SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NEW! Sky-Watcher EvoGuide 50mm ED GuideScope

FLO

We like this! Sky-Watcher EvoGuide 50ED Guidescope

sw_evoguide_50ed_1.jpg

50mm Finder / GuideScope with ED doublet optics using FPL-53 glass for one of the elements :)

Fine helical focuser for precise focusing and a 1.25" barrel or T2 thread for camera or eyepiece connection.

The bracket is a standard Sky-Watcher / Vixen finder style so should fit most shoes.

Now available and ready to ship!

• Like 7

I'm wondering if you could straight up image with the thing? Might be a nice little step up from a 200mm lens for some people? Also Matts question above is interesting.

p.s. I think SW should switch to green and white for their scopes as it looks better than the green and black to me at least.

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

If it comes to focus with perhaps a short Prism diagonal it will be amazing as a travel scope.

My thoughts exactly, Stu! I'd be interested to hear if a diagonal can be accommodated.

I also wonder what's the best way to mount it on a standard photo tripod.

• Like 2

What a lovely little scope, another well thought out product from Skywatcher. I like the lockable adjustment screws on the rings. It will be interesting to see how good the helical focuser is. 

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dave Lloyd said:

I'm very tempted for the price ?

The price has fallen three times in less than 24-hrs!

I think dealers know it will quickly become a bestseller so are already discounting it.  

Currently the lowest price is £155 and we have set ours to match :angel: 

That is very eye catching, I really like it.

I have been looking at getting a guiding bundle to pair with my ED80. Have been looking at the Mini Guide Scope Bundle (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/guide-cameras/mini-guide-scope-bundle.html)
but I am now torn between that and this new 50ED one.

Which would you suggest would be the better option? and what is the weight difference of the 2 guide scopes?

Thanks in advance :) 

Not sure of the weight difference but will post again when we have an opportunity to compare them side-by-side. 

Speaking personally, unless compact size is really important, I would choose the new Sky-Watcher EvoGuide. 

The question most people are asking, is how will it compare with the StarTravel-80 for guiding? There are probably more people using an ST80 for guiding than any other telescope. It is a very popular choice, that is why we assembled the ST80 bundle. 

flo_guider_sbs_zwo_bundle.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

There is one on display on the Skywatcher stand at Astrofest. Had a quick look and seemed to have a very solid build quality.

I saw it too. Asked the vendor if it worked with a diagonal prism, but they said they didn’t know.

The more I look at this the more I think I might get one. Ideally it could fulfil multiple roles.  Guidescope, finderscope, grab and go ultra portable telescope, Ha solar telescope (with Coronado 50mm Ha etalon on front and blocking filter on back) and possibly, at a push, wideish field imaging scope.

For me, the key thing will be how much back focus it has.

1 - does it have enough back focus to mount a diagonal + eyepiece on the back (like the Stellarvue 50 Nighthawk/Little Rascal)?

2 - does it have enough back focus  to mount a T2 to C mount adaptor on the back with a Lodestar screwed into the C mount adaptor?

Also, could I mount it in a standard Sky-Watcher finderscope bracket?

Edited by michaelmorris

On 08/02/2018 at 13:38, FLO said:

The question most people are asking, is how will it compare with the StarTravel-80 for guiding? There are probably more people using an ST80 for guiding than any other telescope. It is a very popular choice, that is why we assembled the ST80 bundle. 

I'm very interested in the answer to this question as the StarTravel-80 is on my list of things to pick up this week.
Now I'm torn between the two! :help: