NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from sunny Wales!

That Welsh Guy

Hi everyone,

I  took an interest in Astronomy quite a few years back (12-14 maybe) after attending AstroFest in London. It was absolutely fantastic and very exhilarating! After attending I rushed into buying my first telescope and to be honest, didn't make the most out of it as I didn't really know what I was doing. Obviously, the moon is one of the easiest but fascinating things to observe, but I viewed Jupiter, Saturn and countless globular clusters, it was mind boggling when reading up on the distances involved.

Anyway, I recently have my interest sparked again and would like to get back into it. I have sold my telescope, but still have my trusty 9x63 set on binoculars, which I intend sticking with for the foreseeable future. 

I look forward to getting to know you all!

All the best,

T.W.G

Hi, TWG, & welcome to SGL.

Your story is not an unusual one - many stores are only interested in the "fast buck" with no interest in after-sales help, but if/when you decide to move back into the telescope world, there are some good guys out there - Rother Valley Optics, Modern Astronomy & (of course) our sponsor, to name a few with whom I have had recent dealings. You will also be able to get plenty of guidance from the membership here.

In the meantime, 9x63 bins will give you some great views, combined with a quick set up time and ease of getting them to a "dark site" ... if you can find such an animal in this day and age.

Archived