Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

rECENT jOVES...

Kokatha man

Hi SGL'ers - I've only dropped in for a few fleeting replies over the last month or two...been busy with a lot of stuff, not all astro & not all of that planetary imaging! ;)

Nonetheless we've captured a few images whenever the clouds or seeing has conspired to let us - the relatively high elevations in Southern Oz for the planets has been influenced by rotten seeing & more often cloudy weather - a bit bizarre seeing that it has only been in the last week that drought-like conditions have started to break!

First up a link to the animation over about 1.5 hours leading up to opposition...captures finishing about 9 hours before precise opposition UT.

On the page I link to you can click on the rotating image to see it at slightly larger scale (or use your screenbrowser magnifier to increase the scale further if you wish) but also below that animation a WJ animation that is made in WJ by wrapping a cylindrical projection map around a "virtual globe." (also generated in WJ & shown above the WJ animation & below the "classic" animation)

As my text says I'm not a great fan of these WJ animations but a lot of people are...& as I state they are a heck of a lot easier to create! :lol:

See here:  http://momilika.net/WebPages/Jupiter2018Pics.htm 

I've been tardy even on my website with 2018 Jupiter images & will get Pat to upload them as soon as I get off my backside & send her the images from this year so far..! :)

Here are a couple of "stills" also from various dates including that night...a couple are multiple images from different nights so please excuse the mix-ups...it's a tad confusing for me also! :lol:

j2018-04-29to0508_14-29to15-23_rgb_dpmTILT.png

j2018-05-08_14-48_rgb_dpm.png

j2018-05-04_14-23_rgb_dpm.png

j2018-04-29_14-29_rgb_dpm.png

Hi fellas, thanks for the responses - appreciated! :)

Angie, here's what you see when you use your screen-browser's magnifier to pump the image up to 400%...I've just taken a screen-shot for you..! ;)

What you are seeing isn't a "double image" but simply Io - this moon possesses darker/lower albedo at its' poles & there is a darker "filament" inter-connecting these poles...a commonly picked up aspect of Io's surface & the effect is to make Io appear egg-shaped or as if it has some sort of "doublet" appearance - against the brighter background of Jove's surface when in transit these aspects are exacerbated...our website has several examples of this in the Jupiter sections with Io as well as a graphic explanation of a brighter background's influence on Ganymede during transit in both an animation & "graphic display" using a tonal chart. :)

If I was motivated to create a "special display image" for the website I'd probably select Io itself in CS4 & increase the sharpening & contrast a tad to "pull the moon off of Jove's surface" as per the quick play in the 2nd image here... :)

ScreenHunter_312 May. 23 10.05.jpg

IoExample.png

Fantastic images, almost unbelievable that these can now be taken with so called "amateur equipment", albeit in the hands of a very professional imager under clear skies. Way better than the early black and white photo's produced by the giant 200 inch  reflector on Mount Palomar in the last century, sounds a long time ago now, but alas, I remember it all too well.    Chris Bradley.

Ha-ha, thanks Chris...I remember such photos well also! ;)

As a young fella in the 1950's it was the images of the planets that fired my imagination...not realising that a lot of them I looked at in books were "touched up" quite often for presentation.

I know my fascination back then was the catalyst for my immersion in this activity as I neared retirement quite some time back! ;) 

Archived