Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Why are the planets so low in the sky?

DRT

I'm becoming very frustrated by how low the planets are in the sky at the moment. I know that we go through phases where the Earth's wobbly rotation results in our view of the Ecliptic changing over time but it does seem to be in a particularly bad spot at the moment.

Does anyone know when we will come out of this and Mars, Saturn and few other things will appear above my neighbour's roof once again? :rolleyes2: 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mars Jupiter and Saturn are all at a point where the ecliptic is below the celestial equator which makes them lower in the sky, I.e. in the summer night time constellations of Libra, Sagitarius, and Capricorn.

When the sun is in these constellations it is also low in the sky, and it is winter time me to us, but the sun cycles through this position once a year whereas the outer planets move through it more slowly.

When the outer planets get back around to Taurus where the ecliptic is well above the celestial equator they will be much higher in the sky and visible in the night in winter.

The problem is, if you use say Aldebaran as a reference for when optimum high altitude winter planetary observing is on, Mars won't make it to passing Aldebaran until 2019, Jupiter around 2024, and Saturn 2031.

When the sun is passing Taurus it is also high in the sky as it is summer time to us, in fact it just passed Aldebaran a week or two ago.

This post might depress you Derek but gives some info about when they might improve. It doesn’t make great reading unfortunately.

Planetary altitude in degrees for each opposition        

Year     Saturn   Mars
2016    18          17
2017    16          Superior Conjunction
2018    16          13
2019    16          Superior Conjunction
2020    18          44
2021    20          Superior Conjunction
2022    23          63
2023    26          Superior Conjunction
2024    31          64
2025    35    
2026    40          Superior Conjunction
2027    45          54
2028    50          Superior Conjunction
2029    54          39
2030    57          Superior Conjunction
2031    60          23

Trouble is although the Ecliptic gets higher it's not when the big 3 Planets are visible so they set before the Earth rotates / tilts enough to raise the ecliptic so it's a few years before they climb up in the UK, better for our members in other parts of the world though :)

Dave

14 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Trouble is although the Ecliptic gets higher it's not when the big 3 Planets are visible so they set before the Earth rotates / tilts enough to raise the ecliptic so it's a few years before they climb up in the UK, better for our members in other parts of the world though :)

Dave

Jolly good!

?lly

I can recall an experienced member of this forum saying a couple of years back that he was packing in planetary observing for a few years because of the unfavourable positioning of these targets from the UK.

Despite this with some planning and regular observing I have still had some very pleasing planetary viewing over the past 24 months or so. I think Mars will be challenging unless I'm able to travel south during the opposition period though.

Nibiru has been very dissapointing - not a sign of it over the past couple of years :dontknow:

14 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Mars and Jupiter should be high enough at this time of night (11pm) if you have a good horizon view.

You'll struggle to get a decent view of Mars at the moment....below the horizon!

I've seen Jupiter, not sure about Venus (but that's too boring) but no others recently.  Jupiter was quite low but I do have good views to the south.

2 hours ago, Gina said:

I've seen Jupiter, not sure about Venus (but that's too boring) but no others recently.  Jupiter was quite low but I do have good views to the south.

Jupiter and Venus have been making a beautiful sight, almost appearing to oppose each other in the South and Western skies recently.

Venus can be very lovely when it shows a crescent, like a mini moon.

5B781DB3-3A1A-456D-986A-D6E4BC050107.jpeg

6 hours ago, John said:

Nibiru has been very dissapointing - not a sign of it over the past couple of years 

I thought it came and went... hmm ... I was looking forward to meeting the Annunaki reptilians....

6 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Except those further north... (although the A.I. down under will get good views @MarsG76 ;)) :D 

John

Yeah the planets are at optimal viewing positions, just last night and the night before I was observing Mars, Jupiter and Saturn when they were overhead... the amount of detail in all 3 was amazing... 

We're enjoying the optimal views now but there will come a time when the tables will turn.

6 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Except those further north... (although the A.I. down under will get good views @MarsG76 ;)) :D 

John

I wouldn't feel too bad about Mars... sure its near zenith and the largest scale/closest approach it was since 2003 and will be for 60 years... but it looks like there is a planet wide dust storm brewing... so it doesn't seem like it'll be anything more than a big orange fuzz ball, this is no grounds for any jealousy. Might still be a disappointment.

After the race to get three imaging rigs running we were too late for Jupiter last night but Saturn was great and, though low, Mars showed its polar regions and some clear dark markings. Come to think of it, some of my best planetary views have been had at remarkably low elevations. We all know the theory but it would be a mistake not to try for the planets when still low.

Olly

11 hours ago, Gina said:

I've seen Jupiter, not sure about Venus (but that's too boring). 

...apart from Sir PM's rapid fire delivery of its charms as a destination, that is. 'If you went to Venus you'd be simultaneously burned, poisoned, crushed and corroded.'

Olly

12 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

...apart from Sir PM's rapid fire delivery of its charms as a destination, that is. 'If you went to Venus you'd be simultaneously burned, poisoned, crushed and corroded.'

Olly

I guess that's why he never worked for Expedia!

1 hour ago, Ags said:

It is very simple: the planets at opposition are opposite the sun in the sky. So in May-August the sun is high and the planets are low.

It’s certainly true that the oppositions which occur in the winter months are better. Dec 2031 for Saturn should be amazing (if we are spared..... ;) )

I presume the planet’s position on its orbit relative to the earth determines when it comes to opposition each year or two, and we are just in a lean period at the moment because the oppositions are happening in the Summer I guess? I’m sure it’s a lot more complex than that though!!

2 minutes ago, Gina said:

Hmm...  I suppose it's possible that I might make it to 91 but in what condition, who knows...

Gina, I’m sure you will, and I suspect SGL members may help get you out to a scope to make the most of it :) 

Jupiter isn't too bad for observing at the moment....just recently discovered, after moving into our newly converted attic....that I can comfortably observe Jupiter through my binoculars, while tucked up in bed....middle-aged heaven....

Archived