Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What will you use on Mars 2018?

31 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

I’ll be using these and really looking forward to it despite the poor positioning.

I’m going to give the Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector (ADC) a go too. I haven’t really given it a good test since buying it but this seems like the  ideal circumstances 

F79E0CEE-FEE6-4900-AE63-61DB33491653.thumb.jpeg.cb7d6860942b855219de20c555de22c2.jpeg

Atmospheric Dispersion filter? Never heard of it... I'm very curious to exactly how effective it is?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, I hope I do too.  Mind you, I'll enjoy it anyway.  As Kerry said, I'm looking forward to it also.  Looking forward to such an astronomical event is like planning a special holiday, even if you don't get a sea view when you arrive at your destination :smile:.

20 hours ago, kerrylewis said:

It's not a filter. Google it or look on the FLO website 

Very interesting .. From what I read it's mostly beneficial with planetary imaging/observing with large aperture scopes when the planets are low in the horizon... seeing that the planets from my location are going to be very high in the sky... Like close to zenith for the foreseeable future it might not be that crucial but they're not that expensive so I might get one in the future when I'm looking for a new toy... rIght now I have my plate ful with upcoming projects... Imaging the southern sky (there's hundreds of objects), creating a electric focused for my dob and soon entertaining a miniMe future astronomer, perhaps.

• 1 month later...
On 09/11/2017 at 16:22, paulastro said:

Coo, I wish the altitude was over 80 degrees here, alas in darkest Yorkshire it will only be something like 10 degrees 42', more of this later.

I'll be using an Equinox 120ED refractor on a GP Equatorial mount kindly converted by Peter Drew to a GP Altaz, which I personally find more convenient for comfortable observing, I'm purely a visual man.  For those who don't know, whilst the older Vixen SP can simply have the altitude adjusted to perform as an altaz, to convert a GP requires a good saw and a file, plus a couple of bits including elastic bands in my case!

I'll be using an extended dew shield, (though this shouldn't be necessary at opposition in July!), my Baader Maxbright Binoviewer, two Baader Mk111 zooms and a x2 barlow element screwed into the nosepiece of the binoviewer.

I'll also have a four inch aperture stop available for the 120ED if it should be necessary.  This isn't as strange as it sounds, at such low altitudes in the UK, the seeing may sometimes be better with four inches aperture than five.  I'd also suggest those using telescopes of six inch and over have some suitable aperture stops.  A twenty inch dob won't be a lot of good at such low altitudes unless the seeing is very good indeed.  Bigger is not always better

I wont be able to get Mars from my observatory, so I'll be using this mount as a portable option.  I'll also have some sites I can travel to at various locations both locally and across the country where the horizon  will be better, and in some cases more amiably weather than Yorkshire.

If I should come into some money before next July, I'll be many miles away from Yorkshire!!

PB091217b.thumb.jpg.287f00070d90a96b14651b231ac67ba6.jpg

PB091219b.thumb.jpg.7a63134ad1cc93c7c013b0269570c226.jpg

PB091221b.thumb.jpg.01b40bd0ff3f6b49d472a77eac3c33b4.jpg

PB091225b.thumb.jpg.e870eff8ab4a869376930201f35996da.jpg

You'll be pleased to know your old 120 Equinox will also be used by me. Possibly also my 16" dob if I can get it.

On 21/10/2017 at 14:43, Paul73 said:

With a bit of luck I can convince wife & 3 small children to fly down while I drive  with a 16” Dob and an ED120 listening to Pink Floyd.??

Pity you can't observe Mars from the Dark Side of the Moon, Paul:grin::grin:..

Dave

On 21/10/2017 at 22:43, John said:

Steady seeing is what is needed for getting the best from the planets.

Totally agree John. Stable, steady air allows all scopes to give of their resolution best on planets..those all too rare (in the UK) nights are the ones where top end scopes pull away from the pack by soaking up magnification without the image breaking down☺.

Dave

On 09/11/2017 at 16:22, paulastro said:

I'll also have a four inch aperture stop available for the 120ED if it should be necessary.  This isn't as strange as it sounds, at such low altitudes in the UK, the seeing may sometimes be better with four inches aperture than five

Good point Paul. I used to use a 4" mask on a Bresser 127L achromat.. it converted it from a 5" F9.4 to a 4" F12 and reduced CA right down and improved contrast too.

Dave

6 hours ago, L8-Nite said:

No, our van doesn't have water wings so can't drive that far, :grin:  but we have been thinking about a caravan holiday to France to get away from the cloudy UK.

Good point....

France away from lights and people.. errr "civilization" sounds bliss.

Archived