Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

On 09/01/2021 at 01:05, John said:

Here are my two cases - the 1.25 inch set and the 2 inch set. I've edited out the case handles because it's a family forum :wink:

I'm impressed by those who have managed to get down to minimalist collections. I have tried but I'm weak where eyepieces are concerned :undecided:

I have a gap in the top left of the 1.25 inch case as well - that's going to have to be filled with something :icon_scratch:

epscase01Jan21.JPG.d46b01df7a9e928eb32d9b4d66a7930f.JPG

epscase02Jan21.JPG.2ff5af09ce3b307c9609fdb7e8ff9e8e.JPG

Either box as an only set is impressive. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Fair enough... that is a lovely set of eyepieces there and seems you have found your ideal mix 👍

Yes I think so.. it’s got to stop somewhere and it may as well be with this shabby bunch 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dantooine said:

Yes I think so.. it’s got to stop somewhere and it may as well be with this shabby bunch 😉

Totally shabby lot I agree 🤣

I didn’t get a chance last night to test the APM 20 unfortunately, but will do asap. My secret hope is that I remain more than happy with the 70 degree FoV and then my set is XWs and a Delos 🤞

Very glad you have “your” set now... got there in the end... despite our jovial ribbing about eyepiece purchases, I’m looking to settle on a set too and think I’m very close now 😃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HollyHound said:

I didn’t get a chance last night to test the APM 20 unfortunately, but will do asap. My secret hope is that I remain more than happy with the 70 degree FoV and then my set is XWs and a Delos 🤞

Very glad you have “your” set now... got there in the end... despite our jovial ribbing about eyepiece purchases, I’m looking to settle on a set too and think I’m very close now 😃

I was happy with the Delos at 72deg and could have stopped there I suppose. At the time I couldn’t find a 4.5 Delos anywhere so I got a 4.7 ethos.. the rest is history. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HollyHound said:

Even if you settle at 70deg, it’s going to be great having 100deg at 20mm for sure. I tried the nagler last night and the APM is up with it I thought. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

I was happy with the Delos at 72deg and could have stopped there I suppose. At the time I couldn’t find a 4.5 Delos anywhere so I got a 4.7 ethos.. the rest is history. 

Well I think it’s fair to say, that it’s probably been a most pleasant journey 👍

4 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

Even if you settle at 70deg, it’s going to be great having 100deg at 20mm for sure. I tried the nagler last night and the APM is up with it I thought. 

Actually you’re right, I was thinking the same thing. Some nights I do just like to “soak in the stars” and having an ultra wide field would do that 😃

What I want to try and avoid us having a wide and ultra wide complete set... impressive though the sets @John has are.

I think at this level, they are all very decent eyepieces 👍

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

I think at this level, they are all very decent eyepieces 👍

I think that is very true.

I keep thinking about amalgamating my two sets into a single set that will serve all my scopes. I'll take the plunge one day :smiley:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Well I think it’s fair to say, that it’s probably been a most pleasant journey 👍

Pleasant but expensive, however apart from work, bath, eat and sleep I’ve been nowhere and done absolutely nothing.. this is my social life 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dantooine said:

Pleasant but expensive, however apart from work, bath, eat and sleep I’ve been nowhere and done absolutely nothing.. this is my social life 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Likewise... I think that's been part of it, lots of time on my hands to absorb into this hobby... apart from a brief gap of pub dinners in August (perhaps not such a bright idea in hindsight, but there you go) it's been my unwinding from work too... the geese and horses are the closest we get now to a social gathering with others too 🤣🤣

Just now, HollyHound said:

Likewise... I think that's been part of it, lots of time on my hands to absorb into this hobby... apart from a brief gap of pub dinners in August (perhaps not such a bright idea in hindsight, but there you go) it's been my unwinding from work too... the geese and horses are the closest we get now to a social gathering with others too 🤣🤣

Never got to experience the pub dinners but I’ve eaten loads of steak 🥩 

• Like 1

I’m going to have a sensible year with gear and enjoy what I have. Was out for an hour last night with the APM 20 and 13, which really are fine for me, being honest. I do hanker after a grab and go set up though as the dob can be a bit much for an hour really. That probably will be next years quest, a nice wide field frac would be great as an all rounder. Maybe that then would change my EP collection too, hope not..

