SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

50 minutes ago, elliot said:

I can't find replacement foam for this disaster! I haven't slept in weeks.

EP9KSm5X0AQWi2y.thumb.jpg.361f2c2464001153bfa30641da133454.jpg

Elliot try this as another option from the one Neil stated - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cubed-Foam-Block-445x310x95mm-Insert-For-EN-AC-FG-A022-Flight-Case/392470244531?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is my latest interation of my larger eyepiece case. Unfortunately the ES30mm 82 degree and APM 20mm 100 degree have found new homes, but have been replaced by a Leica ASPH Zoom. The black tubes at the bottom contain GPCs to use with the binoviewers and the extension tubes are used to give higher powers with a Barlow. I have the Baader Mk IVs with Zeiss orthos and then Supercharged TS ones with 32mm Plossls fitted (and a pair of 40mm elsewhere). There is a 40mm Paracor, a 56mm Meade plossl which are handy for low powers in the Mewlon or 8" f8, and finally a Celestron Microguide reticle eyepiece as I fancy doing some lunar crater, double and planetary feature measurements at some point.

20200316_141806.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Stu said:

This is my latest interation of my larger eyepiece case. Unfortunately the ES30mm 82 degree and APM 20mm 100 degree have found new homes, but have been replaced by a Leica ASPH Zoom. The black tubes at the bottom contain GPCs to use with the binoviewers and the extension tubes are used to give higher powers with a Barlow. I have the Baader Mk IVs with Zeiss orthos and then Supercharged TS ones with 32mm Plossls fitted (and a pair of 40mm elsewhere). There is a 40mm Paracor, a 56mm Meade plossl which are handy for low powers in the Mewlon or 8" f8, and finally a Celestron Microguide reticle eyepiece as I fancy doing some lunar crater, double and planetary feature measurements at some point.

20200316_141806.jpg

Two binoviewers, Stu?

Surely you’ll need 4 sets of eyepieces now? 🤔

20 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Two binoviewers, Stu?

Surely you’ll need 4 sets of eyepieces now? 🤔

I use these mainly for solar observing in both white light and Ha with the PST Mod, and yes I do have three pairs of eyepieces to use. My avatar reflects the requirements of the setup..... 🤣🤣

20191230_123935.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Made some additions to my high power eyepiece case.

Bottom row, L to R. Complete set* of Vixen HR's: 1.6, 2.0, 2.4 and 3.4 mm. Then the Televue Nagler Zoom 3 to 6 mm.

IMG_03161.jpg.23ba6b909a9981a75b09983735bb8b83.jpg

*unless Vixen decide to issue some more at longer FL 🙂

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Bottom row, L to R. Complete set* of Vixen HR's: 1.6, 2.0, 2.4 and 3.4 mm. Then the Televue Nagler Zoom 3 to 6 mm.

Might want to add the 4mm Tak TOE.  It's supposed to be phenomenal as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Don’t tempt me Louis. 
That’s how it began with @mikeDnight.

🙂

Relax Jeremy, its a whopping six element. Not really what us planetary eyepiece aficionado's would consider minimal glass planetary eyepiece. That is unless someone wants to buy me one, then it will be the best thing since sliced bread! 😊

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Very nice Jeremy,

I would love such a set and one day probably will, 

Have the Nagler zoom at present, so one part exists in my collection already.

Did I say, very nice Jeremy, oh yes I did, but worth saying twice.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JeremyS said:

If you're looking for suggestions Jeremy, how about a Zeiss Barlow for that 1.6mm? 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

All of my four eyepieces, a barlow lens, some filters in the boxes and a basic laser used for barlowing in order to check primary alignment. A collimation cap.

A small handheld plastic mirror is tucked away snugly right up to the orange case wall. I use it to view the barlow laser target in the focuser.

Also put in a laminated hand written note by the mirror to remember how the primary adjustment screws affect the alignment and other collimation related things I tend to forget.

For sundry bits and pieces and general stuff I have a large plastic box with a sealed lid. Usually have it next to the eyepiece case when observing to have everything in easy reach and in the same place.

I use a 10” f/4.7 dob.

A4B904C6-1CDD-4091-BC77-6FF67312AE5F.jpeg

0643AD21-961F-4F5D-9C1A-813541BBCEA3.jpeg

• Like 6

So, been browsing the 150+ pages of this thread and getting lots of ideas and tips to help me create my first eyepiece and accessory cases!

Cases are from www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk and only cost around £13 and £15 delivered.

Much as I love to see the lenses on their sides in all your cases, I needed to store vertically in order to fit in up to 10 eyepieces plus filters etc. 

I'm just starting out (have a SkyWatcher Heritage 130p) and with a few lockdown-induced ebay bargain sprees have pulled together what I think (hope) is a good little collection of modest but well-respected glass to get me going and experiment with different brands, styles and powers etc. 

5mm TS Planetary HR
6mm Skywatcher Ultra Wide 66°
8mm BST Starguider
12mm BST Explorer (on its way!)
15mm Vixen NPL
20mm Vixen NPL
25mm Orion Sirius Plossl
32mm Meade 4000 Super Plossl
Celestron Ultima SV 2x Barlow
Celestron Variable Polarising Filter
Celestron Moon Filter

I even have space for one more at some point depending on what could best complete the mismatched set lol (I'm mostly interested in lunar observation). 

Pictures of the process below. Following a recommendation on here somewhere I used a sliced deodorant can to neatly (sort of!) cut the holes in the foam. As well as ensuring I had room for my mini hip flask (for a tot of rum to keep me warm), I'm particularly proud of the internal led red light made by repurposing an old folding kindle booklight (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0069W345G/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_k9jOEb0EA1JB4) which now has a nice sweet wrapper filter!

Look forward to seeing what people think... 

pixlr_20200422204408614.jpg

IMG_20200422_200313_20200422204536250.jpg

IMG_20200422_192849.jpg

Edited by c4llum83
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, c4llum83 said:

Following a recommendation on here somewhere I used a sliced deodorant can to neatly (sort of!) cut the holes in the foam.

I didn't even realize aerosol deodorant still existed after it fell out of favor in the 70s and 80s.  It's pretty rare here in the states at maybe 2% to 5% of total shelf space and sales.

I even have space for one more at some point depending on what could best complete the mismatched set lol (I'm mostly interested in lunar observation). 

Don't feel like you have to be a slave to a single case.  I started out that way, but soon realized that as I upgraded, I liked to keep the old eyepieces around for comparison sake and relegated them to a second-string or B-team case.  Eventually, this expanded to a C-team case, an overflow case, a binoviewer case, a travel case, and a couple of cases dedicated to complete mid-range sets.

Much as I love to see the lenses on their sides in all your cases, I needed to store vertically in order to fit in up to 10 eyepieces plus filters etc. 

Good choice, the vast majority of my eyepieces are kept vertically to save space.

I'm particularly proud of the internal led red light made by repurposing an old folding kindle booklight (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0069W345G/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_k9jOEb0EA1JB4) which now has a nice sweet wrapper filter!

I think glowing red cases are so cool looking.  However, I have enough ambient light in my backyard, that I never have trouble picking out eyepieces there.  Perhaps if I ever get my vacation/retirement home in the mountains of southwestern New Mexico, I might have to revisit the whole lighted case issue.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Louis D said:

I didn't even realize aerosol deodorant still existed after it fell out of favor in the 70s and 80s.  It's pretty rare here in the states at maybe 2% to 5% of total shelf space and sales.

Perhaps we don't smell as good 😞