Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What will you use on Mars 2018?

Hello celestial lovers,

With Mars potentially being a very large angular size in the eyepiece coming so close to us, as it has been and will be for many years since and many years to come... 2033... I'm sure that most astronomers will try to get as much out of the next Martian opposition as possible.

What will everyone use to view and image Mars next year? Will anyone travel?

Personally I'll have both my NexStar 8SE and Skywatcher 14" Dob trained on Mars every clear night for about two weeks, capturing Mars data definitely by the 8SE, and probably the 14" also... that's in between observing it using that big mirror. I'm hoping that the view through the 14" at a magnification of 470X+ will be breath taking.

First thing first, I have already put in for Annual Leave at work for the last week in July and first week in August, with the RDOs with in and on either end of the two weeks, I'll hopefully have a few clear night to see Mars in it's full war lord glory...

Imaging it will be through the IS DMK21au618 mono, R, G, B, IRPass685 and UVenus filters, as well as through the Skyris 618C.

Seeing that Mars will be about 81 degrees high in my sky, being near zenith I'm feeling confident that I'll have some amazing details in the eyepiece, perhaps Phobos and Deimos?... Hey, while in the high hoping spirit, maybe I'll have the opportunity to catch a glimpse of Spirit and Opportunity. :icon_biggrin:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Galen Gilmore said:

I might have an 8" dob by then. That would be what I use to observe it.

Nice, judging by what I saw in 2016 through my 8" SCT, I think you're in for a treat. I had a few night where seeing was exceptional and I saw fleeting very fine detail coming and going out of view.

If I can recommend any filter, than it would be the Neodymium filter, or Baader Moon & Sky glow filter, it really reveals detail on Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. Occasionally when stacked with their Contrast booster filter I pick out the finer planetary detail.

My old 3-draw brass telescope.

My first views of Mars, Jupiter and Saturn were through it. I did some hand-held afocal imaging of Jupiter and Saturn at that time with my digital camera. I remember trying to manually stack Jupiter in Photoshop, and seeing the orientation of the rings in Saturn was very exciting. 2004? I forget. I remember my visual of Mars though, the first thing I saw through the scope as disc. I was lying prone on a hillside in Edinburgh, looking South, hoping no passers by would see me.

Then 2013 I go and build an 8.5" f/7.6 newtonian - a great "planetary scope". I pulled it from storage last winter, only to then realise how poorly positioned Mars, Jupiter and Saturn are from here, for a while yet. It's pretty grim from UK latitudes based on altitude alone, so did some math to work out just how grim:

altitudes.jpg.434bcd5aebb7b540dd90675aabf9613c.jpg

Mars is not very high here next year, here's another graph showing maximum night-time altidude, with the red being when I can see it cross my local meridian. I think latitude is Greenwich so worse for me a few degrees further north.

mars.jpg.1136436d7d96d97a6ba17bc012c01a07.jpg

Where the dob sits, I'll be lucky if I can catch opposition over the house roof, but I should catch it a month or two after. I might drive it up a hill one night. Late 2020, won't be so big, but will be a lot easier to see.

As for imaging, 850nm and a PS3 Eye. Also my other camera. Must build the EQ platform before then.

11 minutes ago, furrysocks2 said:

My old 3-draw brass telescope.

My first views of Mars, Jupiter and Saturn were through it. I did some hand-held afocal imaging of Jupiter and Saturn at that time with my digital camera. I remember trying to manually stack Jupiter in Photoshop, and seeing the orientation of the rings in Saturn was very exciting. 2004? I forget. I remember my visual of Mars though, the first thing I saw through the scope as disc. I was lying prone on a hillside in Edinburgh, looking South, hoping no passers by would see me.

Then 2013 I go and build an 8.5" f/7.6 newtonian - a great "planetary scope". I pulled it from storage last winter, only to then realise how poorly positioned Mars, Jupiter and Saturn are from here, for a while yet. It's pretty grim from UK latitudes based on altitude alone, so did some math to work out just how grim:

altitudes.jpg.434bcd5aebb7b540dd90675aabf9613c.jpg

Mars is not very high here next year, here's another graph showing maximum night-time altidude, with the red being when I can see it cross my local meridian. I think latitude is Greenwich so worse for me a few degrees further north.

mars.jpg.1136436d7d96d97a6ba17bc012c01a07.jpg

Where the dob sits, I'll be lucky if I can catch opposition over the house roof, but I should catch it a month or two after. I might drive it up a hill one night. Late 2020, won't be so big, but will be a lot easier to see.

As for imaging, 850nm and a PS3 Eye. Also my other camera. Must build the EQ platform before then.

Damn, next year is looking poor from your latitude, not until end of 2023, than 2025 will you have some good altitude... perhaps a holiday in the southern hemisphere is in order?

With stacking Saturn, seems like you were ahead of your time... I remember trying to "stack" 5 frames of the Orion Nebula in photoshop using "Screen" as the filter/method for combining layers.... it also worked in a very basic way. This was before I knew about stacking software.

Imagine what the 8.5" Newt would show you if Mars was higher up... trip time is definitely a good idea... Barbados?

I was ecstatic in 2003 with the views I had through my AR-5 127mm F/9.3 Achromatic Refractor. As well as one nights' worth of viewing through a new-that-year 'MARS 2003 FILTER' by Sirius Optics. I had the filter on order, and got to use it for one night (it was worth the wait!), and then a planet-wide dust-storm occluded the entire disk. And in 2018, I intend to use the same scope. And the filter is at the ready.

