Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging Challenge #9 - RGB

The theme for the ninth challenge - December 2017 - is RGB!

Start Date: 1st December 2017
End Date: 28th February 2018

Rules: We want to see images, videos, animations or sketches with the theme  'RGB' - please be as artistic or creative as you like :) Mono imagers please feel free to enter but your images must be RGB colour images, not narrowband / false colour images.

Prize: £100 of FLO gift vouchers to buy some goodies with! Kindly provided by our sponsors FLO :) and a virtual trophy for your signature.

--

RULES

All data must be captured and processed by you (no collaborative entries). 
Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates. 
Multiple entries are allowed but please start a new topic for each entry. 
Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

--

To enter please start a new topic with your image in the ‘Imaging Challenge #9’ forum (each challenge will have it’s own). Please post as much information as possible - when it was taken, how it was captured and processed, etc. The info won't necessarily be used for judging but will help fellow SGLers looking to learn and improve their knowledge and technique.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

Is this strictly RGB with no luminance allowed?

I'm assuming Lum is fine as long as it's not taken with a Ha (Narrowband) filter. I'm prepared to be corrected though :D

3 hours ago, Grant said:

Well it's really a OSC / DSLR challenge but we didn't want to exclude people with mono cameras :)

But DSLRs were excluded from entering the Narrowband Challenge?  Discrimination :hiding:

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

But DSLRs were excluded from entering the Narrowband Challenge?  Discrimination :hiding:

We are going to try and keep the challenges as open as possible in future - we will see how it goes though.

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I understood there would be an OSC/DSLR challenge in January-March.

Is this 'open to all' RGB challenge a different one?

This is the OSC / DSLR challenge but we’ve tried to listen to feedback form past challenges and want to make it as open as possible.

It looks like we can’t win either way! The point of these challenges is to be a bit of fun that people can participate it - please take them in the spirit intended ?

• Like 5

Just now, Grant said:

We are going to try and keep the challenges as open as possible in future - we will see how it goes though.

This is the OSC / DSLR challenge but we’ve tried to listen to feedback form past challenges and want to make it as open as possible.

It looks like we can’t win either way! The point of these challenges is to be a bit of fun that people can participate it - please take them in the spirit intended ?

Thanks Grant for the update. Of course they are just for fun and they are most enjoyable. 

On 12/5/2017 at 21:04, Grant said:

I will own up to being one of the people who wanted to enter the narrow band imaging challenge with an OSC but could not. 

As such I completely understand what you are trying to do here and thank you for making the challenge as inclusive as possible.  

I am very content with this, just on the assumption that OSC will be able to enter narrow band imaging challenges in the future too. 

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

I hope the equipment used is given consideration as well as the final result.

In future, I think it is important that ALL challenges make it very explicit what their target audience is in the title.

I would like to see ones chosen specifically intended to be for beginners, or at least thought out to provide a level playing field.

One example might be limiting sub length and/or aperture ratio.

I think a competition for compact/bridge/phone cameras might even tempt some of the visual astronomers to the dark side or encourage those of use getting a bit more experience to slim things down a bit.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? It's time for common sense. The challenge of our times is to encourage more participants, so perhaps the next moves forward need to go back to basics so all you need is a strong and stable tripod.

6 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I hope the equipment used is given consideration as well as the final result.

In future, I think it is important that ALL challenges make it very explicit what their target audience is in the title.

I would like to see ones chosen specifically intended to be for beginners, or at least thought out to provide a level playing field.

One example might be limiting sub length and/or aperture ratio.

I think a competition for compact/bridge/phone cameras might even tempt some of the visual astronomers to the dark side or encourage those of use getting a bit more experience to slim things down a bit.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? It's time for common sense. The challenge of our times is to encourage more participants, so perhaps the next moves forward need to go back to basics so all you need is a strong and stable tripod.

we've had 30 sec subs before. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Grant pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...