The double cluster last night did look pretty spectacular though in the dob, between the clouds.

Edited by Stardaze
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

I’m going to have a sensible year with gear and enjoy what I have. Was out for an hour last night with the APM 20 and 13, which really are fine for me, being honest. I do hanker after a grab and go set up though as the dob can be a bit much for an hour really. That probably will be next years quest, a nice wide field frac would be great as an all rounder. Maybe that then would change my EP collection too, hope not..

Those ep’s would be great in a frac and I’d stay with them if you like them.  One question, what is the 13 like in comparison to the 20? I wonder how someone would get on with the APM”s as a full set and nothing else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dantooine said:

Those ep’s would be great in a frac and I’d stay with them if you like them.  One question, what is the 13 like in comparison to the 20? I wonder how someone would get on with the APM”s as a full set and nothing else. 

The 13 is sharper across the frame, but they compliment each other well. I’ve ordered a magnetic knife rack for the dob as the new dew shield tips the balance too much with the 20, the 13 is still ok so the weight is also a consideration. The 9mm seems to be the one that doesn’t get the positive feedback, so glad I picked up an ET8. I’ve added a 2” collar on the bottom of that, like you’ve done too, have you TV caps on the bottom too?

I’m tempted to chop my XW5 and ES6.7 in to help fund a Ethos 6mm. APM 20/13 and the E8/6 is probably all I’d need. Maybe then pick up an E4.7 next year..

Edited by Stardaze
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stardaze said:

The 13 is sharper across the frame, but they compliment each other well. I’ve ordered a magnetic knife rack for the dob as the new dew shield tips the balance too much with the 20, the 13 is still ok so the weight is also a consideration. The 9mm seems to be the one that doesn’t get the positive feedback, so glad I picked up an ET8. I’ve added a 2” collar on the bottom of that, like you’ve done too, have you TV caps on the bottom too?

I’m tempted to chop my XW5 and ES6.7 in to help fund a Ethos 6mm. APM 20/13 and the E8/6 is probably all I’d need. Maybe then pick up an E4.7 next year..

The 8 ethos is a cracker. It gives me 89x on my 4 inch and 125x on my 8 inch. Putting the barrel on makes it much closer to parfocal with the others. I’m less likely to drop it too. I don’t know how long your telescope is but if I wasn’t extravagant with my buying I could have probably gone straight from the 8E to the 4.7E. Something to think about. Wonder what the APM 5 is like comparison to the 4.7E?

Edited by Dantooine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dantooine said:

The 8 ethos is a cracker. It gives me 89x on my 4 inch and 125x on my 8 inch. Putting the barrel on makes it much closer to parfocal with the others. I’m less likely to drop it too. I don’t know how long your telescope is but if I wasn’t extravagant with my buying I could have probably gone straight from the 8E to the 4.7E. Something to think about. Wonder what the APM 5 is like comparison to the 4.7E?

The dob (10”) is 1254mm so that definitely has an effect on choice. I love the Ethos 8 too, but I hear the 6 is even better. Not read much about the APM 5 or 3.5 so no idea how strong they are. A 2” EP at 5 or 6 would be best for me I think, no rush though.

Edited by Stardaze
  • Like 1

BTW there is no point in a short focal length eyepiece being 2” as the field stop in the eyepiece is smaller than 1.25” .The Ethos eyepieces of 13mm and shorter are all 1.25” but have a 2” removable collar which may be convenient in some cases but not really necessary. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, johninderby said:

BTW there is no point in a short focal length eyepiece being 2” as the field stop in the eyepiece is smaller than 1.25” .The Ethos eyepieces of 13mm and shorter are all 1.25” but have a 2” removable collar which may be convenient in some cases but not really necessary. 

Hi John, I do realise this but it’s more a convenience element that’s all. Which in itself, isn’t enough to swap out. I’ll see how it works out. I really like the XW 5 but do miss the extra FOV a little.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

You are correct John,  they are 1.25” eyepieces and with 100 degrees unfortunately comes weight.  I don’t think I would want to have my 13E hanging on with just the short length of 1.25” barrel. Tried it once and didn’t like it at all.
Probably the 8 & 6 would be fine though. I find comfort with the grip the 2” barrel has.  IMO heavy expensive eyepiece need to be secured as best they can. 

• Like 1