SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I've been Microsofted....

Stub Mandrel

Just went out to check on my rig, which I left doing two hours on the Garnet Star and Elephant's Trunk.

My laptop was on the sign on screen --- that lovely Bill gates has decided he knows best when to reset my computer with the new W10 update.

One day they will auto-reset a computer and kill someone, if they haven't already.

Luckily it seems I may not have lost too many subs, but I won't know for sure until tomorrow.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Is that because you can't completely disable updates with W10?

Sounds like a case for firewalling it off from the internet during imaging sessions.

James

Probably a good idea - I wonder if flight mode will disable bluetooth?

P.S. I didn't type 'Microsofted' the forum Bowdlerised it!

Solution is simple. There is an option to select what time of day a restart can occur to finishing installing updates.

Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update . 

Select Schedule the restart and choose a time that's convenient for you. Note: You can set active hours to make sure automatic restarts for updates only happen when you're not using your PC.

8 hours ago, johninderby said:

Solution is simple. There is an option to select what time of day a restart can occur to finishing installing updates.

Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update . 

Select Schedule the restart and choose a time that's convenient for you. Note: You can set active hours to make sure automatic restarts for updates only happen when you're not using your PC.

Oh yes, but you need to know the restart is coming... I only got the message after I restarted after the update!

It's also hard as it's machine I use occasionally and not at regular hours (meetings in the day, astronomy at night).

Microsoft should never process the update without you signing it off first.

3 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

You need to set your active hours before starting. You'll find it under 'Settings' > 'Update and Security'.

As I said above, I can't set active hours that suit both my work and my astronomy, as you only have 6 to play with. Otherwise I would set it to 5-7am.

Look on the bright side at least it's still working, I let it do an update tother night and the sound stopped working, got lot's of messages that I was accessing sensitive information and needed to enter my password and click on this and that to repair stuff, it may just be a coincidence but Y'Tube videos stopped loading properly afterwards and it seems to be caching them somewhere, if I'm watching one and quit YT when I restart YT the video is still running.

Dave

14 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Probably a good idea - I wonder if flight mode will disable bluetooth?

P.S. I didn't type 'Microsofted' the forum Bowdlerised it!

Flight mode should disable both wifi and bluetooth. It is possible to turn either off independently too, although this means digging around a bit.

From the Win10 notifications icon on the task bar, there are a bunch of buttons displayed. Bluetooth can be turned on and off easily there. Turning off the wifi card is less easy. For that you need to click the network button there, then just after the list of available networks there is a link that says Network & Internet settings. Clicking on that will take you to a settings screen, and then under Wifi there is a switch to turn it on and off.

Hopefully one of those will stop unplanned interuptions to your imaging runs :)

14 hours ago, johninderby said:

Tried that many times but if you have the pc turned off during the times you've said it can update then it updates when you next turn on regardless!

Steve

Never had the problem myself after setting reasonable "active hours". Another thing to try if you are doing any critical tasks is to switch to "metered connection", this still lets you do most stuff like browsing but stops/reduces any large downloads or updates.

Alan

8 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Look on the bright side at least it's still working, I let it do an update tother night and the sound stopped working, got lot's of messages that I was accessing sensitive information and needed to enter my password and click on this and that to repair stuff, it may just be a coincidence but Y'Tube videos stopped loading properly afterwards and it seems to be caching them somewhere, if I'm watching one and quit YT when I restart YT the video is still running.

Dave

Funny you say that - the volume control on my desktop has got suck at 44% and I can no longer open the volume slider or mute the speaker.

I've sent microsoft feedback but I suspect it's like dropping stones down a well.

6 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

the volume control on my desktop has got suck at 44% and I can no longer open the volume slider or mute the speaker.

Mine came up with a message about corrupted files and managed to fix itself.

Dave

On the update subject I just disconnect from the internet.

I upgraded to win10 pro to get control over updates, works so far and cost about £20 through softwaregeeks. All works well so far and have done upgrades on 5 rigs. Think MS haven't bothered taking them on due to fear of creating a test case. 

32 minutes ago, JonC said:

I upgraded to win10 pro to get control over updates, works so far and cost about £20 through softwaregeeks. All works well so far and have done upgrades on 5 rigs. Think MS haven't bothered taking them on due to fear of creating a test case. 

My windows 10 is telling me that its £119 for an upgrade to pro?

Alan

Just now, JamesF said:

I was trying to avoid opening that particular catering size can of worms :)

James

I fear no worms :) whatever size can they come in!

Seriously though, I assume the machine came with W10 Neil, because otherwise you'd have downgraded back to 7 long ago yes?

9 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I've sent microsoft feedback but I suspect it's like dropping stones down a well.

Nah ... they would eventually land somewhere ... I suspect that so-called "feedback" links at MS (and similar companies ["part of the body attached to thing that some people still read" 8 letters]) just disappear into an infinitely expanding cyber-void and are never seen again ...

Archived