Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW! Sky-Watcher EvoGuide 50mm ED GuideScope

FLO

On 21/02/2018 at 23:24, LightBucket said:

Do people really get away with these prices, just because stock is low....  check out the name of the store too..... unbelievable...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sky-Watcher-EvoGuide-50ED-50mm-ED-Guidescope/142690358857?epid=6014815914&hash=item2139021649:g:LMcAAOSwXtNahJgJ

EBay is rubbish now, I never find anything on there cheaper than in shops

I find eBay is great for mass produced, inexpensive bits and bobs, especially things like little electronic modules or packets of 3D printer bits for 99p + a couple of weeks wait.

Sometimes I will pay the extra pound or so for the convenience of not having to set up yet another account to buy something. I did that to but some cheap 1.25" filters.

Sometimes I find I've used the same (professional) seller a few times, so I search out their website and but direct - this goes for some metal suppliers for example.

For anything over a few tens of pounds (e.g. scopes and decent accessories) the 'proper' shops are cheaper and you get more confidence in warranties and customer service.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one of these. My first guide scope, and will be my last as well. What a product !!!! I am a newbie to imaging so couldn't make my mind up which way to go. Saw this and jumped at it. I have a GPCam, ASI224mc and a cheap 1.3mp camera off ebay. All come to focus very easily. The unit is rugged, very adjustable and really looks the part. Al in all very satisfied.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/04/2018 at 14:47, FLO said:

We will check ETA when we/they reopen Tuesday ?

Currently it looks like it'll arrive around the end of this month. Will check again in a few days. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• 2 weeks later...

Do not forget to check with which diagonals + eyepiece those finders are compatible!

I suspect a prism diagonal (= shorter focus path than a mirror one), even a cheap Celestron one, could work.

I would check a 25mm Plossl and also 16/20/24mm ES 68° as they are a good fit to that finder and are quite common eyepieces.

Edited by Rick_It

• 3 weeks later...

Really lovely little telescope. Super bright images.  I've been doing some preliminary testing though a day time Moon would have helped.

15255437562021.jpg.3f76b3220ecf48bb98a1b8cfcde1df81.jpg

I have three diagonals. An Orion erect image, an unknown star diagonal and a Williams Optics Dielectric. 25mm standard plossel, 10mm standard and Vixen 30mm NPL

Measurements are all approximate as I didn't use a micrometer.

Removing the rear section which measures 39mm. The focuser fully wound out gives approximately 20mm

All testing with default position of focuser fully wound in.

No rear section:

EID - like watching an ant brush his teeth on a blade of grass under your feet.

Unknown - hedge 30 feet

WO - nada nothing

Rear section:

Attached the rear section but no diagonal, the best arrangement was the Vixen 30mm NPL with the eyepiece held just almost touching the edge of the rear section. This meant an additional 22mm was being used (remember no Moon so true infinity might have needed less). The standard 25mm gave nada.

My rough calculation is a diagonal would need to add no more than 60mm max even that might be too much. That's also with assuming the focuser is fully wound in!

So until I can see the Moon it might even be a shorter overall distance then the crude 61mm calculated so far. Though this means to use an eyepiece I'll need to find something to give an extra 15mm or so of length before the eyepiece when using just the rear section. Really need the Moon to test distances on so all is subjective so far.

So who knows of a very short length diagonal?

Edited by happy-kat
Error in my addition 61 not 51

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 19:30, thomasv said:

Is this a joke? Anyone willing to try, you'd be saving £1746, surely a no brainer :icon_biggrin:

Capture.JPG.d5140c6bb1f21363f5c47b859547aa95.JPG

These adds are  getting  worse. RRP £1897.  :smile: I think they left

out of the picture , the scope it is attached to. 

Edited by Grotemobile

13 hours ago, happy-kat said:

EID - like watching an ant brush his teeth on a blade of grass under your feet.

Unknown - hedge 30 feet

WO - nada nothing

Thanks, but I'm afraid I don't really understand your conclusions.  Which ones come to focus?

• Like 1

The unknown make star diagonal performed the best and focused about 30 feet away on the hedge.

I then went on and tested with no diagonal but the rear section replaced. The standard 25mm eyepiece wouldn't focus when the vixen 30mm npl would (see post as was holding it manually) mid distance some trees few hundred feet away. Really need the Moon to test on to get true infinity. I'm not staying up late to see stars to test on.

I've not yet mounted it so all hand held and fiddly swapping this that and the other, once I've been able to mount it and the Moon is there testings will be easier.

Edited by happy-kat