Narrowband

NEW! Sky-Watcher EvoGuide 50mm ED GuideScope

FLO

30 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Any news when the Skywatcher Evostar 72ED is due out ? Thanks

We have been asked to not discuss the new Evostar 72ED, which is frustrating because I think everyone and their dog knows it exists and will arrive soon. 

:smile: 

• Like 3

Indeed, the possibility of using a 45° correct image prism like this one

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/diagonals/william-optics-125-45-degree-erecting-prism.html

would be very interesting. I think you really have to find out the max backfocus available.

People may also think to build a little binoscope using two of these, if a diagonal can be used. So, how large is the widest part of the body? If it is below 60mm, indeed a simple and reasonably cheap ED binoscope can be built.

Edited by Rick_It
  • Like 2

On 10/02/2018 at 11:42, FLO said:

Our first stock delivery arrived only last week but we will have a play, take some measurements then do our best to answer questions when we reopen Monday. 

:smile: 

The Skywatcher EvoGuide 50ED weighs 865g (a regular 9x50 finder weighs 465g). 

With the rear section (shown faded in diagram below) removed a regular 1.25-inch diagonal or erecting diagonal will fit and achieve focus.  To be confirmed! 

With the rear section fitted the Evoguide will achieve focus using, say, a ZWO ASI-120 or Starlight Xpress Lodestar.

Skywatcher also include a par-focal ring for convenience. 

HTH,

Steve

skywatcher_evoguide_50ed_guidescope_SGL.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Rick_It said:

... how large is the widest part of the body? If it is below 60mm, indeed a simple and reasonably cheap ED binoscope can be built.

The tube diameter is 56 mm, the widest diameter (green focus grip and dew-shield) is 60mm. 

On 12/02/2018 at 12:09, FLO said:

The Skywatcher EvoGuide 50ED weighs 865g (a regular 9x50 finder weighs 465g). 

With the rear section (shown faded in diagram below) removed a regular 1.25-inch diagonal or erecting diagonal will fit and achieve focus.  To be confirmed! 

With the rear section fitted the Evoguide will achieve focus using, say, a ZWO ASI-120 or Starlight Xpress Lodestar.

Skywatcher also include a par-focal ring for convenience. 

HTH,

Steve

skywatcher_evoguide_50ed_guidescope_SGL.jpg

Oh dear, that's another £150 that will be leaving the bank account! :icon_biggrin:

Seriously though, if this is half as good as it sounds like it is going be, this could be a really good seller.

Aaarrghh!  We have already sold out!  So too have Sky-Watcher's importer! :sad2:

We have another delivery arriving tomorrow but I am concerned there might not be enough to cover existing backorders.  I'll know more in an hour. 

The next shipment from Sky-Watcher is scheduled for April. 

Please don't shoot the messenger. 

Steve 

14 minutes ago, FLO said:

We have another delivery arriving tomorrow but I am concerned there might not be enough to cover existing backorders.  I'll know more in an hour. 

We will have enough arriving tomorrow to fulfil existing orders :smile: 

Additional orders will be fulfilled when the next shipment arrives in April. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirkSteele said:

I might treat myself to this as a tiny travel scope when even the Tak FS-60 is too much...And there was me thinking I was done purchasing equipment

I’ve decided that my tv60 is as small as I want to go. I find it’s not the scope that causes space issues but rather the mount.

However I’ve now got a short tripod similar to your Gitzo which has definitely helped in this regard. 

Edited by GavStar
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Will the ED glass be corrective enough at f4.8 to squash any CA if used with a camera?

I think that there is a reasonable chance it might, CA is a function of f ratio and objective size. I can only find this old chart for normal achros but it gives you an idea.

CA-ratio-chart-achro.jpg.f83432d3901089690aa1ff6a4bbdb6b4.jpg

If you extrapolate down to an imaginary 50mm objective it would suggest even normal glass would be ok at around f/6.

Alan

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Will the ED glass be corrective enough at f4.8 to squash any CA if used with a camera?

57 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

If you extrapolate down to an imaginary 50mm objective it would suggest even normal glass would be ok at around f/6.

All have sold and are dispatched so I won't be able to assess one under a night sky until after the next delivery. But, with so many having sold in such a short space of time I think you'll soon be reading reports from owners here at SGL. 

Consider how good your regular 9x50 Sky-Watcher finderscope is - it has regular glass but CA is minimal. This is in part because small aperture telescopes use thinner lenses (same is true for long f-ratio telescopes, but that is another story). 

I am expecting the EvoGuide with it's 50mm objective and S-FPL53 ED element to be very well corrected.  

HTH, 

Steve 

• Thanks 2

hi im pretty new here  :)  i was wondering if this would make a nice travel scope mounted on an az-gti mount or on top of my 102 mak attached as well  ? also as im more of a photographer than an astronomer . would this be suitable for the same thing but with my dslr attached with an l bracket to the az-gti  mount ?  

cheers darren

Edited by dazroome

On 12/02/2018 at 14:38, FLO said:

Additional orders will be fulfilled when the next shipment arrives in April. 

Well that makes things easier. Saves me choosing. I'll have the Startravel 80 this week (see you Friday FLO :icon_biggrin: ) then I'll grab one of these in April when they're back in stock. :happy7:

• Like 1