We have clouds & rain. Mars has dust-storms.

59eaecc3f376a_SiriusOpticsMars2003Filter-PNG.png.419e6941c78275073663d71af7d81b16.png

Say a little prayer to the Dust-Deity,

Dave

My Takahashi FC-100DL and my TMB/LZOS 130 F/9.2 will be my main instruments for Mars. Both will handle very high magnifications with relative ease, conditions allowing. Scopes on taller mounts make observing low down objects easier I find :icon_biggrin:

Mars will be just over 24 arc seconds in apparent diameter at opposition in July 2018:

tmbtak01.JPG

2018.jpg

6 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

I was ecstatic in 2003 with the views I had through my AR-5 127mm F/9.3 Achromatic Refractor. As well as one nights' worth of viewing through a new-that-year 'MARS 2003 FILTER' by Sirius Optics. I had the filter on order, and got to use it for one night (it was worth the wait!), and then a planet-wide dust-storm occluded the entire disk. And in 2018, I intend to use the same scope. And the filter is at the ready.

We have clouds & rain. Mars has dust-storms.

59eaecc3f376a_SiriusOpticsMars2003Filter-PNG.png.419e6941c78275073663d71af7d81b16.png

Say a little prayer to the Dust-Deity,

Dave

The MARS 2003 filter, would that be perhaps similar to the Neodymium filter I mentioned above and in the past? The color from that angle make me think that it might at least be similar, if so, than I can vouch for how it improves the view of fine detail.

Have you tried it on Saturn and Jupiter?

7 minutes ago, John said:

My Takahashi FC-100DL and my TMB/LZOS 130 F/9.2 will be my main instruments for Mars. Both will handle very high magnifications with relavite ease, conditions allowing. Scopes on taller mounts make observing low down objects easier I find. 

tmbtak01.JPG

I can see now that you're going to be enjoying some crisp, contrasty and detailed views.

My Mars 2003 Filter by Sirius Optics has been idle. But this might help you figue it out. I keep a file of pictures taken of a lightbulb with the filter over the lens. Un-scientific - but it gives you a comparative hint.

Here's through the 2003 Mars Filter:

59eaf24f78331_SiriusOpticsMars2003Filter.thumb.JPG.84f908a14f72965774b2b063bae1f6fa.JPG

And this be the Baader Moon and Skyglow:

59eaf2976bdd4_BaaderMultibandMoonandSkyglowFilter.thumb.JPG.4607b82a0a1578a00ccc9e720a1f1ba4.JPG

Hope it helps a bit. I didn't think to use the Baader in 2003. But it's now on my list of things to do next year. So thanks for the idea!

Dave

PS - I think Sirius is still making the Mars-Filter, so you might wish to go a Googling.

36 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Slow ones do, at smaller sizes, but a fast 14" like yours would do nicely :) 

Initially I was disappointed with my dob in comparison to the 8SE, but as I used it a few times, was blessed with still and transparent nights where I could do serious comparisons between the two, there have been occasions where the dob really outperformed the 8SE.

That is mainly on DSO tho... the 14" showed the nebulae, clusters and Galaxies much brighter and easier to see than through the 8", "derr I hear you say, it's a much bigger mirror". 

Yes a bigger mirror, but the dob only really shined during the nights of the darkest nights/skies and it only really outperformed the 8" on Jupiter and Saturn once... again those were nights of exceptionally good seeing. (Not including the night of when the SCT had a filthy rear cell)

Generally power for power the planetary detail is similar to the SCT, except brighter on 14". But when I push the 14" past 400X (sometimes 470X) the view starts to go soft.

So the key with a bigger scope on planets is seeing...

45 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

My Mars 2003 Filter by Sirius Optics has been idle. But this might help you figue it out. I keep a file of pictures taken of a lightbulb with the filter over the lens. Un-scientific - but it gives you a comparative hint.

Here's through the 2003 Mars Filter:

59eaf24f78331_SiriusOpticsMars2003Filter.thumb.JPG.84f908a14f72965774b2b063bae1f6fa.JPG

And this be the Baader Moon and Skyglow:

59eaf2976bdd4_BaaderMultibandMoonandSkyglowFilter.thumb.JPG.4607b82a0a1578a00ccc9e720a1f1ba4.JPG

Hope it helps a bit. I didn't think to use the Baader in 2003. But it's now on my list of things to do next year. So thanks for the idea!

Dave

PS - I think Sirius is still making the Mars-Filter, so you might wish to go a Googling.

The mars filter is definitely harder/more aggressive than the neodymium...

Thankng you right back about informing me about the Mars 2003 filter... I'll be checking out its availability.

1 hour ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Dave, I just had a look in eBay and googled Mars 2003 filter and I'll tell you that you are a lucky man to be a proud owner of that filter, there's non available anywhere... I'm sure some will be after September tho... :-D but then that's too late...

It's ok, I'm sure I'll have amazing views with the gear and filters I own.

1 minute ago, Mr Spock said:

I'l be using the C9.25. I suspect my views will be poor though as anything below 30° is usually plagued by poor seeing.

True that... like I suggested above, time for a July/August holiday in Barbados.

Archived