Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellarium 0.17.0

alexwolf

44 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

It's got a list of programs to add but Stellarium isn't in the list, can I  add my own programs to the list ?

Dave

If you go to manage 3d settings >program settings in the Nvidia control panel and click add there should be an option to browse for the software you want.. then add it to the list.

Alan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Davey-T said:

A bit off topic but what happened to the control panel that NVidia used to have ? I've got an old desktop machine that has a NVidia board and a control panel to set all sorts.

Dave

The problem with laptops is that they are hybrids so even though they have Nvidia graphics card they still uses the Intel "front end" meaning all the screen control is done with the Intel panel which is a shame because they recently got rid of the Gamma slider. The proper Nvidia control panel was a thing of beauty with lots of tabs to play with.

Alan

8 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Exactly and now it's gone, is this progress ?

Dave

Not progress at all Dave, at one point a Win 10 update didn't like my Nvidia drivers and decided to remove the control panel altogether, same thing with my Soundblaster sound card when Intel decided there drivers were much better...

Back on topic these issues do help us to understand why some software will initially have one or to oddities.

Alan

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Received this cryptic message this morning, not sure what it means ?

Do they want me to edit something ?

Dave

5a4f5c9b13081_Stellariumbug.PNG.f36e699b6dc994067734369aa74bf4ce.PNG

Hi Dave

I think they are saying that they don't think it's a Stellarium bug and that you should use the Nvidia graphics viz:

"You may have a Geforce but are using the CPU graphics. User NVidia Control Panel to ensure Stellarium is always executed in the Geforce."

Louise

9 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi Dave

I think they are saying that they don't think it's a Stellarium bug and that you should use the Nvidia graphics viz:

"You may have a Geforce but are using the CPU graphics. User NVidia Control Panel to ensure Stellarium is always executed in the Geforce."

Louise

Yes I'm using the NVidia graphics but even though I've set Stellarium to use it as default and added Stellarium to the list of programs in the NVidia control panel it still defaults to the Intel on board graphics so I have to remember right click it and set use NVidia graphics every time I start it.

Not sure they can claim it's not a Stellarium bug as it's the only program affected.

Dave

Hi again

If you bring up the nvidia control panel by right clicking on the desktop and change global settings to use the nvidia, that might work. Have you had a Windows 10 update recently? It might be worth checking that you have the latest Intel graphics driver just in case it's that which is causing the problem.

Louise

2 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi again

If you bring up the nvidia control panel by right clicking on the desktop and change global settings to use the nvidia, that might work. Have you had a Windows 10 update recently? It might be worth checking that you have the latest Intel graphics driver just in case it's that which is causing the problem.

Louise

Thanks Louise, yes I've done that, I have the latest driver as far as I can see, not done any updates but it has been like this since I first installed it a couple of weeks ago, tried V0.16.0 an V0.17.0

Just can't stop it reverting to the on board graphics.

Dave

Hiya

I think most people (everyone?) will have had a major Win 10 update recently and you have to check to see if any settings have changed. Other than something like that then the only thing I can think of to suggest is you go back to the last known working version of Stellarium and use that. If you happen to find that that version also no longer works then maybe the upgrade to 0.17.0 was a red herring and something else has changed that's causing the problem. 

Louise

Hi Dave, I am about to download the 0.17.0 version can you tell me which one you used i.e. 32 or 64  bit versions and what do you have your lid set to when you close it? I will be running on a Dell machine with Nvidia/Intel dual graphics..

Alan

P.S. I am currently running ver 0.14.3 do I need to uninstall that first or will it just overwrite?

Hi Alan, sorry missed your post yesterday.

I used the 64bit version, I had all settings on sleep as it came, only way to keep Stellarium running was to set it to do nothing.

It was new laptop a few weeks ago and originally installed V0.16.0 then uninstalled it and tried V0.17.0 with the same problem, I believe you can save your old settings when updating if you want to.

Now even though I've tried to make the default graphics NVidia it just ignores my settings and use the Intel graphics so I'm resigned to having to select NVidia graphics every time I start it.

Will have another play with it when I have time.

Having USB/ COM Port /ASCOM fun ATM with my imaging laptop.

Dave

18 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Hi Dave, I am about to download the 0.17.0 version can you tell me which one you used i.e. 32 or 64  bit versions and what do you have your lid set to when you close it? I will be running on a Dell machine with Nvidia/Intel dual graphics..

Alan

P.S. I am currently running ver 0.14.3 do I need to uninstall that first or will it just overwrite?

It will depend on what OS your computer uses. 
You can create a new folder (call it Stellarium 0.17.0) when you install. The installer will then install 0.17.0 in a new location.

8 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

It will depend on what OS your computer uses. 
You can create a new folder (call it Stellarium 0.17.0) when you install. The installer will then install 0.17.0 in a new location.

Thanks Peter, I am running win 10 and will install it in a new named folder as suggested, think I will stick it on the HDD rather than the SSD.

Alan

38 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Thanks Peter, I am running win 10 and will install it in a new named folder as suggested, think I will stick it on the HDD rather than the SSD.

Alan

I have both v15.1 and v17 running fine on my W10 64bit with Nvidia graphics.

Hi Alexander,

thank you so much! This time I chose to install without replacing the main configuration file. I came from 0.16.1
Everything seems to work fine. Will I miss out on anything new because I did not erase my old main configuration file? It certainly saved me some time and everything looks as before.

I noticed that the ocular plug-in no longer jumps around with changing the eyepieces. I noticed that first in 0.16. It never jumped very far, but this is better. Also, The plug-in is now insensitive to clicks outside the view of the eyepiece. That is very convenient!

Hugs from a happy user!

• 4 weeks later...

Stellarium 0.17.0 downloaded and works ok...except for Telescope Control.  i have an HEQ5 pro with EQMOD usb serial lead to mount.  Works fine with SGPro and Starry Night pro 7.  But Stellarium doesn't see mount and says "connecting"  but never connects.  Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but I haven't yet found solution.

9 hours ago, brandxlb said:

Stellarium 0.17.0 downloaded and works ok...except for Telescope Control.  i have an HEQ5 pro with EQMOD usb serial lead to mount.  Works fine with SGPro and Starry Night pro 7.  But Stellarium doesn't see mount and says "connecting"  but never connects.  Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but I haven't yet found solution.

Could you download beta version, enable debug mode in the Telescope Control plugin and check connection to the mount? Of course we want to see logs from this experiment.

Hi

I have just installed 0.17.0 and have a strange issue in regards to the rendering the moon.
When zoomed out it can be seen fine however when you use the Oculars plugin or zoom in the moon is not visible.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing, removing config and data files from the profiles folder but nothing seems to work.
This seems to be a possible issue with OpenGL as if I load using mesa the moon is visible (although a lot slower).
The 32bit and 64bit both have the same issue, I have also updated on my obsy pc which is working fine but uses an intergrated Intel GPU
I am using a Geforce 770GTX and have tried older drivers and the latest updated ones.
Any information regarding this would be great

Regards

Mark

Archived