Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

The NT4 17mm is very sharp, but has field curvature and some mild SAEP (kidney-beaning) when you press in enough to see the field stop.  It's hefty (heaviest of all the NT4s), but relatively compact.

The ES-92 17mm is better in every way except size and weight.  It has a wider AFOV, no field curvature, no edge of field astigmatism, no SAEP, and better eye relief for eyeglass wearers.

Below is a comparison image showing the view through several of my eyepieces in this size range.

1144537398_16.7mm-17mm.thumb.JPG.99fc052d434a2db183ca8a1657863a5a.JPG603176621_16.7mm-17mmAFOV.thumb.jpg.7e51409687e0d17f1e8f285885545d89.jpg

Thanks Louis that’s really interesting, both the 17 and 12 ES appeal.

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/01/2020 at 12:46, Barry-W-Fenner said:

An updated pic! The set is complete, Unless of course my 200p plays nicely with the 3.2mm Eye piece? I dont know if it will though.

Next is a nice 2" wide FOV 32mm to 40mm eye piece as recommended by the pros 🙂

Baz

DSC_0436.JPG

Hi Baz, what are the dimensions of this case?  Looks perfect for what I need. 

cheers

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Got mine today. 😀 I don't think it will take too many hard knocks but, at £17.99 inc. post one cannot complain! 😉

Looks really good and should keep all those eyepieces nice and safe.

I spy a full set of Nirvana ES (4mm, 7mm and 16mm) in there 😁

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Looks really good and should keep all those eyepieces nice and safe.

I spy a full set of Nirvana ES (4mm, 7mm and 16mm) in there 😁

Indeed there is (ta. 😉 ) There's room for one or two more, maybe a 5mm. The old case has been repurposed to hold 2x rdf, some tools and a laser collimator.

• Thanks 1

I'd love to know how you all get the foam cut so neatly and flat in the bottom of your 'holes'.  I couldn't work out how to achieve that and dug the snips in and cut the upright bits of foam at an angle, but it makes the case look less than tidy

A very sharp clean long-bladed knife helps to make a neat cut, plain or serrated works ok, just work slowly making the cuts. When I did my case I cheated and used layers of foam so the bottom/lower layer didn't get cut, only needed to cut the holes in the upper layers to set in the eyepiece or other component :) That said the EP's are in pre-cut foam in the case I'm using now as the larger case I got  wasn't foam filled already, hence layers of foam to build the required padded containment. Leaves me lots of space for the controllers etc and I could always switch the EP's from laying on their side to being vertical into the foam when I need more room.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2020 at 20:16, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Got mine today. 😀 I don't think it will take too many hard knocks but, at £17.99 inc. post one cannot complain! 😉

IMG_20200630_201340638~2.jpg

Morning all.

glad you are all happy with the cases, they all look very smart and look to be  housing some nice  glass.

Apologies I should have mentioned that it's not the most rugged of cases and the price reflects that. Mine is  still going strong, admittedly it doesnt have the hardest life, just out of the cupboard and into the garden but it functions very well. All of my eye pieces sit snug and are easily accessible.

Hope the case serves well.

I have noticed an increase in the price now, most likely due to the spike in sales...

Cheers

Baz

Edited by Barry-W-Fenner
  • Like 3

Great set Jeremy :thumbright:

I've ended up with a 2 inch case and a 1.25 inch case as well. Bit extravagant I suppose but they are all absolutely essential tools of course :angel12:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, John said:

Great set Jeremy :thumbright:

I've ended up with a 2 inch case and a 1.25 inch case as well. Bit extravagant I suppose but they are all absolutely essential tools of course :angel12:

Not extravagant, John. Just very sensible 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Got all my 1.25-inch green & blacks into my travel eyepiece case. The two 2-inch eyepieces are of course too fat, so will have to go a separate case for my 2-inch eyepieces.

IMG_1920.jpg.9b8becf6c604420cb1f9d7826b00ba4d.jpg

I have asked before Jeremy, sorry, I have slept.
But who is that case made by and what model please 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Got all my 1.25-inch green & blacks into my travel eyepiece case. The two 2-inch eyepieces are of course too fat, so will have to go a separate case for my 2-inch eyepieces.

IMG_1920.jpg.9b8becf6c604420cb1f9d7826b00ba4d.jpg

Beautiful set Jeremy, I would love to try some serious quality eye pieces like these in my 12" dob.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Hello Alan. It’s a Camkix carrying case, X-large. Available from amazon. I’ve got 3 and they are very good for slimmer eyepieces. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Alan White said:

Just searched my Amazon order history, Alan. This the model. I see it's now £24.99, whereas 12 months ago it was £5 cheaper.

• Thanks 1

My maplin case is starting to fill up, even though it's not half as neat or as impressive as most on here. Celestron xcel lx x2 barlow, 8mm bst, 12mm bst, 30mm vixen npl, telrad, cheshire eyepiece and a red light torch (and the stock skywatcher 10 and 25mm which I'm regretting cutting a hole for😏). 

Still room for something in the 15-18mm range, and maybe a wide angle 2inch eyepiece when finances allow.

IMG_20200715_194036.jpg

• Like 3

On 15/07/2020 at 14:09, Daf1983 said:

My maplin case is starting to fill up, even though it's not half as neat or as impressive as most on here. Celestron xcel lx x2 barlow, 8mm bst, 12mm bst, 30mm vixen npl, telrad, cheshire eyepiece and a red light torch (and the stock skywatcher 10 and 25mm which I'm regretting cutting a hole for😏). 

Still room for something in the 15-18mm range, and maybe a wide angle 2inch eyepiece when finances allow.

IMG_20200715_194036.jpg

I keep my non-eyepiece accessories in a toolbox.  I keep my Telrads in a relatively flat cardboard box with closed cell foam wrapped around each for protection.  It frees up a lot of space in the eyepiece case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

family portrait just for @JeremyS;)

hoping the scurvy and rickets will pass now i can abandon the lentil and 99p lidl pizza diet i’ve been on for the past several months saving to complete the set ;) Such extravagance! But they are a joy to use and that’s what matters :)

Mark

ps noticed I need to recharge the desiccant urgently!

6C8AF523-22A8-4E27-B735-937341C1489C.jpeg

Edited by markse68
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, markse68 said:

family portrait just for @JeremyS;)

hoping the scurvy and rickets will pass now i can abandon the lentil and 99p lidl pizza diet i’ve been on for the past several months saving to complete the set ;) Such extravagance! But they are a joy to use and that’s what matters :)

Mark

Looks great Mark.

Impressive case too! Is that a custom job on the insert that the eyepieces fit into?

• Thanks 1