SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NEW! Sky-Watcher EvoGuide 50mm ED GuideScope

FLO

1 hour ago, DirkSteele said:

@FLO, any thoughts how one might either mount this on a small dovetail for use on a small telescope mount or directly on to a photo-tripod thread?

We are currently sold out so I don't have one in front of me and unfortunately I didn't check to see if it has a photo-thread underneath the mounting foot. 

The Borg Series 60 Mounting Ring should fit nicely with some felt/cork padding. 

I will give it more thought when our next delivery arrives. 

Steve 

• Like 1

I picked one up yesterday.

With the rear section in place, it focuses with a guide camera (lodestar x2). Without the rear section it focuses with a dslr (Canon 1100D).

However I could not get it to focus with a simple 1.25" diagonal and eyepiece. 

Anyone else managed?

Nigel

8 minutes ago, ngent said:

I picked one up yesterday.

With the rear section in place, it focuses with a guide camera (lodestar x2). Without the rear section it focuses with a dslr (Canon 1100D).

Anyone else managed?

Nigel

Does it come close to focus with the mirror diagonal? If so maybe the shorter light path of a 1.25" Prism diagonal will work? 

1 hour ago, ngent said:

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

Does it come close to focus with the mirror diagonal? If so maybe the shorter light path of a 1.25" Prism diagonal will work? 

1 hour ago, ngent said:

I did wonder if a prism diagonal might work - however I don't have one!

It would be nice to hear from someone who has managed to use it visually. 

It will indeed be nice to hear. I confess I assumed it would and the sales spiel about it being suitable as "a small richfield telescope for travelling!" appears to confirm it. 

I have edited our product description until we hear more from owners (we don't have access to one until our next stock delivery). 

Steve 

• Thanks 1

I have some more questions about this seeming excellent little scope.

1 - The dew shield at the front appears to have some baffles/threads on the inside.  Can anyone confirm whether these are baffles or a thread?   If it is a thread, do you know what size thread it is?

2 - Can anyone tell me the external and internal diameters of the dew shield?

3 - One of the proposed uses for the Evoguide is as a superior finderscope.  I presently have a Skywatcher straight-through 9 x 50 finderscope with illuminated reticle.  https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-straight-illuminated-magnified-finderscopes.html  If I get an Evoguide I'll want an illuminated reticle eyepiece that gives me a similar or larger FOV as my present finderscope.  Any suggestions?

4 - Could I mount it in a standard Skywatcher finderscope bracket?

Thanks

Edited by michaelmorris

@michaelmorris We don't have one here and won't until the next shipment arrives in April but... 

1. The dew shield isn't threaded for filters, the ridges are baffles. A filter would need to go on the eyepiece. 

2. Didn't think to measure dew shield diameters but will when stock arrives, hopefully an owner will post details before then. 

3. Sky-Watcher's own illuminated reticule eyepiece is a 12.5mm Plossl with 40° AFOV.  Baader also offer their 12.5mm Microguide eyepiece, an Abbe Orthoscopic with 42° FOV and a more detailed reticule but it is considerably more expensive. 

4. The regular 9x50 Sky-Watcher finderscope bracket won't fit the new EvoGuide. 

HTH, 

Steve 

On 14/02/2018 at 09:05, DirkSteele said:

@FLO, any thoughts how one might either mount this on a small dovetail for use on a small telescope mount or directly on to a photo-tripod thread?

There is enough meat on the mini dovetail to drill and tap for a 1/4 - 20 UNC thread to mount it directly onto a camera tripod. If you dont have the facility to do that but would like it doing just PM me for my address and I will happily do it for you - no charge !

• Like 2

Thanks Flo, mine arrived last week and its a lovely bit of kit, cant wait to use it.

The Evoguide 50ED fits within the WO finder rings I had, so I have transplanted half the locking nuts to these rings and I can now easily move it between my Skywatcher 130pds equipped with the evoguide 50ED rings, and the WO star 71.

IMG_3161.jpg.d03db99d75f4d06e84c59cea147bafe3.jpg

I will end up mounting it on top of the scopes when I get a chance to drill some holes :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

I really hope these can reach focus with a prism! If it is, I might finally be an apo owner!

Anyway, what is S-FPL53 glass? I'm guessing it's not quite as good as plain FPL53 glass...

Edited by Ags

On 19/02/2018 at 21:30, Hailfire101 said:

How long till these are back in stock @FLO? :)

14 hours ago, Stu said:

No, it's the same thing, they just don't use the S most of the time.

Unfortunately the first batch sold out in days. The next shipment is due sometime in April. 

It is often the way with new products, they start with a small batch to test the waters followed by a second much larger shipment. 

HTH, 

Steve 

To use this as a travel scope on its own,  as opposed to a guide scope, it really needs a tripod screw hole on the tube itself – as bit like some Williams Optics scopes have (a “foot” with a Vixen plate that also includes the screw hole).  Wonder if this will become available at some stage.
I have used similar finder/guiders as travel scopes (not ED versions, though!) and find that the adjustable holder adds unnecessary bulk and weight which defeats the purpose a bit – and attaching the holder to a tripod means that the centre of gravity is far out from the tube.