appear on SGL classifieds as I think I need to curtail the spending for now!

Morpheii.jpg

Edited by JOC
  • Like 8

I really, really must try a Morpheus some time :icon_biggrin:

The only change in my boxes is that I've now had to find a permanent place in box 2 for the Explore Scientific 17mm 92 degree behemoth. After a period when I could not get on with it's eye positioning, I've had a number of much more positive experiences with it. It's correction and throughput are certainly just as good as the Ethos - I reckon these 92's are the best eyepieces that ES have produced :thumbright:

epcase10620.JPG

epcase20620.JPG

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, John said:

The only change in my boxes is that I've now had to find a permanent place in box 2 for the Explore Scientific 17mm 92 degree behemoth. After a period when I could not get on with it's eye positioning, I've had a number of much more positive experiences with it. It's correction and throughput are certainly just as good as the Ethos - I reckon these 92's are the best eyepieces that ES have produced :thumbright:

epcase10620.JPG

epcase20620.JPG

That’s about as good as it gets John! Wonderful set.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John said:

epcase10620.JPG

epcase20620.JPG

Those do look pretty special John. I fancy maybe a 14mm Delos to tip my toe in the TV water. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Stardaze said:

I’m going to go nanuk I think. They do look to be very nice and still 40% cheaper than a peli. What size is yours?

It’s a 905 (had to check) it’s for my smaller eps- orthos, plossls etc. There’s a pic somewhere in this thread. The catches are nicer I think than the peli or hprc  ones- they lock open or closed 

mark

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, markse68 said:

It’s a 905 (had to check) it’s for my smaller eps- orthos, plossls etc. There’s a pic somewhere in this thread. The catches are nicer I think than the peli or hprc  ones- they lock open or closed 

mark

Ah great. I've ordered a 910 earlier.

So... I’ve butchered my first eyepiece section. What’s the secret to a nice clean cut that you've all managed in the foam? Have you all bought a laser cutter 😂 I will admit that I’ve jumped straight into it with a craft knife that could be sharper, so you’re going to tell me the obvious I fear..

Edited by Stardaze

1 hour ago, Stardaze said:

So... I’ve butchered my first eyepiece section. What’s the secret to a nice clean cut that you've all managed in the foam? Have you all bought a laser cutter 😂 I will admit that I’ve jumped straight into it with a craft knife that could be sharper, so you’re going to tell me the obvious I fear..

You want a blade that can cut full thickness/depth of the foam for neatest cuts- bread knives are surprisingly good or for tight corners a long thin filetting knife

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Stardaze said:

The foam I have is pick n’ pluck, i.e. pre-cut in cubes that you can simply take apart cleanly with your fingers. No need for knives and results in nice cleanly cut sections. It’s fairly common I think.

1 hour ago, davhei said:

The foam I have is pick n’ pluck, i.e. pre-cut in cubes that you can simply take apart cleanly with your fingers. No need for knives and results in nice cleanly cut sections. It’s fairly common I think.

Mines pick and pluck too but plucking wouldn’t leave a a bit of a mess looking at it. The wife fancies a go at it 😆

• Like 1

The foam in my cases is "pick and pluck" as well but I don't actually remove any.

I've found that depressing sections of the foam around the eyepiece shape and then using the foam in the lid to hold the eyepieces in their depressions works fine. If I change an eyepiece (which I used to do rather often :rolleyes2:) I could then pull the depression back up and make a new one that fitted the new arrival.

My cases and foam have survived many changes of occupancy over the years and still look reasonably neat.

Here are some earlier iterations of the same case and foam. These cover about a decade (earliest first):

eps01.jpeg

eps02.jpg

eps03.jpg

eps04.JPG

eps05.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, John said:

The foam in my cases is "pick and pluck" as well but I don't actually remove any.

I've found that depressing sections of the foam around the eyepiece shape and then using the foam in the lid to hold the eyepieces in their depressions works fine. If I change an eyepiece (which I used to do rather often :rolleyes2:) I could then pull the depression back up and make a new one that fitted the new arrival.

My cases and foam have survived many changes of occupancy over the years and still look reasonably neat.

Here are some earlier iterations of the same case and foam. These cover about a decade (earliest first):

eps01.jpeg

eps02.jpg

eps03.jpg

eps04.JPG

eps05.JPG

That’s interesting John, thanks. I am a little worried that I will change a few in the coming years so might try that.

• Thanks 1

Got to glue my hasty bull-in-a-China-shop section but it’s coming together. The plan is to add the 8.8 and 14 next month, then eventually I fancy a much better 17 to replace the 16 nirvana (I’ll keep it too but not in this case). Thinking either the Nagler 17T4 or maybe the ES 17 92 or 100 deg? Plenty of time yet And there’s a nice spot at the bottom for it. Will be ready for the winter with a good enough selection to suss where the upgrades might be fun next year.

B44318A9-4868-48C1-BE40-0DC9FF0BAD80.jpeg

Edited by Stardaze
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Stardaze said:

Thinking either the Nagler 17T4 or maybe the ES 17 92 or 100 deg?

The NT4 17mm is very sharp, but has field curvature and some mild SAEP (kidney-beaning) when you press in enough to see the field stop.  It's hefty (heaviest of all the NT4s), but relatively compact.

The ES-92 17mm is better in every way except size and weight.  It has a wider AFOV, no field curvature, no edge of field astigmatism, no SAEP, and better eye relief for eyeglass wearers.

Below is a comparison image showing the view through several of my eyepieces in this size range.

1144537398_16.7mm-17mm.thumb.JPG.99fc052d434a2db183ca8a1657863a5a.JPG603176621_16.7mm-17mmAFOV.thumb.jpg.7e51409687e0d17f1e8f285885545d89.jpg

Edited by Louis D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1