Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is the Canon 1300D or 600D a good starting camera for Astrophotography?

Hey guys! I'm looking to get into astrophotography and have been researching different camera models lately to get started. My eyes landed on the Canon 1300D DSLR to start with (or Canon 600D) , but I'm wondering if there are any better cameras between the price range of $300 - $800 (second hand is fine too) that you guys know of? Any good budget lenses would be appreciated too. I'm not using a telescope at the moment.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 600D that got advised here

17 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

As I always do, I'd recommend the canon 600d for its swivel screen which makes focusing a whole lot easier.

A samyang 135mm also come highly recommended 

Thank you so much! I eventually wanna try the Rokinon F/2.8 lens, but my knowledge about lenses that are appropriate for astrophotography is very limited unfortunately, but I'm very willing to learn!

28 minutes ago, valleyman said:

Looking at 2nd hand Cameras try MPB.com.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-canon-digital-slr-cameras/

They have a good range of Cameras within your price range.

They will ship to Europe.

Pat

Thank you for the link! I'll definitely give it a look.

30 minutes ago, Louis D said:

You might also check the classifieds for an astro modified model with a low shutter count that has the IR filter swapped out to allow it to be much more sensitive to deep red emission lines.

Do you happen to know any places where those types of astro modified cameras might be wandering about? Preferably shipping to Europe or in Europe it self. I've tried to look at 2nd hand sites here for those but alas to no avail

Either of the two cameras will deliver great images.. 600D would most likley be more comfortable to use with the movable LCD but as far as image quality is concerned, both will perform equally as good.

1 hour ago, DanielRDB said:

Do you happen to know any places where those types of astro modified cameras might be wandering about? Preferably shipping to Europe or in Europe it self. I've tried to look at 2nd hand sites here for those but alas to no avail

I would periodically check the For Sale / Swap forum here on SGL and on UK Astronomy Buy & Sell and look for similar classifieds sections on continental Europe astro forums.  In the US, there's Astromart and Cloudy Nights classifieds, though US sellers rarely ship outside the US.

Archived