Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

55 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

I've been without a Baader Barlow for too long, so my thanks to @Knighty2112 (Gus) for the prompt delivery of this mint condition Hyperion Zoom 2.25x..

It'll transform my MkIII Barlow to a 3.5mm -10.5mm high power unit, giving me on my Tak 5" of 297x down to 99x👍..

Also, (and this is the great thing about Baaders' zooms at 2.25x), it will work with my Pentax 10.5XL to take it from 99x up to 223x - a little more than a 5mm XW, so effectively giving me 2 Pentax mid- hi power planetary eps😊.

Dave

IMG_20220927_161825179.jpg

Glad you got it OK. Hope you get some great views with it. :) 

• Thanks 1

Important piece of the puzzle missing here i think. mmmh. At least i'll be able to transport my hopefully imminent new OTA in this SKB case delivered yesterday. As long as it fits!!!

Does anyone have any tips for cutting foam really neatly?

Cheers

IMG_3174.jpeg.f1c9e9bc8a82c24f523b36cd5b0c490c.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, josefk said:

Important piece of the puzzle missing here i think. mmmh. At least i'll be able to transport my hopefully imminent new OTA in this SKB case delivered yesterday. As long as it fits!!!

Cheers

Yes, get someone else to do it! Seriously, though, is the foam in the base not pre-diced for easy chopping with a sharp knife?

Just now, Mandy D said:

Yes, get someone else to do it! Seriously, though, is the foam in the base not pre-diced for easy chopping with a sharp knife?

no i'm afraid not - its layered but layered in slabs not pick 'n' pluck...i can practise in the lower hidden layers at least 🙂

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, badhex said:

Can you make a template out of thick card? 

i can @badhex and i will but i just know even then it will look like a dog ate the cavity part out and not like the "laser cut" "custom fit" perfection my OCD demands! i did an eyepiece case in shadow foam last week and that required only small cuts in a firm foam and it still looks like mice did it 🤣. Good job these things get used in the dark.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, josefk said:

Cheers

I’d heard that Tak had invented a new lens material that sucks in so many photons that it renders the scope practically invisible 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I’d heard that Tak had invented a new lens material that sucks in so many photons that it renders the scope practically invisible 

I may need that quality when the time comes. This case is hidden in my home office. if i mis-time "being seen in public with it" i risk getting locked in it. 🤣

Edited by josefk
  • Haha 1

The Amazon man brought 2 EPs … today was the turn of the Celestron 8-24 … yesterday  the SVBony 9-27 arrived … tonight will be a comparison a duel to decide the king of budget (ish) zooms .. and it’s going to be mainly clear here tonight , which does help of course .

winner takes all ! 

B723A77D-7807-43BF-90B0-C722A89C272B.jpeg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Paul M said:

A birthday present to pimp my Mak.

The Celestron 127 stock rear fitting and diagonal leave a lot to be desired so these should make it a nicer visual experience. 

20220929_142705.thumb.jpg.1c1e78496d7969f733d1778ec58b1c99.jpg

Check the inside of the diagonal as they have all been silver/red up to now. Paint the inner of the sides matt black.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xgaze said:

Is this the 'Shorty' ?
I'd be interested to know what you think...

Best,
T

Not Ian, but have found the shorty to perform very well. No visible degradation at all with Starguiders (compared 12mm to barlowed 25mm). Will try and get a couple comparison images for you if you’d like.

Downside to it is that whilst the barlow element screws off, it’s not threaded for eyepieces and can’t be used as a 1.6x. 

• Like 1