Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I've been Microsofted....

Stub Mandrel

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

So are you now getting all your images saved on that laptop with no problems?

No, that was manually installing linux... ?

The volume control is back, I followed advice to disable/enable the sound card then it told me to restart.

I use softwaregeeks a lot for work.  

We need w7 32bit for our diagnostic utils, and the lads just need a basic office for word excel n outlook - nothing fancy so office2010 is overkill     

Never had a problem with them/the licensing even on the rare occasiin in a reinstall where ive rung up MS.  

Whilst tinkering with Windows update settings its also worth disabling the feature that uses your bandwidth to upload updates to other Windows 10 users. Spent ages trying to find out why my internet was slow one night and that turned out to be the cause.

12 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

that will only work if your pc is a domain member.... 

Mine all are, & so I only need to configure things once.

I can edit my local group policy but maybe depends on which version of windows 10 you have. I have windows 10 Pro and can disable updates. Maybe not available on home version

9 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Humble Home edition.

neil you could try but may not work

Press Windows key + R
Type: services.msc
Hit Enter

Scroll down to Windows Update
Select it then right click it
Click Properties
Under the General tab, choose Startup type to DIsabled
Click disabled
Click Apply then OK

2 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

that will only work if your pc is a domain member.... 

Mine all are, & so I only need to configure things once.

No - group policy is editable even if not a domain member (my laptop is not a domain member and yet I can do this). It's the local policy that's being set, not the domain policy.

If you use Home, then if the defer options, active hours and  setting the network connection as metered aren't sufficient, you could disable the windows update service, but (!) unless the PC is air gapped, you should go and install the updates regularly by hand (enabling the service, running updates, etc).

1 hour ago, fozzybear said:

neil you could try but may not work

Press Windows key + R
Type: services.msc
Hit Enter

Scroll down to Windows Update
Select it then right click it
Click Properties
Under the General tab, choose Startup type to DIsabled
Click disabled
Click Apply then OK

Not as simple as that - my computers are used for work and I need them to be up to date for data security, and being self-employed I can't pretend I din't understand the rules... sadly that has to come before convenience for AP. I just have to remember to manually update ahead of imaging sessions!

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Not as simple as that - my computers are used for work and I need them to be up to date for data security, and being self-employed I can't pretend I din't understand the rules... sadly that has to come before convenience for AP. I just have to remember to manually update ahead of imaging sessions!

Would be tempted to upgrade to pro if you can (business deductable expense!) - you also get RDP, Bitlocker, Hyper-V and Offline File support (handy for laptops that use network based files). Some of those might be useful?

11 hours ago, coatesg said:

Would be tempted to upgrade to pro if you can (business deductable expense!) - you also get RDP, Bitlocker, Hyper-V and Offline File support (handy for laptops that use network based files). Some of those might be useful?

Not really ?

59 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Not really ?

Fair enough - then it's the manual workrounds then with turning off the service. Though Bitlocker does do an enormous amount for data security if that is a concern in work life - whole disc encryption in case it ever gets nicked.

3 minutes ago, coatesg said:

Fair enough - then it's the manual workrounds then with turning off the service. Though Bitlocker does do an enormous amount for data security if that is a concern in work life - whole disc encryption in case it ever gets nicked.

I don't let sensitive data get onto the laptop, I'm very aware it could get nicked. I just don't want it to be a vulnerability for the home network.

What scares the hell out of me are websites/apps that demand access to my contacts like LinkedIn or what'sapp. I suspect millions (billions) of people have shared client contacts with third parties that way.

Archived