Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Why are the planets so low in the sky?

DRT

I have not had a decent view of Jupiter let alone Saturn and Mars from home this year. Not only are they very low in the sky but they are above neighbours roofs. That’s why I had a trip to Astrofarm in France in early May. 10 degrees higher and no houses any where near . Next year I will have to go a bit further South. Tenerife is looking good.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 09/06/2018 at 21:15, John said:

I can recall an experienced member of this forum saying a couple of years back that he was packing in planetary observing for a few years because of the unfavourable positioning of these targets from the UK.

Despite this with some planning and regular observing I have still had some very pleasing planetary viewing over the past 24 months or so. I think Mars will be challenging unless I'm able to travel south during the opposition period though.

Nibiru has been very dissapointing - not a sign of it over the past couple of years :dontknow:

Wasn’t that @ollypenrice? I remember reading that the day after I bought my Mak ☹️ Just turned it into a decorative planter in the end...

31 minutes ago, Mr niall said:

Wasn’t that @ollypenrice? I remember reading that the day after I bought my Mak ☹️ Just turned it into a decorative planter in the end...

Doesn't sound like me and I don't live in the UK! I've never been particularly planetary, though I might have commented to the effect that, with the planets low, choice of scope might be affected.

Olly

41 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Doesn't sound like me and I don't live in the UK! I've never been particularly planetary, though I might have commented to the effect that, with the planets low, choice of scope might be affected.

Olly

Oh well maybe not then - apologies!

2 hours ago, Mr niall said:

I remember reading that the day after I bought my Mak ☹️ Just turned it into a decorative planter in the end...

Did you really? ? 

Well I'm glad I rescued the f8.8 before it was turned into a stake to support the new pear tree. :D 

John

5 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Did you really? ? 

Well I'm glad I rescued the f8.8 before it was turned into a stake to support the new pear tree. :D 

John

Yeah I’m fickle like that. Bought a 14” Dob but decided I couldn’t be bothered with collimating so it’s a charming adventure tube for the rabbits now, just use the primary as a shaving mirror ?

(for legal reasons that isn’t true)

although - funny you mention pear trees, I’ve got one on the allotment. It’s  been in for 5 years and never really done anything - loads of flowers but never any pears. My neighbour and I were debating what to do with it this very weekend... (we decided to save it and buy another couple of trees - so I could have done with some stakes... and stakes with gold trim and 1:10 focusser are the best I hear... although I might get an Altair starwave 102 Classic, they’re really long, perfect for support in strong winds ?)

Guest chaz2b

Think I’ll start an Astrodust cleaning service, could make a mint and put it towards a trip to climates with better views.?

chaz

On 10/06/2018 at 11:07, ollypenrice said:

...apart from Sir PM's rapid fire delivery of its charms as a destination, that is. 'If you went to Venus you'd be simultaneously burned, poisoned, crushed and corroded.'

Olly

Very similar to what once happened to me at a volatile building design meeting in Wakefield.?

Archived