Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep24_banner.thumb.jpg.56e65b9c9549c15ed3f06e146fc5f5f1.jpg

alexbb

Comet 21P/Giacobini–Zinner meets M37 at perihelion

Superb image Alex, one of the best images I've seen of this comet, admire your perseverance doing LRGB of a comet, I gave up long ago and stick to OSC :grin:

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful image - what a great composition! Like this a lot.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, all, very much!

37 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

admire your perseverance doing LRGB of a comet

It's my first time trying this, perhaps I could have done better, but I hope I will have more opportunities in the future. It took me over 6h to create comet-less images, subtract them from the individual subs, create star-less images and combining all.

• Like 1

That's a thing of beauty made all the better because it'll be seen like that again. Congratulations, you must be very proud.

• Thanks 1

Lovely image Alex

I just missed seeing this. I got up for a bathroom visit that night and saw that the sky was unexpectedly beautifully dark and clear. Got dressed and set things up, found the comet on sky Safari, just about to slew to it and a blanket of cloud swept rapidly across the whole sky! Couldn’t believe it. I waited to see if it would go as quickly as it came but no luck. Ah well........

• Sad 1

Beautiful image, makes me less sad that I didn't get to see it due to clouds & light pollution ?

• Thanks 1

Thanks, unfortunately, the light pollution hides a lot from here too. I could only get the brightest part of the tail in half of hour of luminance. I used the RGB for synthetic luminance, combined equally with the real luminance though, maybe for a small improvement.

Well, sometimes you have to do with what you have. This event was only once so quite happy with what I got. Most of the times I have to expose 20-40h for what others get in 1-5h under better skies. Thinking about that 8" RASA now...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HunterHarling said:

Great. How did the comet not move in your image? I tried imaging it but it moved way to much!

Thanks! It moved a lot, I should upload an animation later.

I will echo all the other reply’s .. absolutely amazing .. I can only dream of doing this as I’m a total beginner  when it comes to photography. But this has inspired me so much. Brilliant ! 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 1

On 16/09/2018 at 00:46, Eastman said:

Magnificent picture.

15 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

I will echo all the other reply’s .. absolutely amazing .. I can only dream of doing this as I’m a total beginner  when it comes to photography. But this has inspired me so much. Brilliant ! 

Thank you, both, very much!